Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Presume you originally misunderstood my post, but I just want to make clear that it was praise. You have no idea how annoyed I am reading idiots who saw this documentary and still insist on parroting the WWE bullcrap, your post was a very welcome antidote to that nonsense.
I 100% read it wrong, haha. I meant to quote you again but yeah, I did a complete 180 on it. I was always wishing that Martha would ease up a bit and let the WWE honour Owen, but after learning more I’m glad she’s standing her ground on it. She’s a rockstar.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Presume you originally misunderstood my post, but I just want to make clear that it was praise. You have no idea how annoyed I am reading idiots who saw this documentary and still insist on parroting the WWE bullcrap, your post was a very welcome antidote to that nonsense.

I was expecting it. That's part of why I made the comment about wrestling twitter yesterday.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This entire series is not making Vince look good at all. You'd almost think that the creators of this show have an agenda against WWE.

it seems that way but at the end of the day these are issues that Vince basically paid to go away and now they’re all coming back into prominence. He wasn’t gonna be able to hide forever, especially with the way things are today. And I’m completely fine with it, it’s time for him to pay the piper

Roddy Piper blaming Russo for Owens death is something I 100% support

listening to Undertakers podcast with Pardon My Take

his first couple sentences had me going “....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....right”

“WWE DOESNT LEAVE ANYTHING TO CHANCE, RIGHT? ITS WELL THOUGHT OUT”

not sure Martha agrees there, Take

Reactions: Kaner9

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't really care for the episode. I was expecting more to be honest.

I don't think there was one wow moment for me as everything that was said has been said before.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They definitely could have done a two part, I think.
A lot of the other episodes are things I've read and heard about in the past, but they all had some interesting tidbits that I never had heard before.

This one just seemed like it was over and all I was thinking was "that's all they got".

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
The Owen episode is so sad. His family is strong. Man that's an unfortunate event that happened.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Definitely sad to re-live, but it was great to see that his family seems to be doing well. Not sure I would have had the capacity to handle it.

WWE was in town for a Raw taping three weeks before that PPV and I went with a few friends. I didn't remember Owen being on the show, so I looked up the results and it looks like him and Jeff Jarrett wrestled in a dark match against Edge & Christian. I'm not 100% sure I was seated in time for that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For the Owen thing... I have refused to read/watch stuff. It's just so heartbreaking. Every video of this guy showed him to be a family man who wanted to be with his family. It's so f***ing painful thinking this guy's family lost him. It's so f***ing unreal. For a stupid stunt. One that doesn't make a difference if he does or doesn't do.

So yeah.. this is tough. And I wish he had his family. It sucks.

Reactions: KIRK

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
They definitely could have done a two part, I think.

They didn't get into much of the reaction from the Hart family other than the fact that there was conflict between them and Martha. It'd be nice to hear their side of the story. I'm also am a little surprised they didn't have Bret in this episode.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think it was Alvarez who said it and he had a good point- the whole point of the blue blazer was to parody Sting coming down from the rafters. Since it was a parody shouldn’t they have strapped him up to the point where it would take him 5 min to unhook himself (because it did actually take sting a long time to unhook himself)?

and you know, not use one flimsy sail boat clip?

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They didn't get into much of the reaction from the Hart family other than the fact that there was conflict between them and Martha. It'd be nice to hear their side of the story. I'm also am a little surprised they didn't have Bret in this episode.

Bret and Martha (and I assume some and/or majority of the Hart Family) do not talk at all. The only person or persons from the Harts that have any interaction with Owens kids are probably Natalya and Harry.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Bret and Martha (and I assume some and/or majority of the Hart Family) do not talk at all. The only person or persons from the Harts that have any interaction with Owens kids are probably Natalya and Harry.

I guess it's tough for the show producers because it feels as if this episode was all about getting Martha's story out there. I'm assuming she might not have agreed to be on the show if they were gonna do a two sided episode. It would have been disrespectful to Owen and his family if there was a back and forth on this particular episode.

I'm sure there are places I can find the Hart family's opinions on the matter. I don't particularly care if Martha and WWE ever make up, but seeing the conflict between the Hart family and Martha is quite sad.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I guess it's tough for the show producers because it feels as if this episode was all about getting Martha's story out there. I'm assuming she might not have agreed to be on the show if they were gonna do a two sided episode. It would have been disrespectful to Owen and his family if there was a back and forth on this particular episode.

I'm sure there are places I can find the Hart family's opinions on the matter. I don't particularly care if Martha and WWE ever make up, but seeing the conflict between the Hart family and Martha is quite sad.
It's pretty simple: pretty much all of them except Brett turned on her and sided with Vince so either they or their husbands could get jobs with the WWF. They were LITERALLY committing elder abuse against their own parents trying to bully them into settling.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

I do follow Natalya on social media, she did post on Owen Harts birthday so there’s that. Also going through other posts, she does reply back to Oje on Instagram on pictures and stuff.

Im sure she knows more than what she’s posting, not sure how her mom Ellie feels about Martha..

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
BTW, does anybody else get the sense that JR has been throwing shade at WWE during his appearances on these episodes?

He's been pretty bitter for quite some time. Can't really blame him to a large degree.

Regarding Bret not being in the newest episode, I thought that I read that they asked him but he either decline or just didn't get back to them. Given that we've heard the other side of things it's not necessarily a bad thing to keep it largely from Martha Hart's perspective for once.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Bret's book has an excellent take on his side of the story, and it comes across as pretty honest. Heath McCoy's book on Stampede Wrestlings history is also a good unbiased book.

Martha pretty much hated the Harts as soon as she married into that family. While this was Martha's episode, there was a lot that was left out of the story that should have been there.

Both sides were skirting the edge of legal misconduct during the whole situation.

Once Martha had the settlement she basically cast Bret and I think it was Keith aside like garbage even though they'd stood up for her side of the case.

She basically slammed the door in his face and cut him off from the kids.

I don't even know if Nattie is allowed much if any access to the kids, but I'm not sure on that one, mainly because of the Martha and Nattie and Jim situation.

I'm fully on Martha's side from a legal perspective and exposing Vince and the WWE's role in Owen's death was absolutely the right thing to do and she showed a lot of determination on that front. But Martha could have been a better human in other aspects.

Reactions: Damien Darhk

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think it was Alvarez who said it and he had a good point- the whole point of the blue blazer was to parody Sting coming down from the rafters. Since it was a parody shouldn’t they have strapped him up to the point where it would take him 5 min to unhook himself (because it did actually take sting a long time to unhook himself)?

and you know, not use one flimsy sail boat clip?

They had shown in the episode a previous version of the gag where Owen got stuck and needed help getting down. If I recall correctly, the planned gag for the PPV was that Owen would be lowered and get stuck 5-10 feet over the ring for a few moments, then he'd release himself for the comedy bump.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bret's book has an excellent take on his side of the story, and it comes across as pretty honest. Heath McCoy's book on Stampede Wrestlings history is also a good unbiased book.

Martha pretty much hated the Harts as soon as she married into that family. While this was Martha's episode, there was a lot that was left out of the story that should have been there.

Both sides were skirting the edge of legal misconduct during the whole situation.

Once Martha had the settlement she basically cast Bret and I think it was Keith aside like garbage even though they'd stood up for her side of the case.

She basically slammed the door in his face and cut him off from the kids.

I don't even know if Nattie is allowed much if any access to the kids, but I'm not sure on that one, mainly because of the Martha and Nattie and Jim situation.

I'm fully on Martha's side from a legal perspective and exposing Vince and the WWE's role in Owen's death was absolutely the right thing to do and she showed a lot of determination on that front. But Martha could have been a better human in other aspects.
Brett was the one who got upset with her for deciding to settle. Anyone trying to cast Martha in a bad light is a fool, go to the Observer site and listen to the free interview Dave did with her. Oh, and the "Legal Misconduct" by Martha's lawyers was a misguided attempt to stop the kids being stooges for Vince and bullying Stu and Helen into settling (essentially elder abuse). Christ, what do you think Owen would've thought seeing his siblings do everything to block his widow from getting justice and abusing their parents just to get tossed some crumbs from the guy who is (quite frankly) the person most culpable for his death (and before any McOphant jumps in: Vince fired the pro who had been doing the stunts because A) The guy flat out refused to do it in the unsafe and reckless manner Vince wanted and B) Vince didn't want to pay the guy so found someone both cheap and incompetent. Seriously, he should've done f***ing time for this)?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I happened to watch the Owen Hart episode and then follow it up by watching the first episode of the Undertaker documentary.

Very interesting the juxtaposition between hearing Martha Hart speak about Vince and the general view of him in the episode versus how glowingly he was represented in the last ride.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to how close Vince and Mark are, and what kind of relationship they have but the timing of it almost felt like it was trying to counteract any ill press Vince or the WWE received from the Vice episode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad