Player Discussion Danton Heinen VI - (re-signed 2 years, $2.8M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I defy anyone to make a point in here that has not been before

This is not mocking or out of disrespect

You are all smart people.
Heinen doesn’t swear.

I’d like to know what he would say to Ivan ‘the terrible’ Barbashev when he uses the ‘excuse me, me bad head shot’?

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well see your last sentence is the big problem. He’s really only going to see the ice if there are injuries. Unless there are injuries it’s $2.5m worth of cap for a healthy scratch.

With Miller and the emergence of Clifton, only way Moore sees the ice is if Chara/krug/gryz are injured. With Vaak or lauzon being capable of being called up to play Incase of injury, $2.5 million is a lot of money for a potential 7th or 8th defender.

It’s much more a bad contract than it is a bad player. Considering the depth on defense we currently have.

Fair enough- but when they signed him I think Matt Grz had not clearly emerged as a legit every day player and since Moore is a primarily an LD, he was a safe, low-cost NHLer. Things have changed over this past season with Clifton, as you said, and Grz is in my mind a top 4 LD, and we got a good look at Jeremy Lauzon also who looks like the real deal, and then Urho also showed some potential in his emergency callup. Moore is a luxury contract at this point, but one that I don't think will be hard to move if needed as he's a decent player that would be a regular on a number of teams.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I defy anyone to make a point in here that has not been before

This is not mocking or out of disrespect

You are all smart people.
Heinen's first fight will be against a 45 year old Ovechkin which will immediately make him the most liked player on the team.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
'put together a team"
Did he get Pastrnak, Marchand ,Bergeron, Rask, Krejci krug and even Chara ???
Give him a little credit. .fine but definitely not all

Beleskey contract was a dandy
Hayes trade another dandy
Some very questionable draft picks.
If not for my aforementioned players in my previous post .they wouldn't even had a wiff at the finals possibly the playoffs. BUT as I mentioned give him some credit but definitely not all

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but why do you keep arguing this when nobody is making this statement? Literally nobody is trying to give Sweeney ALL the credit. They're just pointing out that it's ridiculous to give a D minus grade to the literal GM of the year.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Maybe I'm not seeing it, but why do you keep arguing this when nobody is making this statement? Literally nobody is trying to give Sweeney ALL the credit. They're just pointing out that it's ridiculous to give a D minus grade to the literal GM of the year.

"The guy just put together a team that went to the cup finals. Something very few of even the most ardent B's fans and experts thought would happen. How exactly does he get a D-? Because he didn't fill the roster with fighters that would have likely resulted in a playoff non qualifier? :laugh:"

Simply replying to this quote from a poster that DS didn't put up this team together , main pieces were in place when he inherited the team but he did add some pieces hence my statement of him deserving some credit .

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Fantastic! A new thread. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Donnie did you make at least 3 posts in this thread so far telling everyone to basically 'shutup?'

ok... you dont want a debate on Heinen we get it... you arent the owner of this forum or a mod. I challange you to contribute anything other than mocking other posters. dont you have any actual opinions on hockey? your act is very tired here and im surprised your life is so boring that you actually consider it a thrill to play mr policeman here and try to tell the rest of us to just shut up too

honestly when your total message is 'rinse repeat' and then you follow it up with a challange to say something new... you really should take your own advice. we get it... when you arent quoting the godfather or the dictionary, then playing policeman is probably all we can expect.

prove me wrong... give us a take on Heinen yourself. this is obviously a topic that is near and dear your heart if you have posted 3 times to tell the rest of us to shut up. whats your take?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
They are massive. I went to a team event in December and couldn’t believe how massive his hands are. Wagner too.
This reminds me of the time my family went to a Sox game and got to go on the field because my wife's cousin knew the Sox head security guy. It was just after the Bruins won the cup in 2011 and Looch and Rask were there on the field as well. I didn't go up and fawn all over them, but even from a ways away, I was struck with how enormous Lucic's hands were. Even on his big body, he looked like he was wearing Hamburger Helper gloves, but...they were his real hands.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
"The guy just put together a team that went to the cup finals. Something very few of even the most ardent B's fans and experts thought would happen. How exactly does he get a D-? Because he didn't fill the roster with fighters that would have likely resulted in a playoff non qualifier? :laugh:"

Simply replying to this quote from a poster that DS didn't put up this team together , main pieces were in place when he inherited the team but he did add some pieces hence my statement of him deserving some credit .

Ummmm, just because he didn't literally sign every current player DOES NOT mean he didn't "put together" said team.

What about not re-signing guys that were signed by previous groups?
What about not trading guys that were signed by previous groups?
What about extending guys that were signed by previous groups for below market value?

Doing or NOT doing something with a player you inherited from previous GMs can be just as important....if not more important.....than going out and signing guys from outside the org. You can't JUST look at the guys he brought in and say "he is only responsible for THOSE signings." It doesn't work that way.

Reactions: Spooner st

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Ummmm, just because he didn't literally sign every current player DOES NOT mean he didn't "put together" said team.

What about not re-signing guys that were signed by previous groups?
What about not trading guys that were signed by previous groups?
What about extending guys that were signed by previous groups for below market value?

Doing or NOT doing something with a player you inherited from previous GMs can be just as important....if not more important.....than going out and signing guys from outside the org. You can't JUST look at the guys he brought in and say "he is only responsible for THOSE signings." It doesn't work that way.

You surely can't make him.responsible for guys he had nothing to do with drafting or acquiring I.e. DK berg Chara
Pastr Krug. Marchand Rask
These guys were already there
And for the most part resigning players is not a huge hurdle.
Most teams keep the players they want most of the to me not all of the time...
Basically the subject here is getting drifted away.
Its clear DS didn't put this team together he only added some pieces.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You surely can't make him.responsible for guys he had nothing to do with drafting or acquiring I.e. DK berg Chara
These guys were already there.

You clearly can't make him responsible for their original signing. What you CAN make him responsible for is not cutting them, trading them or otherwise moving them away from the roster. They get calls literally every day from other teams gauging interest in moving them.

And, again, you CAN make him responsible for signing guys to below-market deals (or above-market deals....as they case may be). Just because he didn't originally bring them in doesn't negate the fact that he is constantly dealing with extensions and balancing the cap with those players.

Beyond incorrect and it's not even debatable.

GM must be the absolute easiest job in the world if you only have to work a few hours a year to sign a depth piece here-and-there, right? Nothing to it at all.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
These guys were already there
And for the most part resigning players is not a huge hurdle.
Most teams keep the players they want most of the to me not all of the time...
Basically the subject here is getting drifted away.

Are you aware that Sweeney was the assistant GM prior to becoming the GM?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Donnie did you make at least 3 posts in this thread so far telling everyone to basically 'shutup?'

ok... you dont want a debate on Heinen we get it... you arent the owner of this forum or a mod. I challange you to contribute anything other than mocking other posters. dont you have any actual opinions on hockey? your act is very tired here and im surprised your life is so boring that you actually consider it a thrill to play mr policeman here and try to tell the rest of us to just shut up too

honestly when your total message is 'rinse repeat' and then you follow it up with a challange to say something new... you really should take your own advice. we get it... when you arent quoting the godfather or the dictionary, then playing policeman is probably all we can expect.

prove me wrong... give us a take on Heinen yourself. this is obviously a topic that is near and dear your heart if you have posted 3 times to tell the rest of us to shut up. whats your take?

Well for one, I never told anyone to shut up. Stating that I feel that there is nothing new to say that everyone has already stated. You want opinion. I like the player and I like the deal. My expectations of him are high and he could disappoint.

Please note the short and sweet reply with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Well for one, I never told anyone to shut up. Stating that I feel that there is nothing new to say that everyone has already stated. You want opinion. I like the player and I like the deal. My expectations of him are high and he could disappoint.

Please note the short and sweet reply with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Not to get in the middle of this love-fest, but that second sentence is a grammatical nightmare.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Fair enough- but when they signed him I think Matt Grz had not clearly emerged as a legit every day player and since Moore is a primarily an LD, he was a safe, low-cost NHLer. Things have changed over this past season with Clifton, as you said, and Grz is in my mind a top 4 LD, and we got a good look at Jeremy Lauzon also who looks like the real deal, and then Urho also showed some potential in his emergency callup. Moore is a luxury contract at this point, but one that I don't think will be hard to move if needed as he's a decent player that would be a regular on a number of teams.

Honestly I think Moore is better than that and we have a Chara replacement in him. You could pay a UFA twice what Moore makes and end up with a lesser player. Our best game of the playoffs came when Chara sat for Moore. I get it hes not that good but he 'could' fill that role and not force Krug into it.

We just also happen to have a Krug replacement so hes 4th. Good spot to be 4 deep regardless.

I think K Miller is too injured at the moment to trade so him and Moore combined is significant but I love the Moore deal. If Kevan had been a healthy scratch this playoffs but was physically OK hes a good enough player that someone would have given us a mid round pick before the draft to have his services for a year would have been very easy to move him but his injuries are also complicated sounding (broken kneecaps?)

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I really hope Heinen comes in with more of a shooters mentality this season. For this career, he's around a 10.5% shooter. If he can get 200 shots on net, mathematically he should give you around 20 goals. Last year he managed 1.6 shots per game. In order to do 200 SOG he'd need 2.4 shots per game. If he can come in with a more aggressive shooting approach, he could have a decent goal scoring year.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Jakob Vrana just resigned with WAS for $3.35AAV for two years. This guy was drafted 14th overall in 2014.

Danton Heinen, drafted 102 spots later has had a more productive career so far and is signed for $2.8M.

I like Vrana, but Heinen at $2.8m is a bargain.

Edit - I also think the B’s expect a lot more out of Heinen this year.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Are you aware that Sweeney was the assistant GM prior to becoming the GM?

Yes I am and??? I've already mentioned this as Don Sweeney said ..Jeff Gorton was the main player piece when it came to drafting . Assistant GM's are usually yes men to the GM's .
And as I said already .. When Jeff Gorton drafted Marchand
He said "watch this guy he is the sleeper of my draft'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad