Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
New-Jack-Denzel.jpg

New Jack cut 2 arteries of a 17 year old in the ring. If it had gone a little differently, the kid could easily have died. That's some serious scarring on his head.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't realize how short LOD's stay was in the WWF. Felt like they were around so much longer.

Never realized how messed up Hawk was until watching last night's episode.

For how big they were they could've been so much more. Yet another sad story.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've really enjoyed the series.

On the Herb Abrams UWF one it really helps to read Mick's first book as he dedicates some time to it, and it was zanier then this documentary was

The Doctor D David Schultz one was excellent, I'm surprised that Schultz agreed to be in it as he spent years not wanting to talk about it.

I loved the Brawl for It all one because of the conflict between Cornette and Skidmark. I felt kind of sorry for Bart Gunn and when I saw the Butterbean part, it was pretty clear that he didn't feel great about having to go out and punish Bart. Also the JBL knockout is still uncomfortable to watch.

The best one for me is still the New Jack one. I'm amazed that anyone would willingly work with him. The liberties that he took with other wrestlers bodies combined with his I don't give a crap factor was stunning. On top of hit, he fricken stabbed a guy in the ring. The sad thing is he comes across as a pretty smart individual who had a extreme understanding of the business.
I find after watching these that I'm looking for the books. I never really knew about UWF, but am curious to read more.

Cornette and Skidmark, oh what I laugh everytime those two have to talk about each other.

The show is sure giving some insight to behind the scenes, but man is there so much that is so sad. Makes you wonder though what other less known people went through. People that weren't making the money that were working for organizations that really didn't care about the guys. At least at some point WWF would suspend guys or put them through programs, but did this lesser known companies do anything? Not an easy business to be in.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Hopefully Cornette and Russo aren't at each other in the Owen episode. Doesn't feeling like their decades long pissing contest would fit in well with that topic. It should be about Owen, and what went wrong, not the grievances of those two.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was Russo responsible for the blue blazer? If he was I wouldn’t mind Cornette going in on him again.

Good episode about the road warriors. Not as compelling as prior episodes imo but still very well done and a basically a good history lesson about them

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm not prepared for next week...

Owen Hart was the first wrestler I had the luck of meeting back when i was 6 years old. They did a house show in St John's back in 1996. Owen & Bulldog vs The Godwins. I was young, but I remember my dad saying something to Owen that had him cracking up (probably his Newfoundland accent) haha.

Reactions: Loosie and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not prepared for next week...

Owen Hart was the first wrestler I had the luck of meeting back when i was 6 years old. They did a house show in St John's back in 1996. Owen & Bulldog vs The Godwins. I was young, but I remember my dad saying something to Owen that had him cracking up (probably his Newfoundland accent) haha.

I think mine was Brutus Beefcake

that was.....something

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't met wrestlers, but I did slap hands with Virgil and Scott Steiner around 1993. Things can only go down from there.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Beyond a lot of Stampede wrestling guys, especially since most of them like Gamma and Gerry Morrow worked in a auto shop next to my dads business. I met Stu when he came in looking for directions. Bruce Hart was a really creepy substitute teacher who also wore cowboy boots with his jeans tucked in and was a complete doofus. Keith was also a subsititue and was way more normal then sunglass inside jeans in boots doofus Bruce, and he was creepy, we were in junior high school bruce, junior high school

I had Hogan, Savage, Beefcake and some other wrestlers partying in the hotel room next to mine at the polo park in Winnipeg and hammered on their door to tell them to keep it down.

I met Lance Storm.

Bad News Allen was filling up his car next to me and when I took a step to say hi he growled at me a F off. I totally marked out.

I sat next to Bret at a hitman game, he was super nice.

We almost ran JR foley off the road at Stampede wrestling by mistake.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't realize how short LOD's stay was in the WWF. Felt like they were around so much longer.

Never realized how messed up Hawk was until watching last night's episode.

For how big they were they could've been so much more. Yet another sad story.

I think that may have to do with them having 2 stints. Their 1st one was very short. When they came back in 97, I also didn't realize how short their first stay was.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad