Player Discussion Danton Heinen VI - (re-signed 2 years, $2.8M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Been super busy with work the last couple of days and in addition, I didn’t want to suffer permanent brain damage, so I haven’t read any of the old Heinen thread posts.

Safe to say that was a good decision?

I expect that after the Dzingel signing, there will be more hot takes today?

The thing that the anti-Heinen crowd needs to keep in mind is that the Bruins could have easily dealt Heinen and added either Ferland or Dzingel...

But chose not to.

Hmmmmm.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Been super busy with work the last couple of days and in addition, I didn’t want to suffer permanent brain damage, so I haven’t read any of the old Heinen thread posts.

The thing that the anti-Heinen crowd needs to keep in mind is that the Bruins could have chosen to deal Heinen and add either Ferland or Dzingel...but chose not to.

Hmmmmm.
Oh... and I thought you where in a zen retreat to meditate on life's pleasures.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

The thing that the anti-Heinen crowd needs to keep in mind is that the Bruins could have easily dealt Heinen and added either Ferland or Dzingel...

But chose not to.

Hmmmmm.

Hey when you have a chance to pay more for a worse player, you gotta do it. Dzingel is one of the most empty players in the league. Been a negative 5 xGF player every year since 2017 and is legitimately one of the worst defenders in the NHL. He also had 9 nhl points at heinen's age. If the anti Heinen brigade comes out for this one, we are truly beyond saving.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Kovi was my buddy from home - we lived a few miles from each other. Kovi is definitely enlightened- I’m going to wait till next April but I know she will be sending excellent karma the Bruins way
I was saying for Joe to have an initial treatment in Arizona.

Reactions: DKH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just to get us back up to speed from the old thread, Heinen is not good because he's not willing to drop the gloves. Toughness is only physical play and nothing else, and his contract isn't the issue as it was deemed a decent deal for both sides nearly universally.

I don't get the ire this deal has caused here though. The kid can slot up or down on literally any line the team needs him on and he won't be a liability in any role. Sure he's not going to knock people through the glass with a hit, or drop them with 1 punch, but that's not his game. His game is that of a consistently steady player that doesn't put his line mates in a bad spot. While you can say you'd like to see more passion or heat from him, it's simply not who he is as a player. In other words, if your expectations are that he becomes a fighting and hitting machine, it's you that's the problem, not Heinen.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Just to get us back up to speed from the old thread, Heinen is not good because he's not willing to drop the gloves. Toughness is only physical play and nothing else, and his contract isn't the issue as it was deemed a decent deal for both sides nearly universally.

Disliking a player is not synonymous with him being "not good". Disliking his game is not synonymous with him not being good at that game. Ulf Samuelson's game was hitting to hurt, taking out star players, and not answering for it. He was very, very, very good at it. Doesn't make me like him as a player, or like his game (an extreme example to describe the general phenomena, of course).

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I don't get the ire this deal has caused here though. The kid can slot up or down on literally any line the team needs him on and he won't be a liability in any role. Sure he's not going to knock people through the glass with a hit, or drop them with 1 punch, but that's not his game. His game is that of a consistently steady player that doesn't put his line mates in a bad spot. While you can say you'd like to see more passion or heat from him, it's simply not who he is as a player. In other words, if your expectations are that he becomes a fighting and hitting machine, it's you that's the problem, not Heinen.
well said as usual. I also like the fact that we rarely see Danton put himself into a position to get absolutely crushed by an opponent and it isn`t because he avoids corners or board battles, he protects himself well and so far has remained injury free. Think he`s going to have a good year and one that offers more consistency.

Read a few articles as most likely have where he spoke to using his shot more which I`d like to see but what I`d really like to see is him improve his release, I think he has a good shot but it takes him too long to release it

Reactions: LSCII

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

But chose not to.

Hmmmmm.
Just another reason why Sweeney is a D minus GM.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

And I use strawman arguments huh? Good to know

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
As far as the Dzingel vs Heinen argument goes I bet Dzingel outscores Heinen by 20 points this year.

Amazing how the speed and skill crowd doesn't like him because the Bruins didnt sign him

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcobruin

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
well said as usual. I also like the fact that we rarely see Danton put himself into a position to get absolutely crushed by an opponent and it isn`t because he avoids corners or board battles, he protects himself well and so far has remained injury free. Think he`s going to have a good year and one that offers more consistency.

Read a few articles as most likely have where he spoke to using his shot more which I`d like to see but what I`d really like to see is him improve his release, I think he has a good shot but it takes him too long to release it
All good points. The odd thing about his release is that the season before this past one, Heinen showed a pretty quick release on his wrister many times. He has a nice shot, just needs to use it more. He's too unselfish. I'm convinced he is going to be a 20 goal scorer within the next couple years if he is given the chance to establish chemistry on a line rather than get moved all over the place.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
As far as the Dzingel vs Heinen argument go I bet Dzingel outscored Heinen by 20 points this year.

Amazing how the speed and skill crowd doesn't like him because the Bruins didnt sign him

Dzingel was healthy scratched in the playoffs because he was incredibly bad as a defensive zone forward. Don’t get me wrong he’s got a ton of offensive talent but he is the epitome of a one zone player. So when he stopped producing in the offensive zone he started getting healthy scratched because he was such a liability in his own end.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
As far as the Dzingel vs Heinen argument goes I bet Dzingel outscores Heinen by 20 points this year.

I'll take that best easily.

Dzingel is fast and has a good shot but he's not capable of creating his own offense, is horrific along the boards, and is one of the most disengaged defensive players on the league. He plays a poor man version of what Phil Kessel does on D but without the elite offense to make up for it.

Dzingel is not a good player. Why else would he have zero suitors after back to back 50 point seasons? It's because the NIL knows what he is.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Disliking a player is not synonymous with him being "not good". Disliking his game is not synonymous with him not being good at that game. Ulf Samuelson's game was hitting to hurt, taking out star players, and not answering for it. He was very, very, very good at it. Doesn't make me like him as a player, or like his game (an extreme example to describe the general phenomena, of course).

Absolutely. And my response was not directed at those folks. It was directed at a specific handful of people who touted a lack of toughness because he didn't fight as being reasonable. It's not. Tough has many definitions rather than fighting or hitting people.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Two years at that price is fine to find out if the Bruins should keep him around.

His hockey IQ is as high as anyone on the team not named Bergeron, but I hope he can break out offensively a little. If not, maybe I'd try and put him in a package for an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad