Player Discussion Danton Heinen II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Guy has had 40-something points for 3 years in a row now.... what a disappointment.

Errr.... wait:

Year 1: NCAA
Year 2: jump to AHL
Year 3: jump to NHL

It will be fascinating to see what he does in year 2 if he can avoid the sophomore slump. Was the best forward in the AHL playoffs then proceeded to rip the league apart before getting called up last year for good.

To me, Donato and Bjork are behind him and should go start the season in Providence and prove they can do what Heinen did (and dominate the league) before getting promoted up. Cassidy seems to love Bjork, but he struggled lots in the NHL and then didn't do too much in Providence.

The lineup that interests me the most has Heinen on the top like with Marchand and Bergeron and a (finally) legit 2nd line of

DeBrusk--Krejci--Pastrnak

If you look at the 2nd lines that Tampa and Toronto will be running this year, this is what we need.

Did anybody else watch the insane chemistry between Krejci and Pastrnak at the World Championships this spring? If you are taking Pasta off of the top line, you need a smart, young, skilled guy to replace him with.

To me, Heinen should get the first long, looooong look in that spot.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
We don't want him to be too successful, kid will get paid next year.

In all seriousness, Heinen is one of the kids i am least worried about, he can play anywhere.

He's one of those players who can contribute noticeably even if it doesn't show on the scoreboard. Win board battles in our zone, sneaky pass out, support other players all over the ice, almost exactly the opposite of Spooner, who could have 2 assists and leave us frustrated.

I could even say that Heinen is the player you win with, sounds too black and white maybe and too early to tell but..

The most versatile rookie in our organisation.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, but he’s not flashy and stuff, and he doesn’t show enough emotion after goals.

I agree with Colt, the organization appears to like Donato and Bjork more, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out why. I mean I get there is a lot to like about Donato and Bjork, but both of them were given NHL positions right out of the gate with no professional experience. While guys like Heinen and Czarnik had to prove themselves in the minors first. DeBrusk at least had a solid AHL year under his belt before he was basically given a Top 6 position.

Heinen played 4th line and produced, and played 3rd line and produced with lesser players. His ability to play up and down the lineup is a great asset for the team, but I think that it might actually hurt him perception-wise. I have this sneaking suspicion that out of 74, 17, 10, and 43, Heinen would be the one moved in a deal. I have been told by someone that Cassidy actually loves Heinen, so I could be totally off base with this (happens a lot lol).

I would love to see Heinen with 37 and 63, which would allow Pasta to slide down with Krejci and DeBrusk.

Reactions: maxl7

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah, but he’s not flashy and stuff, and he doesn’t show enough emotion after goals.

I agree with Colt, the organization appears to like Donato and Bjork more, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out why. I mean I get there is a lot to like about Donato and Bjork, but both of them were given NHL positions right out of the gate with no professional experience. While guys like Heinen and Czarnik had to prove themselves in the minors first. DeBrusk at least had a solid AHL year under his belt before he was basically given a Top 6 position.

Heinen played 4th line and produced, and played 3rd line and produced with lesser players. His ability to play up and down the lineup is a great asset for the team, but I think that it might actually hurt him perception-wise. I have this sneaking suspicion that out of 74, 17, 10, and 43, Heinen would be the one moved in a deal. I have been told by someone that Cassidy actually loves Heinen, so I could be totally off base with this (happens a lot lol).

I would love to see Heinen with 37 and 63, which would allow Pasta to slide down with Krejci and DeBrusk.

I think the bolded is why he maybe flies under the radar or doesn't get the attention he should. Personally I love the kids game, he's a Swiss army knife (who like you said) can play up and down the line up. He can play in all situations, either wing, it doesn't matter. His style of play fits with a Marchy/Bergy, but also a Krejci/DeBrusk. His versatility gives Boston more flexibility to mix and match lines.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact Bjork could have stayed in college for one more year and then signed anywhere as a UFA. Donato could have waited what, a few months, and then signed anywhere?

I’d guess they got some assurances about quality NHL time if they signed. Just a guess, though.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Good post, he`s like a utility man in baseball. One of those guys a coach could put almost anywhere in a lineup or in almost any situation and not worry too much about him. My hope for this season is he avoids an extended offensive slump but even during the rough times last year in terms of producing, I never felt he allowed that to affect his attention to the defensive side of things

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Good post, he`s like a utility man in baseball. One of those guys a coach could put almost anywhere in a lineup or in almost any situation and not worry too much about him. My hope for this season is he avoids an extended offensive slump but even during the rough times last year in terms of producing, I never felt he allowed that to affect his attention to the defensive side of things

*Whispers*: PJ Axelsson 2.0 ;)

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
*Whispers*: PJ Axelsson 2.0 ;)
He's got a way higher offensive ceiling than Axelsson, though. I truly think his closest comparable is Loui Eriksson -- excellent defensive play, good offensive ability, not terribly fast but mobile, versatile, and bound to be hated/underrated by fans because he's not flashy enough and doesn't lay Lucic-esque hits.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He's got a way higher offensive ceiling than Axelsson, though. I truly think his closest comparable is Loui Eriksson -- excellent defensive play, good offensive ability, not terribly fast but mobile, versatile, and bound to be hated/underrated by fans because he's not flashy enough and doesn't lay Lucic-esque hits.
I agree, I see an Eriksson there as well, both good and bad. There is always a place for that type of player but you need to add some attitude and grit up front with a Heinen. My problem with the Bruins is they have too many prospects like Heinen, but what do I know I still like fighting and hitting and God knows no one seems to think those things are important anymore so maybe 12 Heinens will do well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

like this post a lot.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I agree, I see an Eriksson there as well, both good and bad. There is always a place for that type of player but you need to add some attitude and grit up front with a Heinen. My problem with the Bruins is they have too many prospects like Heinen, but what do I know I still like fighting and hitting and God knows no one seems to think those things are important anymore so maybe 12 Heinens will do well.

I like fighting and hitting too! It's fun and exciting! I just don't want to actively make my team worse in order to get those things. If there's a player who can get good on-ice results while still laying crushing hits and beating people up, I'm all for it. Those guys were rare even before the game started trending in the direction it has, though.

Reactions: wintersej

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

You were doing so good until that last line

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
12 Heinens on the roster... No thanks.
Someone mentioned heinen and a first for Virtanen...I think Vancouver might still be traumatized when they traded to us a player who was afirst rder too(Neely of course) and a first rder who ended up being Wesley.
If they bite on that ..I'd take it and run

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
12 Heinens on the roster... No thanks.
Someone mentioned heinen and a first for Virtanen...I think Vancouver might still be traumatized when they traded to us a player who was afirst rder too(Neely of course) and a first rder who ended up being Wesley.
If they bite on that ..I'd take it and run
Who suggested 12 Heinens? Do we have anything close to 12 Heinens? Nope.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think the bolded is why he maybe flies under the radar or doesn't get the attention he should. Personally I love the kids game, he's a Swiss army knife (who like you said) can play up and down the line up. He can play in all situations, either wing, it doesn't matter. His style of play fits with a Marchy/Bergy, but also a Krejci/DeBrusk. His versatility gives Boston more flexibility to mix and match lines.

I hate this description solely because it sounds way too much like Andy Brickley describing Chris Kelly.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact Bjork could have stayed in college for one more year and then signed anywhere as a UFA. Donato could have waited what, a few months, and then signed anywhere?

I’d guess they got some assurances about quality NHL time if they signed. Just a guess, though.

Bjork yes. According to someone (I believe it was Dom and CapFriendly), Donato was not eligible to go FA until the following season. Honestly though, FA eligible or not, Donato was the last guy I was worried about jumping ship.

The issue with this line of reasoning is that a guy like Bjork looked like he could have used some seasoning in the AHL getting used to the physicality and speed. Perhaps he could have avoided the injuries that plagued his season if he had a year of AHL hockey under his belt like Heinen and DeBrusk?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I hate this description solely because it sounds way too much like Andy Brickley describing Chris Kelly.

Two completely different players with two separate styles of play. The same description could be said about a guy like Riley Nash. He could play C/W, up and down the line-up and in all situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad