Dano

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
All that those of us are saying who watched his KHL games live and in person, and not some "footage", is that Daňo as a 17-year-old had a fantastic rookie KHL season. Then he got drafted in the 1st NHL round, and his second, sophomore season in the KHL as an 18-year-old was really bad. Can you say "sophomore slump"? (He says so himself.) You can't tell that just by looking at stats and numbers that are pretty similar for both KHL seasons. As someone said, especially his untimely penalties tended to hurt his team, which is why he was benched for a number of games in the 2nd season.

In any case, it's great to see him turn it around in his 3rd pro season, getting back to where he was before the NHL draft. He's caught everyone by surprise (including himself, probably) -- NHL.com is still lacking his picture, and this thread is lacking the "Player Discussion" tag. Half a year ago, nobody dreamed we'd be discussing his NHL career and first NHL goal at this point. :handclap:

Personally I've been pumped about this kid and was probably thought of as a crazy guy when I said he was the most NHL ready and will have as much impact on this team as Kerby Rychel :laugh:. Dano is 2 games in and Rychel has never played a game but at least Dano is showing he belongs and has potential to be more then just an energy guy

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Great to see Marko get his 1st NHL goal tonight with his girlfriend and father in the venue. He also had a nice celebration. I'm just going to go ahead and jump on his fan club early.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Great to see Dano do this well this early. I don't follow Slovan or KHL, but I always liked him for the Slovak U20 team and also at the Men's WHC, where he was very solid for a 17 year old. I certainly didn't expect him to make the NHL this season, because all I've been hearing from fans in Slovakia was how bad and overrated he is. To that I can only say that hockey people in Slovakia sometimes assess talents differently than people in NA, or perhaps, North American rink and style fits Dano better. He is not the first player from Slovakia that was unsuccessful or unappreciated back home to find immediate success abroad. Zdeno Chara, for example, was sent down to a lesser Dukla Trencin affiliate in his draft year and he was told that he has no future as a hockey player. He went to Sparta Praha mid-season, did well, was drafted, played in the WHL next season and made the NHL the season after that. So he went from not even having a hockey future to playing in the NHL in only 2 years time. I wonder how it feels to be a hockey coach who was sending a future HHOF player to play basketball instead.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Guys, and isn't just this the actual point here? That this guy who was terrible (trust me, I have no reason to lie about this, anyway, you can look up for number of comments of our fans from last season) is now able to play a serious hockey in the best league of the world?
All I am trying to do is to be objective; he was really awful last season and he would be among the last I would predict for playing in the NHL next season. Even when he left us and went to Springfield, "everybody" was laughing that after 2 seasons he will be back and end up in, at best, Czech Extraleague. It is just quite interesting to me and I am certainly going to watch him. Anyway, it is a great news for our small country that another youngster has an opportunity to play in NHL and hopefully he will be useful for Blue Jackets.

It does make the fact that he played well enough in training camp to stick with the NHL team even more impressive. Whether or not we'll ever know for sure why he suffered a drop in the quality of his play last year hopefully won't matter now.

Thank you for your insight.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
BzvLLcUIAAA1z1v.jpg:large

Dano and his dad last night…...

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thanks for the two picks

I love Marko Dano's game, he is a new favorite of mine only because the guy is a Calvert clone. I am under six foot myself, so Atkinson, Calvert & now Dano are favorites of mine, just because in this era of big hockey players they keep fighting thru it for the puck and once they have it they are hell to knock off of it.

of course I meant pics not interceptions

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Daňo's father in hockey gear towards the end of his long career:

282297_jozef-dano-hokejista-spisska-nova-ves-dres-zvolen.jpg

He was famous as a hockey player who always skated with his head up, to the point where others joked he was responsible for checking the arena's ceiling lights. :D

As to the reason for Marko Daňo's KHL sophomore slump: it could well be psychological. Slovak athletes are "experts" at sitting back after some first initial achievement. Getting drafted in the first NHL round was a major achievement, of course. Traditionally, Slovak athletes perform best when they're underestimated -- when nothing much is really expected of them. Then they can surpass themselves (and others). :amazed:

Regarding that coach who predicted no hockey future for Chára... it's rumored it may actually have been Ernest Bokroš, an eminently successful coach in later years (World Champion with Slovakia in 2002 as assistant coach, and also coach of Slovakia's U20 national team recently). Coincidentally, here's a clip of a press conference featuring Bokroš & Daňo's father, the two as Slovakia's U20 coach and Trenčín assistant coach at the time: http://youtu.be/WfDfYMUTvLQ

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I love Marko Dano's game, he is a new favorite of mine only because the guy is a Calvert clone. I am under six foot myself, so Atkinson, Calvert & now Dano are favorites of mine, just because in this era of big hockey players they keep fighting thru it for the puck and once they have it they are hell to knock off of it.

of course I meant pics not interceptions

Funny you should mention that. We were remarking last night that Dano is a hybrid between Calvert and Atkinson.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Interesting that Dano getting drafted first round

may have caused the sophomore slump. Lucky for Dano that he has a father that played, this will give him guidance many athletes don't have.

Stockier than his Dad, I have only seen him on TV so I don't know if he is as fast as Calvert & Atkinson (he appears to be), but as alluded to, he keeps his head up, and can dish the puck or take the quick wrist shot. He had a backhand off his own rebound in game 2 which impressed me. One other thing that Jody Shelly pointed out about Dano and Wennberg, he said the puck seems to find them.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
may have caused the sophomore slump. Lucky for Dano that he has a father that played, this will give him guidance many athletes don't have.

Stockier than his Dad, I have only seen him on TV so I don't know if he is as fast as Calvert & Atkinson (he appears to be), but as alluded to, he keeps his head up, and can dish the puck or take the quick wrist shot. He had a backhand off his own rebound in game 2 which impressed me. One other thing that Jody Shelly pointed out about Dano and Wennberg, he said the puck seems to find them.

The puck always finding them comes from doing all the little things right, and being where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there. Which is pretty impressive considering they're basically being thrown in the fire. These are exciting times to be a Jackets fan!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
When he is on the ice, Dano is a constant blur of motion. He never stops moving, he never stops skating. That is why it looks like the puck finds him. He never stops, at least in the three games he played I have attended so far. Go, go, go. That is how he plays.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Sent downt to AHL to get playing time. Will be interesting to see if he needs a few games to adjust like Rychel did or he'll hit the ground running due to his brief NHL stint. Looking forward to what he brings when he gets called back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00