Speculation: Dark Horse Trades

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
LOTS of players on the Minnesota Wild could be considered 'darkhorse' trade bait.

Why? Because the Minnesota front office has repeatedly stated they just want to "tweak" the rosters and continue to go for the playoffs year in, year out.

However, after what the Wild have been doing over the last few weeks, the new edict coming down from ownership that the GM has free reign to do what they feel will make the team better in the long run, AND the key injuries to the team, I think it has become pretty apparent to most people that this current Wild team, as constructed, is just not championship viable any longer.

I think a full rebuild is in order in Minnesota (won't be easy due to some contracts) and despite the team having some still in their prime players struggling, with others performing only about average, I think some of those same players could be traded off, the Wild can get draft picks or some minor leaguers with promise, and go from there.

Jason Zucker, Mikael Granlund, and Jared Spurgeon head up the group of Wild players I think can really flourish with a change of scenery and coaching philosophy.
Certainly there are others, but I think those three aren't talked about as much as trade bait...but COULD possibly be dealt in favor of going into the next phase with the team.

I'd be really excited for them to make waves, mostly because the Nino trade was such a nightmare I'm really curious to see if that pattern continues and they give PC a run for his money haha

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
NSH is going to have serious problems resigning their Blue line. Its something I'm surprised isn't talked about more. I'm curious to see how they manage it
Everybody but josi is signed for at least 4 more years. I said pk to save money to put toward another scoring forward. Plus he's a dark horse. Meaning it probably won't happen

Reactions: Meeqs

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Dark dark horse would be Ryan Getzlaf, still a top line center with a lot to give to a team in the playoffs but his contract would be the tough part to deal.

I have to believe any team lacking center depth and having alot of capspace(Montreal? Islanders? Columbus?) would be all over this

Brock Nelson ?

While I don't see the Islanders unloading potential UFAs I could see trades where they pick up a player then trade a UFA in return(who then gets delt to a 3rd team). Something like Panarin for Eberle++++

Reactions: NyIander

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You really think NYR would consider moving Skjei?
When they got rid of McDonagh, he looked ready to be a top pair. Now Im not so sure. He could be a really good second pair with a good partner. Problem is we don't really have the partner and I think we play him too much. As a result he has not done as well as a lot of people hoped IMO. So for the right price, yes I do.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
When they got rid of McDonagh, he looked ready to be a top pair. Now Im not so sure. He could be a really good second pair with a good partner. Problem is we don't really have the partner and I think we play him too much. As a result he has not done as well as a lot of people hoped IMO. So for the right price, yes I do.

Interesting. If we want to get super dark horse a trade around him and Zadorov in Colorado would be interesting

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I'd be really excited for them to make waves, mostly because the Nino trade was such a nightmare I'm really curious to see if that pattern continues and they give PC a run for his money haha

I honestly think, aside from the obvious struggles of Nino in Minnesota, that the trade to bring in Victor Rask in his place was more about the original "tweak" the roster for the playoffs.
If things really do become apparent to the front office that this team as is, simply is NOT a real contender, then we should NOT be seeing anymore foolish trades like the one we saw with Nino for V. Rask.

At least, I hope not.
A full rebuild means looking hard at what you have on your roster, and getting the utmost value you can for each and every one, understanding that things will be painful in the short term.

Wild have a week to decide a direction.
Whatever direction they choose, I just hope they go for it all the way....NO HALF ARSED CRAP!

If they choose true rebuild, the returns for the rest of their players should be better.
If the FO really is as bad as PC, then I will just have to wear some leftover Maple Leaf brown bags over my head.....

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
  • Hinostroza (highest quality of an abundance of undersized middle-six forwards)
  • Stephenson (throw-in piece in a trade)
  • Killorn
  • Barbashev
  • Ben Harpur
  • Nieves (size and speed will be appealing for a playoff run)
  • Noesen
  • Trevor Lewis
  • Brock McGinn
  • Danton Heinen

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
  • Hinostroza (highest quality of an abundance of undersized middle-six forwards)
  • Stephenson (throw-in piece in a trade)
  • Killorn
  • Barbashev
  • Ben Harpur
  • Nieves (size and speed will be appealing for a playoff run)
  • Noesen
  • Trevor Lewis
  • Brock McGinn
  • Danton Heinen

The biggest surprise here is that any team would be interested in any of those guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad