Dano

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I love some guy coming on here and rating a kid based upon his play when he was 17 in a men's league. Why it is almost like he is a regular poster here!

This is just hilarious, especially this extremely intelligent comment.
Guys, and isn't just this the actual point here? That this guy who was terrible (trust me, I have no reason to lie about this, anyway, you can look up for number of comments of our fans from last season) is now able to play a serious hockey in the best league of the world?
All I am trying to do is to be objective; he was really awful last season and he would be among the last I would predict for playing in the NHL next season. Even when he left us and went to Springfield, "everybody" was laughing that after 2 seasons he will be back and end up in, at best, Czech Extraleague. It is just quite interesting to me and I am certainly going to watch him. Anyway, it is a great news for our small country that another youngster has an opportunity to play in NHL and hopefully he will be useful for Blue Jackets.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You cannot be serious mate. He was really nice in the first season but the second season was totally awful -- even our GM said that if he was a coach, Dano would end up in Skalica (Slovan's affiliate team in Slovak League). And regarding his ice-time - he got even much more than he deserved at the expense of other players. Moreover, his fouls were totally useless and he skates like a duck.
It is a miracle for me that how can he be now a first-liner in the NHL. Anyway, I wish him all the best.

This is hilarious. We should call him "Ducky".

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I thought he played well. He was putting the puck on net and was finishing checks, all he needs to do to stay in the lineup, IMO. Bring that intensity and offensive game and it'll start clicking for him.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Guys, and isn't just this the actual point here? That this guy who was terrible (trust me, I have no reason to lie about this, anyway, you can look up for number of comments of our fans from last season) is now able to play a serious hockey in the best league of the world?
All I am trying to do is to be objective; he was really awful last season and he would be among the last I would predict for playing in the NHL next season. Even when he left us and went to Springfield, "everybody" was laughing that after 2 seasons he will be back and end up in, at best, Czech Extraleague. It is just quite interesting to me and I am certainly going to watch him. Anyway, it is a great news for our small country that another youngster has an opportunity to play in NHL and hopefully he will be useful for Blue Jackets.

He didn´t play well that season, that is a fact. But the whole team played just badly. Regarding those people laughing at him, well, that´s unfortunately the intelligence of the most of Slovak fans. He´s gonna be their hero in a couple of years :laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Wow you guys must have some really ****** hockey players then, ya know seeing how he made the Men's World Championship team...before he was drafted.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Clearly, you are the all-knowing, powerful, Wizard of Slovakia ...

Tell us, almighty, how such a terrible player was able to beat out the likes of SHL dynamo Simon Hjalmarsson, OHL 40 goal man Kerby Rychel, and several others, to be on the opening night roster?

He came over and posted 6 points in 10 AHL games, adding another 2 in 5 playoff games. He has dominated at times for your country in international competition. He's done nothing but work hard and prove he's capable of playing with the big boys. None of us care what you thought of him last year or two years ago. What matters is that he's carving out his niche as an NHL player at only 19 years old, which is a feat for any player, regardless of what someone halfway around the world thinks.

You should be proud. There aren't that many Slovaks finding their way to the NHL any more.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
None of us care what you thought of him last year or two years ago. What matters is that he's carving out his niche as an NHL player at only 19 years old, which is a feat for any player, regardless of what someone halfway around the world thinks.

If I recall right (not absolutely sure they are correct memories...) wasn't there some talk of attitude problems regarding Dano during his latest Slovan season?

At Columbus he has been nothing but very humble in front of media.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I cannot dispute what you say about his past

but I will keep the present guy in the Dano sweater. Dude is a ball of hustle & those players are fan favorites in Columbus. I am not going to be surprised if this guy works his way to 40 points this season just saying.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Clearly, you are the all-knowing, powerful, Wizard of Slovakia ...

Tell us, almighty, how such a terrible player was able to beat out the likes of SHL dynamo Simon Hjalmarsson, OHL 40 goal man Kerby Rychel, and several others, to be on the opening night roster?

He came over and posted 6 points in 10 AHL games, adding another 2 in 5 playoff games. He has dominated at times for your country in international competition. He's done nothing but work hard and prove he's capable of playing with the big boys. None of us care what you thought of him last year or two years ago. What matters is that he's carving out his niche as an NHL player at only 19 years old, which is a feat for any player, regardless of what someone halfway around the world thinks.

You should be proud. There aren't that many Slovaks finding their way to the NHL any more.

No, you are the almgihty, apparently. As you cannot even tolerate other opinions. And yes, probably, we are all blind in Slovakia and in fact he was the best KHL player last season.
Or what - you were watching Slovan and saw every match of Dano last season? OK, then we can discuss his performances. Otherwise, just do not type such a *.
All I wanted to do was to express my wonder and recognition to him for making NHL despite everything but okay, you do not care and obviously it is permitted not to state just positive facts about CBJ players. Have a nice day.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Wow you guys must have some really ****** hockey players then, ya know seeing how he made the Men's World Championship team...before he was drafted.

I am not denying he has got some big potential. But last season even some "average" players at his age were able to make much better performances and they can only dream about being drafted (not even in the first round).
From Dano's generation just Tomas Jurco and Martin Reway are better speaking of forwards.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Tbh, I could care less of how he played in Slovakia. If we all were brought down by one bad year then guys like Bobrovsky wouldn't even be here. Dano is here now, Slovan is in the past. Onward and upward.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
No, you are the almgihty, apparently. As you cannot even tolerate other opinions. And yes, probably, we are all blind in Slovakia and in fact he was the best KHL player last season.
Or what - you were watching Slovan and saw every match of Dano last season? OK, then we can discuss his performances. Otherwise, just do not type such a *.
All I wanted to do was to express my wonder and recognition to him for making NHL despite everything but okay, you do not care and obviously it is permitted not to state just positive facts about CBJ players. Have a nice day.

As a prospect writer, I can say that I probably saw more footage of Dano last year than anyone on this board - save maybe yourself, as you clearly know more than I do.

Recapping what I said, since you missed the part where I said NOTHING about how he played last year:

My comments were geared towards now and the future, where Dano fits into the long-term plans of the team. He looked the part of a third line player in his first NHL game, which is exactly what most of us see him as in his NHL career. Nobody here is expecting him to be a 50 goal scorer or the heir apparent to Marian Gaborik. We are not idiots. We are a proud fanbase that is excited for a young player in our lineup.

If you have nothing better to do than put him down for his previous play, then maybe you should go somewhere and make that argument with people who will appreciate it or agree with you? None of us care how he did last year. What we care about is how he does for our team from this point forward. And if you want to voice an argumentative point, I'm fine with that - but why come in with a negative/sarcastic tone? Do you really expect people to take you seriously? Nobody wants to listen to the opinion of someone who wants to put people down.

Which is what my entire post was geared around. It matters not how much footage any of us saw of him last year. In my case, it was plenty.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Well, I understand you do not care in this way, that is fair enough.
However..
My first contrib here was to a Slovak guy whom comment was utterly misleading. I've found it right to present, say, some other point of view; and, finally, you will maybe appreciate it later when it turns out, Daňo tends to do the same mistakes also in Columbus (what would be understandable as it is even a more difficult tempo for such a youngster than KHL).
And I repeat - All I wanted to do was to express my wonder and recognition to him for making NHL.

Which is what my entire post was geared around. It matters not how much footage any of us saw of him last year. In my case, it was plenty.
Well, you've seen a loads of footage, I've seen dozens of matches of him playing.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Well, I understand you do not care in this way, that is fair enough.
However..
My first contrib here was to a Slovak guy whom comment was utterly misleading. I've found it right to present, say, some other point of view; and, finally, you will maybe appreciate it later when it turns out, Daňo tends to do the same mistakes also in Columbus (what would be understandable as it is even a more difficult tempo for such a youngster than KHL).
And I repeat - All I wanted to do was to express my wonder and recognition to him for making NHL.

Well, you've seen a loads of footage, I've seen dozens of matches of him playing.

I wouldn't call watching the games footage. Clearly, you have no idea who you are talking to.

I'll put that insult aside and finish the discussion:

Dano in two NHL games has his first point already and led the team in shots in his first. If you can't set aside any grudges you have for him and appreciate that, then perhaps it's better if you leave the board?

Otherwise, I'm finished, as your feeble attempts to insult will not offend or upset me.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Obviously, you cannot even discuss. I was not trying to insult you at all. On the contrary, it was you who has had some amusing comments, but I am not going to talk about this here because it is pointless.
And concerning that footage - I do not know if you are a split personality but it was you who told me i.a. exactly this: As a prospect writer, I can say that I probably saw more footage of Dano last year than anyone on this board.
So clearly somebody else here has no idea what is going on and is talking about.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Come on, stop this stupid argument :) Dano didn´t play that well last season, but today here we are in the new season and Dano has got his first NHL point.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Obviously, you cannot even discuss. I was not trying to insult you at all. On the contrary, it was you who has had some amusing comments, but I am not going to talk about this here because it is pointless.
And concerning that footage - I do not know if you are a split personality but it was you who told me i.a. exactly this: As a prospect writer, I can say that I probably saw more footage of Dano last year than anyone on this board.
So clearly somebody else here has no idea what is going on and is talking about.

"I'm not arguing, but here's where you're wrong..."

Digitally ignored. No longer feeding the troll.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I am not trolling. But perhaps you should rather enjoy Blue Jackets' game because your posts make no sense.
The conclusion of this "discussion" that I dare do is that Dano has got a big potential and we all support him but his last season was really terrible and, therefore, it is really surprising for all of us to make it so quickly into the first NHL team, on the other hand, it is also great.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I see what you're saying penepi, and thanks for the insight from someone who watched Dano in the past.

Dano seems fast and confident in his first few games. CBJ scouts obviously have watched him in the KHL, but they saw something they liked.

Most of us predicted Dano would start in the AHL. Instead, due to injuries and a strong preseason, Dano made the team. So far he has contributed on the 3rd line and doesn't look out of place. He may get sent down when we get healthy, but we will have to see.

If someone has first hand observations of our young players, I like to hear them good and bad.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Well, it DOES seem as though once the coaches had a private conversation with him during the middle of preseason, something really clicked and we saw a whole different player. He started playing less tentatively, really hustling and winning board battles.

So I could see where he's not the same player he was last year. He's not the same player that he was this time last month! Credit to him to taking the coaches advice to heart.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
All that those of us are saying who watched his KHL games live and in person, and not some "footage", is that Daňo as a 17-year-old had a fantastic rookie KHL season. Then he got drafted in the 1st NHL round, and his second, sophomore season in the KHL as an 18-year-old was really bad. Can you say "sophomore slump"? (He says so himself.) You can't tell that just by looking at stats and numbers that are pretty similar for both KHL seasons. As someone said, especially his untimely penalties tended to hurt his team, which is why he was benched for a number of games in the 2nd season.

In any case, it's great to see him turn it around in his 3rd pro season, getting back to where he was before the NHL draft. He's caught everyone by surprise (including himself, probably) -- NHL.com is still lacking his picture, and this thread is lacking the "Player Discussion" tag. Half a year ago, nobody dreamed we'd be discussing his NHL career and first NHL goal at this point. :handclap:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
All that those of us are saying who watched his KHL games live and in person, and not some "footage", is that Daňo as a 17-year-old had a fantastic rookie KHL season. Then he got drafted in the 1st NHL round, and his second, sophomore season in the KHL as an 18-year-old was really bad. Can you say "sophomore slump"? (He says so himself.) You can't tell that just by looking at stats and numbers that are pretty similar for both KHL seasons. As someone said, especially his untimely penalties tended to hurt his team, which is why he was benched for a number of games in the 2nd season.

In any case, it's great to see him turn it around in his 3rd pro season, getting back to where he was before the NHL draft. He's caught everyone by surprise (including himself, probably) -- NHL.com is still lacking his picture, and this thread is lacking the "Player Discussion" tag. Half a year ago, nobody dreamed we'd be discussing his NHL career and first NHL goal at this point. :handclap:

This is how you give constructive, objective points of view. I have no problem with this...

As for "footage", that was a poor choice of words. I watch more games than anyone would care to know ... excuse my using the incorrect word. Believe me, I've seen enough to know .. if anyone wants to test my meddle in that department, they are more than welcome to come spend a weekend with me!

Certainly, Dano has done a nice job adjusting to the smaller rink. Perhaps that is what has made the biggest difference in his rapid development? He plays a North American style and seems to fit into the CBJ style of play.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
loved his goal celly tonight

Stolen from the GDT (courtesy of SpintheBlackCircle...)

BztyaA5CQAEtuZG.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad