Player Discussion Danton Heinen

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As others have mentioned, the really attractive thing about Heinen as a player is his ability to play anywhere in the lineup. Sometimes fans and announcers overstate a player's ability to do just that, but in Heinen's case, it's true. Not sure if it's just the way he plays, or that he actually does consciously adapt, but his game works on any line. It's hard to overvalue that kind of player in an 82 game season + playoffs. You're going to have injuries...it's just a question of how long and where. To be able to move around a guy like Heinen without worrying about f***ing up chemistry is a real plus for any team.

edit: I also want to mention that I feel like he's the only guy on the team not constantly forcing passes in odd man rushes. Has a lot of confidence in his shot as he should.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As others have mentioned, the really attractive thing about Heinen as a player is his ability to play anywhere in the lineup. Sometimes fans and announcers overstate a player's ability to do just that, but in Heinen's case, it's true. Not sure if it's just the way he plays, or that he actually does consciously adapt, but his game works on any line. It's hard to overvalue that kind of player in an 82 game season + playoffs. You're going to have injuries...it's just a question of how long and where. To be able to move around a guy like Heinen without worrying about f***ing up chemistry is a real plus for any team.

edit: I also want to mention that I feel like he's the only guy on the team not constantly forcing passes in odd man rushes. Has a lot of confidence in his shot as he should.
Swiss Army knife and my 7th player winner but nobody asked my opinion on that one

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Our only UFA that should be prioritized, which is pretty shocking

Obviously JD if the price is right but you aren’t going to over extend yourself there
I wonder if he would sign another 1 year contract at 1 million.

False Start

May 8, 2018
What are we thinking? 4 years x 1.75?

I'm sure he'd love the guarenteed money and the term. Echoing everything positive said here, he's a high floor player, lower ceiling.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

I'm sure he'd love the guarenteed money and the term. Echoing everything positive said here, he's a high floor player, lower ceiling.
I think so. I can see something like
2.5 x 2
2 x 3
1.75 x 4

I do the last two deals pretty easily. I have no issues giving Heinen term. He’s gotten better with age, he’s durable and a high IQ player.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I'd do 3 or 4 years at $2m for him- he's versatile enough that it isn't exclusively a bottom 6 role he's signing for. There isn't a lot of risk with him in a deal like that.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I'd do 3 or 4 years at $2m for him- he's versatile enough that it isn't exclusively a bottom 6 role he's signing for. There isn't a lot of risk with him in a deal like that.

I just can't stomach the 3 mil that we signed Chris Kelly to back in the day. Hopefully 2 or under.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
he's been great this year but overpaying bottom 6 players is exactly how chiarelli squandered our opportunity and flexibility and history shouldn't repeat its self.
Exactly this. Nice player but not the type you lock up. You want to do 1.5 per for 2 years, knock yourself out.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Heinen has been consistently good all year. Playing a much stronger and heavier game than he did in his first stint. He puts in the work. Can plug him in basically anywhere. I think you need to reward that, but you also have to keep in mind his body of work as an NHL'er. It's been a lot of ups and downs. He was a PTO 6 months ago looking to move on to his 4th organization since 2020 trade deadline.

I think it's a mistake to just assume this is what you are getting going forward. The reward should be term IMO. Sure give him that 3-year deal, but don't let that cap hit hurt you in the event he suddenly dips. Needs to be team friendly.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Danton Heinen has gone from the outside to the inner circle with the Bruins this season.
Signed to a professional tryout contract prior to training camp, the versatile veteran winger is now winging it with the likes of David Pastrnak and Pavel Zacha on the top line.
On his way to his current spot, Heinen has made stops on all four lines as well as being a regular penalty killer. He’s been a bargain with a $775,000 price tag, the NHL veteran minimum, on his way to 13 goals, 28 points, and a plus-7.

“You never know in this game, right?” Heinen said Thursday before the Bruins’ 5-2 loss to the Rangers at TD Garden. “There’s ups, there’s downs.

Following two good seasons with the Penguins, Heinen found himself without a lot of options last summer, in large part because so many teams were snug against the salary cap.

Heinen has fit nicely with Pastrnak and Zacha, the trio meshing well as 200-foot players.

“I feel like it’s going pretty well. I’m just trying to build every game and get more comfortable with them, and I just listen to them and see what they want,” Heinen said. “Pasta had three last game, so that’s a good thing seeing him put the puck in the net. I’m just trying to put the puck in the net anyway I can.”

Originally a Bruins draft pick in 2014, Heinen played some with Pastrnak during his first tour of duty in town. The talent was always evident, he said, but he notices changes, too.

“You see as a guy how much he’s grown as a leader in the room,” said Heinen, who was dealt to the Ducks in 2020 before landing with the Penguins. “But I think on the ice, too, he’s grown into himself. He was a kid when he came into the league. People don’t realize how hard he plays and how many battles he wins to create that offense and how hard he is on pucks. I think that gets looked over sometimes.”

In turn, Pastrnak has enjoyed watching the player Heinen has become.

“I would say he’s the same player, but he just has more experience,” Pastrnak said. “He’s been on some great teams and with some world class players, so [he] gained experience and learned from those guys. Experience plays a big part of it once you get a little older and understand the game a little differently. He’s a big part of our team.”

Heinen said he “loves it” in Boston but hasn’t paid much attention to what’s in store beyond this season.

“I kind of block out that stuff,” said Heinen, when asked about a possible contract extension. “Just play and have fun.”

• Love
Reactions: Ladyfan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's earned where he is right now in the lineup. He's also lined himself up to get a multi year contract this offseason. I hope he decides to stick around. I think it's all here for him - he's got the right coach to play for and the right players to play with.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Woodstock has been nominated for the Bill Masterton Trophy:

excellent!!!!
1712335981173.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad