Injury Report: Darcy Kuemper (Marinating in Iowa)

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He can cut it and we have seen him cutting it. He just can't handle the pressure of carrying a team that's playing bad at this stage of his career. Needs a clear backup role with the only real pressure coming from performing well enough to earn more starts in the future.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Just play Backstrom. He's probably not capable of stealing any games, but his positioning is second to none and his technique is still there. He need starts. Serious amount of them in a row to get to his true form of today. Then hopefully with some new found trust in their goalie the team can get back on their early season dominating ways and nobody has to steal any games.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Kind of agree. But if you give Backs more than one start per week, his limbs are gonna explode and he would end up being a goalie version of Monty Python's Black Knight.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Kuemper should re-negotiate his contract to that he can play in the AHL.

It would be best for both parties at this time.

Darcy himself should agree to that.

Is this even possible?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kuemper should re-negotiate his contract to that he can play in the AHL.

It would be best for both parties at this time.

Darcy himself should agree to that.

Is this even possible?

His contract has nothing to do with him being in the NHL. He's not waiver exempt anymore, and someone would claim him.

Slick Willy*

Kind of agree. But if you give Backs more than one start per week, his limbs are gonna explode and he would end up being a goalie version of Monty Python's Black Knight.

I don't understand this way of thinking. Not when a guy like Brodeur is still going. Hasek went forever. As did Belfour and Roy.

The guy is a goalie. A professional goalie. We are paying him $3.75 million dollars this year.

For cripes sake just play the effin guy.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Backstroms health is always going to be in question given how quickly he can go from healthy to the IR.

That said, he should be our #1 for the foraeeable future. While he's not great anymore, he's at least serviceable, which is more than can be said for Kuemper at the moment.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I'm a fan of Bäckström and I think that he can't handle the big workload anymore. Of course I was exaggerating and being sarcastic.. but still. Bäcks isn't getting younger and he has had problems with his groins during the years.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I was under the impression that he wasn't recovered from the flu, which is why Kuemper kept getting starts, and Kuemper put together a few good games in a row.

5v5 save % since Dec 25:
Kuemper - 0.941
Curry - 0.889
Backs - 0.800

Since Dec 1
Kuemper - 0.907
Backstrom - 0.893
Curry - 0.889

So for the last two weeks and for the last five weeks, Kuemper > Backstrom.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Backstrom has been consistently below average this year. Pretty much every start. With Kuemper at least there is hope you get good Kuemper. He put together a 3-game streak of good play last week then the team had a horrible game against the Stars. Kuemper wasn't terrible in that game. He was terrible last game (at least the last two goals he gave up were pretty bad). Seems to me he is still the better option at this point, still.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
He can cut it and we have seen him cutting it. He just can't handle the pressure of carrying a team that's playing bad at this stage of his career. Needs a clear backup role with the only real pressure coming from performing well enough to earn more starts in the future.

our goaltending is the only significant drop in play vs last year. the team isn't playing bad--he is. Well both, but with everyone expecting him to be THE guy it's mostly on him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
5v5 Stats

Shots For per 60
2013-14 25.7
2014-15 30.2

Shots Against per 60
2013-14 26.2
2014-15 27.1

Goals For per 60
2013-14 2.0
2014-15 2.5

Goals Against per 60
2013-14 1.8
2014-15 2.7

Corsi For %
2013-14 48.8
2014-15 52.1

Shot %
2013-14 7.9
2014-15 8.3

Save %
2013-14 93.2
2014-15 90.2

They are shooting much better this year with a bit more luck, and are scoring a lot more as a result. Conversely, they are giving up more shots this year and getting worse goaltending, so they are giving up more goals. Puck possession on the whole is better though.

So yeah, I would say the goaltending is the #1 problem, but not the only problem. The defense is not as good as they were last year.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Backstrom's not really been given any real chance to prove himself since early last season. Not even then tbh. Harding kinda won the job immediately. After that it's been a start here and a start there and every little mistake way overblown. Plus bad luck **** and injuries and whatnot.

Not saying that he's the saviour, but he's got the fundamentals down. I know the guy can still stop the puck. Just don't let him stickhandle the mofo.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
I hope Backstrom takes the reigns and really gets in his groove. The last 2 years Backstrom has been ham-stringed with that abdominal injury, but this year he has been (mostly) healthy.

The thing about Backstrom, and it's always been this way, is that when we let him take over the team and play A LOT of games he has always gotten better. He needs to get into his groove. This was always true in the past and why we rode him so hard in some seasons.

Everyone saying he is flat out bad, how do we even know? The guy has started 10 games this year, let the man play. Let Kuemper be the backup not the starter.

Maybe the coaches know something I don't (duh) but like hirawl said; we know he can stop the puck.. Let him find his groove!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Backstrom didn't get more starts because when Kuemper struggled, Backs got hit with the flu. Then when they got healthy, Kuemper rattled off a few really good games. Now with Kuemper hurt, it's Backstrom's net again. Let's see what he can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad