Player Discussion Danton Heinen II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I only saw some of the 3rd because my son’s HS hockey team had it’s opener at 6pm.

Their home rink is the Mullins Practice Rink (at UMass Amherst) and it was crazy last night because UMass was playing Quinnipiac and the rinks are about 50 yards apart.

From the little I saw, it looked like Heinen was with JFK and Donato, not Cave (and Backes)...and the assist was from Donato. When did Cassidy switch up the lines?

How did your sons team do?

Yeah Cassidy did.

It wasnt easy to follow. I think cave and jfk flipped flopped and Donato permanently flipped with Backes after the 1st period.

Cave played 17 min vs JFK 10min. And though Cave wasnt on the scoresheet he did the little things to help

On that Heinen and Donato goals I could have sworn it was Cave on the ice but could be wrong

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
How did your sons team do?

Yeah Cassidy did.

It wasnt easy to follow. I think cave and jfk flipped flopped and Donato permanently flipped with Backes after the 1st period.

Cave played 17 min vs JFK 10min. And though Cave wasnt on the scoresheet he did the little things to help

On that Heinen and Donato goals I could have sworn it was Cave on the ice but could be wrong

Pretty sure it was JFK? I have not had a chance to watch the rest of the game yet.

It was a good hockey night in our household.

Our high school team won 9-2...UMass with the come from behind win over Quinnipiac...B's spank the Laffs.

In the 3rd period we were up big and some kids that normally wouldn't play got some time. One of the other team's kids started taking some runs at the freshman with late hits. The D coach says to my son (all of 5'6-7" and 115 pounds) put a body on the kid, who probably had 60+ pounds on him. Kid comes over the blue line and my son (who is not stupid) went low with a hip check and took the kid down. They called him for a trip, but it was clean (scoreboard call).

Back to Heinen. Hope he can use this game as a confidence booster and a springboard to get back on track.

Reactions: rocketdan9

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Another very strong game from Heinen. Gaining some confidence back and getting out of that defence first shell he's been bottled up in.

He does look far more willing to try to dangle D now, instead of just making the “safe” play.

Goes back to the fact that the mental part of the game is huge. The goal vs TOR shows that he actually has some hands, and isn’t “talentless” (as some have stated)? I’m not sure why he wasn’t trying to attack more earlier in the year? I guess confidence can be a huge thing.

Reactions: Blowfish and BMC

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Pretty sure it was JFK? I have not had a chance to watch the rest of the game yet.

Our high school team won 9-2...UMass with the come from behind win over Quinnipiac...B's spank the Laffs.

Good hockey weekend all around...I'll gladly take the Quinny split with against UMASS...the game in Hamden, CT was a blast.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He does look far more willing to try to dangle D now, instead of just making the “safe” play.

Goes back to the fact that the mental part of the game is huge. The goal vs TOR shows that he actually has some hands, and isn’t “talentless” (as some have stated)? I’m not sure why he wasn’t trying to attack more earlier in the year? I guess confidence can be a huge thing.

I'll take it a step further in praise of Heinen- he went about it in the right order. It is so much better to have a young player being overly safe than overly reckless. Heinen has the skill to take chances, but it's harder to teach responsible play from the other direction.

Reactions: BMC and Tampbear

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Really no bump after that goal tonight?

Breaks his stick blocking the shot. has to swing by the bench for a stick changer, yet is able to make it to the side of the net before the defense can get back, and then makes a magical self pass from his skate to the stick and pops it into the net.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Really no bump after that goal tonight?

Breaks his stick blocking the shot. has to swing by the bench for a stick changer, yet is able to make it to the side of the net before the defense can get back, and then makes a magical self pass from his skate to the stick and pops it into the net.

I talked about it a lot in the GDT.

Didn’t want to be TOO over the top...

:laugh:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Looks like Glorydaze was right on this and about 37 posters wrong

I hope the kid scores 20 more, but even with his 3 pts. in the last 5 he’s only got 4 in the last 15, and still only on pace for around 25 for the season.

He’s playing better for sure though, hope he keeps it up because they need it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hope the kid scores 20 more, but even with his 3 pts. in the last 5 he’s only got 4 in the last 15, and still only on pace for around 25 for the season.

He’s playing better for sure though, hope he keeps it up because they need it.
Confidence is like gasoline - can’t go anywhere without it

He’s got it back and playing with fellow yutes he’s the veteran of the line and playing very well

Reactions: Blowfish

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Confidence is like gasoline - can’t go anywhere without it

He’s got it back and playing with fellow yutes he’s the veteran of the line and playing very well

I hope so.

I don’t dislike the kid.....just find the free ride he gets to be frustrating.

He’s one of the rare Bruins whose strengths tend to be vastly overrated and whose weaknesses are minimized by a large % of posters here.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I hope so.

I don’t dislike the kid.....just find the free ride he gets to be frustrating.

He’s one of the rare Bruins whose strengths tend to be vastly overrated and whose weaknesses are minimized by a large % of posters here.

Free ride = getting shit on by a large percentage of the fan base? I think you are vastly overrating the “love” he gets here and by the B’s fanbase in general (in social media).

While he’s been slumping, it’s been me and a couple other posters vs what seems like a much larger negative group. Maybe you are just the Vocal Minority (I doubt it).

ps I was disappointed, no love for Heinen’s goal on NHL on the Fly’s plays of the night

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Free ride = getting **** on by a large percentage of the fan base? I think you are vastly overrating the “love” he gets here and by the B’s fanbase in general (in social media).

While he’s been slumping, it’s been me and a couple other posters vs what seems like a much larger negative group. Maybe you are just the Vocal Minority (I doubt it).

ps I was disappointed, no love for Heinen’s goal on NHL on the Fly’s plays of the night

Too many excuses were being made for Heinen and it was frustrating for some of us to read day in day out.

GD you stood up for him knowing he can bring more however you yourself admitted he wasn't himself. He's coming on now and it's about time. I'm sure he was frustrating more than a few HFboard fanboys. Neely being the first to vet his frustration on some of the players. No doubt Neely/Sweeney were concerned.

Some of us called him out for lack of productivity "including yourself" - it was well deserved. Yes some fans are over the top negative with players it's best to "block" :naughty: them out completely. Makes for a much better HF experience.

For me, I felt he was playing way to conservative. He needed to assert himself, use his wrist shot some more, and be creative. He's gaining confidence and it's great to see.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Free ride = getting **** on by a large percentage of the fan base? I think you are vastly overrating the “love” he gets here and by the B’s fanbase in general (in social media).

I saw it entirely the opposite. I didn't think nearly enough people were holding him accountable for his lousy play between February and around last week.

Even now, he's got 3 points in 5 games and it seems like a lot of people seem to think that he's on his way to being 55 point guy for the rest of his career, when it's just as likely that he'll go another 10 game stretch with 2-3 points.

Again...like about 98% of players who have worn the spoked B, I'm rooting for him. But admittedly, he's far from my favorite and if I had to pick a guy who's in the system and under 24 to move in a deal, he'd be the one I'd miss the least...But my dislike for watching the Bruins lose trumps my lukewarm feeling for him by about a million...so I hope he ends up being a reliable 20 goal 45 point guy in the middle six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad