Injury Report: Darcy Kuemper (Marinating in Iowa)

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Backstrom didn't get more starts because when Kuemper struggled, Backs got hit with the flu. Then when they got healthy, Kuemper rattled off a few really good games. Now with Kuemper hurt, it's Backstrom's net again. Let's see what he can do.

Totally agree. Been a string of weird circumstances, but I just think we are really underselling what Backstrom can do (maybe I'm just being hopeful).

In hindsight it makes me think we should have started the year with Backstrom the ipsofacto starter and Keumps the backup, but it's hard saying that when Keumps was stellar his first 10 starts.

At any rate, nows his time to show us, hopefully the Backstrom of old is ready to shine and earn that payday..

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
With Backs it's so hard to know where his playing level is at these last few years. The main reason is that he just hasn't been healthy. But another large reason is that Yeo just doesn't handle his goaltenders all that well and tends to run them into the ground due to overuse. Which means that other option is getting limited time in net to find some consistency. And for a goalie with Backs' skill set, fundamentals and timing are vital to how he performs. That's his whole game, he does not have the athleticism or size to bail himself out like other goaltenders. Don't give him any kind of meaningful time and he's just not his real self.

Top_Scorah19

Sep 4, 2006
Whats the update on Harding? Also, any chance Curry gets some playing time? I've never seen Curry play...wondering if hes any good

Billy Mays Here*

Whats the update on Harding? Also, any chance Curry gets some playing time? I've never seen Curry play...wondering if hes any good

Curry isn't any better than what we have now and Harding's career is likely over.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Can someone explain to me what Harding has been upto since coming back from his suspension?

Played two games in Iowa-

Game 1 he played stellar and looked great.

Game 2 he left in the second period due to dehydration, which ended in him getting hospitalized and was apparently a MS symptom. Hasnt played since.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Basically... our goaltenders are a complete disaster right now, and we need 2 new goaltenders for the roster if we want any hope.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Basically... our goaltenders are a complete disaster right now, and we need 2 new goaltenders for the roster if we want any hope.
Too pessimistic an outlook. Kuemper can rebound. He has the skill and has shown he can be great albeit for short stretches. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Incidentally, what exactly is his lower-body injury, anyone know? I heard he's out at least a week but that's all I know.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Too pessimistic an outlook. Kuemper can rebound. He has the skill and has shown he can be great albeit for short stretches. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Incidentally, what exactly is his lower-body injury, anyone know? I heard he's out at least a week but that's all I know.

The problem is, Kuemper is downright awful right now and has been since the beginning of November.

I don't trust EITHER of our goaltenders.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Video of Kuemper's last game:

- D gives up a breakaway, Kuemper can't stop it.
- D doesn't cover a guy in the slot, Kuemper doesn't react in time.
- D is nowhere near the guy at the backdoor, not on Kuemper at all.
- Ugly, ugly goal where Kuemper's not up tight against the post.
- Shot bounces off the post to a guy at the backdoor, Kuemper's turned around on this one.

I put one of those on the D, one of those on Kuemper, and three of them kind of a joint effort. But man, that's just some bad defense in general coming from Iowa.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
Oofda, Iowa is terrible so it's hard to judge Darcy, but he still managed to let one absolute stinker of a goal in where he wasn't tight up against the post. Those goals is what killed the Wild, and he's still giving them up in Iowa. I'm dreading his return tomorrow. But to be optimistic, he has played his best hockey on the road this year, and he's always played well when he's had competition.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I have Kuemper on my fantasy team. Now that he's back with the team, what do you guys expect his workload to be going forward? I was thrilled with his early season play, but then he just sat on my bench for a while until getting injured. Will he be the starter again down the stretch, and do you guys think he can return to a high level of play?

I'm trying to decide which of Kuemper or Enroth (now that he's been traded to Dallas) would be better to keep for the remainder of the season, as I need to drop one of the 2 to pick up a defenseman.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I have Kuemper on my fantasy team. Now that he's back with the team, what do you guys expect his workload to be going forward? I was thrilled with his early season play, but then he just sat on my bench for a while until getting injured. Will he be the starter again down the stretch, and do you guys think he can return to a high level of play?

I'm trying to decide which of Kuemper or Enroth (now that he's been traded to Dallas) would be better to keep for the remainder of the season, as I need to drop one of the 2 to pick up a defenseman.

I think right now, he'll just be every 3rd/4th/5th game to give Dubnyk a break. It's anyone's guess whether he'll have him mental issues figured out. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess that he will not be as good as he was those first 10 games.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Minimal. He blew all four tires earlier this year and didn't seem like he'd done all that much to fix the problems while he was in Iowa. Expect to see him get starts against teams with only the most anemic offense.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Dump Kuemper... he's not an NHL caliber goaltender right now and will be lucky to even get into a game the rest of this month.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
After the season they need to assess whether they still think Kuemper is the goalie of the future for this team. Send him to a sports psychologist or something and see if the mental issues can be worked out. But there's no way I want to go into next season with him as the designated starter.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I say trade him now and pick up a goalie at the end of the year for cheap.

Actually, that would mean Backstrom backing up and playing occasionally with a chance to get hurt.. so maybe not. On that note, why has Backs been the backup instead of Kuemper the past few games?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Kuemper's still young. I think him and Dubnyk can compete for the starting position next season.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You mean Kuemper can try to prove he deserves to be the back up behind Dubnyk, right?

Cause my confidence in the kid at this point is so low it might just be in the negatives.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You mean Kuemper can try to prove he deserves to be the back up behind Dubnyk, right?

Cause my confidence in the kid at this point is so low it might just be in the negatives.

The good news is, if it gets any lower we can keep Kuemper in the minors for a season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Kuemper has had very high highs and very low lows. We all know he has potential to be a starter.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm starting to think it's possible he could go unclaimed on waivers.. hard to keep Backs as the number 2 the rest of the way though, so he probably stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad