Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Could probably make an MMA version of this show too now that I think of it

Lee Murray
Evan Tanner
Josh Fabia/Diego Sanchez
The cool ass ref that got busted with drugs (and I believe guns)...gotta be a story there
Travis Fulton

Just off the top of my head

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Watched the Pillman one. Not too bad. Not a huge fan when some of the people being interviewed are doing their own "shoots" to try and put themselves over. The show is at its best when the focus is on the subject and not those around them disputing versions of it. Felt like it could have been a better story of Pillman's life, but it was still worth watching.

Reactions: Kaner9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pillman‘s sister is a saint

Poor Brian Pillman Jr. Guy had a really shitty childhood. f*** whoever his stepdad was, I hope he rots

Reactions: joestevens29

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I'm surprised they didn't reach out to Jericho on the Pillman one, he had some insights into Pillman in his books when he got into the WWE. Laughed at Bisch trying to cover up the release as part of a plan between Pillman and him. Pillman ran a con on Eric. I remember watching Pillman at Stampede Wrestling, he was an amazing talent, played the face real well and carried Bruce Harts decrepit a$$ around the ring (I mean lets be honest, Bruce was a paunching I think mid 30 year old guy wearing a bandana and tucking his jeans into his cowboy boots. He was more doofus then cool guy, and he leaned on Pillman's work rate. Bruce sucked).

Pillman did an amazing job of selling the loose cannon gimmick, it was old school kayfabe where he was living that gimmick in and out of the ring and even conning his friends. But the suicide of his first wife destroyed him, it didn't help that it feels like Melanie feels like a manipulative un caring monster. But everyone in that family is really a victim of Brian. Glad to see his son has found some happiness though.

The Dynamite Kid one could be a rough one to watch because behind the curtain and out of the ring, Dynamite was a monster, but that's how he was raised.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Could probably make an MMA version of this show too now that I think of it

Lee Murray
Evan Tanner
Josh Fabia/Diego Sanchez
The cool ass ref that got busted with drugs (and I believe guns)...gotta be a story there
Travis Fulton

Just off the top of my head
I'd love to see the top 2 on your list...

Reactions: CDJ

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Pillman‘s sister is a saint

Poor Brian Pillman Jr. Guy had a really shitty childhood. f*** whoever his stepdad was, I hope he rots

Some of the Pilman stuff was hard to watch. Tough go for the kids.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I finally watched the Pillman episode. It was alright. Something felt a bit off to me, almost like they didn't emphasize the most interesting parts. Can't really put my finger on it.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The Nick Cage one was messed up but was hard to look away. I loved ECW and that type of hardcore wrestling back then but it's time to move on. It was just gratuitous.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Nick Cage one was messed up but was hard to look away. I loved ECW and that type of hardcore wrestling back then but it's time to move on. It was just gratuitous.

that’s mudshow wrestling for ya

I respect how ridiculously tough they are but I do not respect how ridiculously stupid they are

Gage def gonna die of an OD at some point in the next 5 years. I hope I’m wrong because I don’t want that for anybody but I’m just pulling from what I heard and saw on that DSOTR. He says he isn’t gonna live long and seems suspect. His girl seems suspect. I hope they’ll live another 40 years together but it seems that would be miraculous

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Meh, the Nick Gage one didn't do it for me. It's just everything stupid about backyard wrestling and the crap the Juggalos all do. Too many people like Bixenspan were on Twitter acting like if you didn't come out of it a huge Nick Gage fan there was something wrong with you. All it made me realize is how insane Moxley really is. Also, why do I think Gage is going to show up in AEW in some way shape or form?

CZW has some pretty messed up real life stories surrounding it that could have been done.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Agree about Nick Gage. I didnt think it was that interesting story. Kind of predicable actually.

Hardcore wrestler develops a drug/pain pill problem due to his wrestling style. Then steals to feed his habit and goes to jail. Not really shocking. Not really interesting either. I also think his "popularity" was oversated on the show. I think if you ask 98% of wrestling fans who is Nick Gage is (before Vice show aired) they wouldn't know who he is.

Death match wrestling may have a cult following but it is a very very small crowd.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
And rightfully so it’s a very, very small crowd. I don’t understand the appeal

he’s 100% gonna end up in AEW. With Nick Mondo, Moxley, and Kingston there I feel that it’s only a matter of time and we’re gonna have to listen to more of this redemption bullshit until Gage eventually does something stupid and we pretend he never got put on national tv

I went into it with an open mind about Gage and I left thinking he’s a complete Neanderthal. He even kinda looks like a troglodyte. It’s uncanny

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I mean it’s probably a good story for DSOTR in the sense the producers clearly like human interest bits (A lot of the Pillman story was that) but I don’t have to walk away wanting to see more of that trash wrestling.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
73455569-BDC1-4223-821A-2E8BAA2E2476.jpeg

Which one Nick Gage? I cant say for certain

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

he’s 100% gonna end up in AEW. With Nick Mondo, Moxley, and Kingston there I feel that it’s only a matter of time and we’re gonna have to listen to more of this redemption bullshit until Gage eventually does something stupid and we pretend he never got put on national tv

I went into it with an open mind about Gage and I left thinking he’s a complete Neanderthal. He even kinda looks like a troglodyte. It’s uncanny

I got the perception that Gage could neither actually wrestling or do a competent promo. I want to see AEW succeed but I have not desire to see that guy on TV again.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
he’s 100% gonna end up in AEW.
I think AEW have finally figured it out that these hardcore style wrestlers are very useless outside those type of matches.

Jimmy Havoc was a disaster. Janela is no good. Same with Luther.
Even Kingston is bad in the ring but he can keep his spot as he is good on the mic. They can use him as a mouthpiece for other wrestlers if need be.

Reactions: Kaner9

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

If he showed up on an AEW show the entire crowd would lose their collective minds. There's a reason he's so incredibly over and the countless other guys who do this aren't and Mox said it: He has IT.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he showed up on an AEW show the entire crowd would lose their collective minds. There's a reason he's so incredibly over and the countless other guys who do this aren't and Mox said it: He has IT.

people crave reality in wrestling and he’s definitely real, I’ll say that much

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
lol Gage is ass. I enjoy hardcore garbage as much as the next but he isn even good at it. Keep him off tv PLEASE.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
With AEW trying to be legit and knowing that they need these TV deals going they will never ever have a guy like Nick Gage working matches, frankly the guy was never trained as a wrestler, the whole death match stuff, while it has its uses once in a blue moon, is basically the worst amateur crap aspect of pro wrestling. At least with ECW among all the garbage wrestlers they had. They also had really strong actual wrestlers.

I came out of that story without an ounce of sympathy for Nick, he's going to be dead in a couple of years, his girlfriend and him still look like they're partaking. Mick Foley has talked about one of his regrets being that he popularized the back yard trash wrestling industries. I respect wrestlers that can work a match and can tell a story with their bodies and offer more then throwing people through lightbulbs. Ironically there's a video of Gage lighting an opponent on fire floating around today, and it was just another stunt gone wrong. Its amazing what this guy does for probably a couple of hundred bucks a night, and honestly it doesn't make him tough, it doesn't make him a story teller, it doesn't make him anything but a moron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad