Player Discussion Danton Heinen II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Who? One of the kid passengers who needs to start stepping up in November. October rust is off now for DeBrusk, Bjork, Donato and Heinen. Time to play like NHL forwards who can score.

Don't just be the guys high-fiving the top line as they do a flyby on the bench after a goal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Who? One of the kid passengers who needs to start stepping up in November. October rust is off now for DeBrusk, Bjork, Donato and Heinen. Time to play like NHL forwards who can score.

Don't just be the guys high-fiving the top line as they do a flyby on the bench after a goal.

I’m watching the game now (son had hockey practice), but I looked at the box score quick and Heinen had 17:09 TOI (behind The Big 3 and Krejci w/17:36). If he wasn’t good, no way Cassidy gives him that much ice.

He just made a nice feed on the PP to Bjork driving the net, but his stick got lifted.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m watching the game now (son had hockey practice), but I looked at the box score quick and Heinen had 17:09 TOI (behind The Big 3 and Krejci w/17:36). If he wasn’t good, no way Cassidy gives him that much ice.

He just made a nice feed on the PP to Bjork driving the net, but his stick got lifted.

He played extremely well tonight

I would say my biggest criticism with him is he needs to take more shots. I remember a few years ago in his breakout Freshamn season he score on almost 25% of his, which is great, but shows even then he wasn't shooting enough

Reactions: Saxon Eric

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Heinen played real good. He seemed energized in the 2nd on. Once he got a chance to play with Pasta. I think the switch of Pasta too the Krejci line will play long dividends to the Bruins especially DeBrusk and Heinen.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I would say my biggest criticism with him is he needs to take more shots. I remember a few years ago in his breakout Freshamn season he score on almost 25% of his, which is great, but shows even then he wasn't shooting enough

Heinen played real good. He seemed energized in the 2nd on. Once he got a chance to play with Pasta. I think the switch of Pasta too the Krejci line will play long dividends to the Bruins especially DeBrusk and Heinen.

Glad to hear he played well. He has the ability and the smarts, just needs to keep his feet moving.

Agreed on his shooting more. He has a very good shot and an excellent release, but by nature appears to be a “pass first” guy. Pasta will provide an outlet for his passing, but with DK on the line for setups as well, he should get ample opportunity to shoot as well.

I saw that he had two hits as well. Wish he would wreck a guy or two occasionally :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let's hope Cassidy's trust in him results in some points. I don't think we can continue to rely on Marchy, Bergie and Boris to do all the scoring.

I agree that the second line needs to start scoring more consistently, but the first thing I look at is how they are performing. If they keep playing well, the points will come.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Passengers is a bit rough IMO. While the the production has not been near where it should I think they are all working hard and trying. The points will come

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Heinen is giving me the feeling of being a later day pj axelsson. I hope he will be as good as axelsson defensively.

I don't really see enough skill level in Heinen to feel confident he will become more than a 45-50 point guy. not that its a bad thing to be 45-50 point guy. I mean, he did that last year and it was pretty useful in his 3rd line role.

I just don't see the potential that he can become more. 45-50 point guys get paid
tyler toffoli got 4.6 mill
brock nelson got 4.25
nick bjugstad got 4.1
vladamir namestikov got 4 mill
victor rask got 4
boone jenner 3.75
tanner pearson 3.75

honestly im a danton Heinen fan... I put him smack dab in the middle of this list as far as his value on the ice goes. his agent is going to be able to go to arbitration and make a case for minimum 3.5 mill for Heinen

I just... don't know if he can be worth that to us. I mean hes not better than marchand/pastrnak so at best we are talking about a second liner.

is he going to be better than debrusk? do we want one of these guys forced to play their off wing?

is there room for studnicka/federic/forbaska-karlsson all to play center or will at least 1 of them be moved to wing? how crowded do we want our wing position to become?

if Bjork/donato are going to cost us around a million... is Heinen going to be worth the extra 2-3 mill cap hit?

does Heinen have a higher ceiling than Bjork and/or donato? is it a good idea to give Heinen the time to develop and deny Bjork/donato the chance to develop?

are any of these guys an option to play the off wing? or are they all competing for the same spot in the lineup?

all things considered... the expected cap hit... the competition for the roster spot... the upside potential... the current trade value... I think Heinen has to be in discussion for a trade

hes a langly bc kid who played his college hockey in Denver. could we find a fit in a trade for either brandon sutter or carl soderberg if those teams were retaining salary? I think we would deserve more. im not suggesting a 1 for 1 trade but both sutter and soderberg would solve a bigger need on our team than Heinen does as short term options for the 3rd line center job

another potential trade idea im toying with in my head involves torey krug to Detroit
could it be expanded to include Heinen and solve a couple needs for us?

krug
Heinen
for
athanasiou
and nyqvist

sort term nyqvist gives us our second line scorer for this season... then hes an ufa and would be gone

athanasiou is a kid at 24.. has good size and elite skating ability. he can play center. he was a nasty contract holdout in Detroit and a change in scenery might help.

theres a lot of reasons I like athansiou more than Heinen.

maybe add a conditional pick to my proposal... if krug resigns we get a pick from Detroit. honestly, I wouldn't resign nyqvist because cap room is a concern.

I think at the end of the day... that's my biggest issue with Heinen. as a smallish guy without elitie offensive skill I just see him being too expensive to be stuck on the 3rd line lw spot and making 3-4 mill a year when I see him as a pj axelsson type that might not be as good defensively {I do think hes better offensively}

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m not sure I understand your overly long post?

First you say Heinen is probably not going to be more than a 45-50 point guy, and these guys get paid. You give some examples from $3.75m-4.6m, then say Heinen’s agent can get $3.5m, (which was less than all the examples you gave).

You surmise that he might not be worth that to the Bruins, even though you just showed that would be in line or a little low in comparison to similar players.

You lost me there.

If Heinen doesn’t get going offensively, he’s not going to hit 45-50 points this year, which might not be the worst thing from a salary standpoint. On the defensive side, I don’t believe he has been on the ice for a GA yet this year (at least not when he’s been with Krejci)? If he does turn out to be another PJ, he’s not going to get paid a lot of money. In fact, a player like Donato, who is flashier offensively is likely to command more than Heinen.

These things have a tendency to work themselves out.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

First you say Heinen is probably not going to be more than a 45-50 point guy, and these guys get paid. You give some examples from $3.75m-4.6m, then say Heinen’s agent can get $3.5m, (which was less than all the examples you gave).

You surmise that he might not be worth that to the Bruins, even though you just showed that would be in line or a little low in comparison to similar players.

You lost me there.

If Heinen doesn’t get going offensively, he’s not going to hit 45-50 points this year, which might not be the worst thing from a salary standpoint. On the defensive side, I don’t believe he has been on the ice for a GA yet this year (at least not when he’s been with Krejci)? If he does turn out to be another PJ, he’s not going to get paid a lot of money. In fact, a player like Donato, who is flashier offensively is likely to command more than Heinen.

admittedly cap management is tricky... im blessed to be invited into a fun sim league where you are in a situation yourself managing a cap. you are maintaining crap loads of cap room because you wisely are looking at the future and how your team is going to become much more expensive

you are making trades there with an eye on your cap... moving superior players for pieces that fit the puzzle. im not explaining anything at all here you don't already have a good grasp of.

I guess I think nyqvist would come in this year... play with krecji and debrusk… create second line scoring. I guess I think athanasiou would play with backes and Bjork on what I would see as a third line that would be much better than our current options. so short term for this year... I like my deal

I think we lose a bit on krug but at the deadline I think we can find a pp qb if we still needed one. in the meantime im happy giving McAvoy/grez a chance to grab the job for themselves.

moving into next season... aa costs us 3 mill and I feel he can play any of the 3 forward positions. I feel he could jump up to second line with debrusk. I like that size/speed game of his. with nyqvist gone we free up a lot of cap space. krug would have to be moved if he was still here. could we get more than 1 year of nyqvist for krug? is aa not an upgrade over Heinen?

I say its worth it... you probably disagree. that's why trades are able to be made. people disagree. I respect your judgement and im very envious of the team you have in the sim league. I think you are a pretty shrewd judge of trades. so maybe... maybe... I shouldn't disagree with you

but I do on this one
I like the move... I think it helps

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

You lost me there.

I see Bjork and Heinen battling and creating opportunities....they don't hurt you defensively. Donato has too much going on in his head. Overthinking. Something has to change to get more scoring. It's 12 games in. Working hard is good however these guys are being paid to score and it ain't happening. Something has to change? Not sure a demotion is the right thing however a call up inserted somewhere couldn't hurt.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
admittedly cap management is tricky... im blessed to be invited into a fun sim league where you are in a situation yourself managing a cap. you are maintaining crap loads of cap room because you wisely are looking at the future and how your team is going to become much more expensive

you are making trades there with an eye on your cap... moving superior players for pieces that fit the puzzle. im not explaining anything at all here you don't already have a good grasp of.

I guess I think nyqvist would come in this year... play with krecji and debrusk… create second line scoring. I guess I think athanasiou would play with backes and Bjork on what I would see as a third line that would be much better than our current options. so short term for this year... I like my deal

I think we lose a bit on krug but at the deadline I think we can find a pp qb if we still needed one. in the meantime im happy giving McAvoy/grez a chance to grab the job for themselves.

moving into next season... aa costs us 3 mill and I feel he can play any of the 3 forward positions. I feel he could jump up to second line with debrusk. I like that size/speed game of his. with nyqvist gone we free up a lot of cap space. krug would have to be moved if he was still here. could we get more than 1 year of nyqvist for krug? is aa not an upgrade over Heinen?

I say its worth it... you probably disagree. that's why trades are able to be made. people disagree. I respect your judgement and im very envious of the team you have in the sim league. I think you are a pretty shrewd judge of trades. so maybe... maybe... I shouldn't disagree with you

but I do on this one
I like the move... I think it helps

The only part of this post I agree with is the part where you say,

“I shouldn’t disagree with you.”

That’s really all you needed to type.

:laugh:

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

The reason is the third line didn't play much so he was rolling the other three lines

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Not to knock the other young guys, but Id have to say Heinen has the higher hockey IQ of the bunch at this time.

I've had my frustrations with him, but you can tell he's thinking the game at another level.

Him and Bjork. If you really focus on them, they do the little things often very well. I really like their 200 ft games.

They just need to bring it all together and get the secondary scoring going.

Reactions: kjpm

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
The two young guys on the 4th line are getting worked pretty good this year. I know most starts are in the D Zone, but they never have possession in the other end.
I think the Cave call up was to put the 2 young guys on notice they need to be better fast

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Not to knock the other young guys, but Id have to say Heinen has the higher hockey IQ of the bunch at this time.

I've had my frustrations with him, but you can tell he's thinking the game at another level.
Too bad he's not playing at the level he's thinking it. :laugh:

Seriously, Danton Heinen should be named captain of the All- Overrated Team. :laugh:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Wasn't last year his Freshman season ?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think Heinen has been playing better than Donato and Bjork.

He also plays a much simpler game and has more experience than both guys combined lol. I will say he hasn't quite been as good as I hoped he would to start, but it seems like that's the case for most guys. I will say though, over the 2-3 games he seems to be getting better and better. I think if Pasta sticks on that 2nd line, it could really help open up Heinen's offensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad