Player Discussion Danton Heinen

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
But you are now...right?

I always thought he was a smart player who was strong on his skates...but...He looks so much better now. He isn't afraid to go into the corners ...his defensive game is better...he is so consistently good...and Pasta and he have chemistry. PLUS...He wants to be here and it shows.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
But you are now...right?

I always thought he was a smart player who was strong on his skates...but...He looks so much better now. He isn't afraid to go into the corners ...his defensive game is better...and Pasta and he have chemistry.
To me he's not the same player he was in his first stint here. He left me frustrated as all hell most of the time. He produced, but I always felt like he was insanely timid. I think the experience he got elsewhere helped him in that regard. He looks more engaged, isn't afraid to take or initiate some body contact and his hockey IQ stands out more to me now. Maybe I'm getting older, I don't know.

I have no problem admitting that I didn't want him back. Right now, I'm happy with how he's played and is playing. No issues at all. In fact, if they can get him signed for 2.25-2.5M for a few seasons I would like it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
But you are now...right?

I always thought he was a smart player who was strong on his skates...but...He looks so much better now. He isn't afraid to go into the corners ...his defensive game is better...he is so consistently good...and Pasta and he have chemistry. PLUS...He wants to be here and it shows.
I am in favor of waiting too see his playoff performance this year until I talk contract with him........

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
To me he's not the same player he was in his first stint here. He left me frustrated as all hell most of the time. He produced, but I always felt like he was insanely timid. I think the experience he got elsewhere helped him in that regard. He looks more engaged, isn't afraid to take or initiate some body contact and his hockey IQ stands out more to me now. Maybe I'm getting older and wiser, I don't know.
fixed it for you.

I also like that no matter what line they put him on he plays hard and doesn't bitch and complain about having different line mates.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Another thing I really respected is the fact that he stuck around until they had something for him.
I hope he remembers this when it comes time to ink a new deal. I can't imagine that the Bruins will be the only team interested in his services.

He is so versatile. Not all players can be moved around the lineup and succeed.

False Start

May 8, 2018
To me he's not the same player he was in his first stint here. He left me frustrated as all hell most of the time. He produced, but I always felt like he was insanely timid. I think the experience he got elsewhere helped him in that regard. He looks more engaged, isn't afraid to take or initiate some body contact and his hockey IQ stands out more to me now. Maybe I'm getting older, I don't know.

I have no problem admitting that I didn't want him back. Right now, I'm happy with how he's played and is playing. No issues at all. In fact, if they can get him signed for 2.25-2.5M for a few seasons I would like it.
I liked Heinen when he came up from the AHL. Then his game never progressed over the years and his skating ability was passed over by the entire league.

This guy clearly took last offseason to work on his skating. He's stronger than ever on his edges and which shows up so he can use his high hockey IQ. While doing this he was also passed on by the entire league in the offseason. They already had a 6 year sample size of his work (it wasn't pretty). I don't blame people who think he stunk prior to this season.

We can't blindly assume every player we sign will go through hard work to improve their overall abilities. But Heinen did that clearly from his days here, Anaheim and Pittsburgh. Jake Debrusk and Grzelcyk are examples of players likely won't ever be able to drastically improve certain areas of their game in a similar fashion, it's just not who they are. Many players aren't able to do this.

I'm glad Heinen did. Trent Frederic is another example of a player who worked on his skating over the offseason as well and improved dramatically.

The real question is, what are their ceilings, and where does their salaries fit into a Cup contending team? What roles are they playing and is it in line with value for their cap hit?

Reactions: BruinDust

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I hope he remembers this when it comes time to ink a new deal. I can't imagine that the Bruins will be the only team interested in his services.

He is so versatile. Not all players can be moved around the lineup and succeed.
He really is a chameleon. Put him on a grinding line and he's good there. Put him on a possession line and he works. Put him with top 6 or bottom 6 guys he's still good.

That type of shit really is invaluable, reminds me a bit like Peverley back in the day

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
fixed it for you.

I also like that no matter what line they put him on he plays hard and doesn't bitch and complain about having different line mates.
He was on a PTO, I don't think he should be doing any bitching and complaining..........

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He really is a chameleon. Put him on a grinding line and he's good there. Put him on a possession line and he works. Put him with top 6 or bottom 6 guys he's still good.

That type of shit really is invaluable, reminds me a bit like Peverley back in the day
Heinen is very good without the puck when it comes to tracking plays in all zones. He’s always in position. Probably his best attribute. Helps him fit like a glove with Zacha and pasta despite not having elite talent. Very impressed with him

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Heinen is very good without the puck when it comes to tracking plays in all zones. He’s always in position. Probably his best attribute. Helps him fit like a glove with Zacha and pasta despite not having elite talent. Very impressed with him
you watch him.
he is really good.
he has a good stick.
good shot. good passer. good awareness.
his main issue isno finish. similar to zacha.
but i think heinen is more complete overall.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

What he brings now is similar to what Hyman brings to Edmonton. Smart, compatible, versatile, can play both wings. High hockey IQ so he can read and react of elite level players despite not having what is consider an elite level skillset (skating, shooting, etc.).

Extending him to me is a no-brainer, for both parties. I don't know why he would leave unless some other team really overpays. He's seen that the grass in other organizations isn't always greener.

I wouldn't be against giving him a 4-year deal. Takes through his age 32 season. I don't know what that AAV is but I'd expect it to be fairly reasonable assuming there is a strong will on both sides to continue the relationship. I don't see a lot of risk there if the number is right.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He’s reminiscent of Don Marcotte

Invaluable player

Was talking to someone very close to the team about him and was told he’s one of the most popular players on the team - his father is apparently a super charismatic guy

I was also told Pastrnak loves playing with him on same line

Hmmm….i read here some opinions he doesn’t

We have so many silly gooses here as my Nana used to describe far out views

He was on a PTO, I don't think he should be doing any bitching and complaining..........
Lolo

Heinen is bitching and complaining

Perfect analogy

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Invaluable player

Was talking to someone very close to the team about him and was told he’s one of the most popular players on the team - his father is apparently a super charismatic guy

Lolo

Perfect analogy
I never said that he was bitching and complaining, I was replying to another poster who said that he was not involved in that, and was saying that a guy coming in on a PTO ,should not be bitching and com plaining............also he is no Donnie Marcotte........

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Invaluable player

Lolo

Perfect analogy

lots of similarities to pj axelsson as well. positionally sound. stick always in the right place. high IQ.
heino has more talent than him, but axe was a better skater.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Danton Heinen is my 7th player award pick. He’s been useful wherever he is slotted. Hell of a showing this season.
Him and Coyle both deserve it, but Heinen has been moved up and down the lineup to fill injuries etc.
He will be important come playoffs time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan Ryan

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I love Heinen in his rookie year, then he becomes allergic to corner contact by year 2. In Pittsburgh he surprised me with added "grit" on boards. I'm OK with this version.

Reactions: bme44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad