Dano

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Dano made the team.

Dano is seen as the more NHL ready player out of him, Wennberg, and Rychel. This is because he can contribute in a number of different ways -- as a center or winger and as a bottom-6 player or a top-6 player.

He is stocky and solidly built which means, despite being 5'11" he can be hard to knock off the puck and is willing to go to the dirty areas such as corners and along the boards. He also has decent hands and vision, which has been displayed in the preseason, during camp, and during international tournaments. That said, his hands and vision are the biggest question marks as to how they will translate to a full speed NHL game. His point production in the KHL was limited, but it's seen as something he can expand upon.

His ceiling is as a top-6 NHL player who brings speed, energy, and offense similar to Brad Marchand or maybe Plekanec. His floor is as a 4th line NHL forward who brings just speed and energy. I suppose if injuries and consistency become a concern at the NHL level, his absolute floor will be as an AHL All-Star similar to Alexandre Giroux.

Last edited:

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Dano made the team.

Dano is seen as the more NHL ready player out of him, Wennberg, and Rychel. This is because he can contribute in a number of different ways -- as a center or winger and as a bottom-6 player or a top-6 player.

He is stocky and solidly built which means, despite being 5'11" he can be hard to knock off the puck and is willing to go to the dirty areas such as corners and along the boards. He also has decent hands and vision, which has been displayed in the preseason, during camp, and during international tournaments. That said, his hands and vision are the biggest question marks as to how they will translate to a full speed NHL game. His point production in the KHL was limited, but it's seen as something he can expand upon.

His ceiling is as a top-6 NHL player who brings speed, energy, and offense similar to Brad Marchand or maybe Plekanec. His floor is as a 4th line NHL forward who brings just speed and energy. I suppose if injuries and consistency become a concern at the NHL level, his absolute floor will be as an AHL All-Star similar to Alexandre Giroux.

I would also like to add, that most of the time that he spent in the KHL was on the 4th line, so that could also be one of the reasons for the rather weak points production.

IHeartZherdev*

His ceiling is as a top-6 NHL player who brings speed, energy, and offense similar to Brad Marchand or maybe Plekanec.

Brad Marchand and Plekanec are not even remotely similar players to each other.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I would also like to add, that most of the time that he spent in the KHL was on the 4th line, so that could also be one of the reasons for the rather weak points production.

From what I've read he averaged like 4minutes a game didn't he? Kinda hard to put up points on the bench.

But him playing in the KHL is part of why Jarmo drafted him, he knew he could play with men and he knew he had skill. It was just converting him to a smaller rink and giving him more opportunities. The WJC performance was icing on the cake. And theeen he puts up more points in 10AHL games then he did in his entire KHL career lol

Edit: not WJC, but the men's WC

Last edited:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I go to Slovan KHL games and have seen Dano in action against men. You are right in the fact that he didn't ice big minutes, but nonetheless was flashy and visible, threw some good tackles here and there and got into scoring chances. If he would not head over to Columbus, he would eventually become at least a 2nd liner in KHL around this time. Wishing him success with the Jackets!

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
From what I've read he averaged like 4minutes a game didn't he? Kinda hard to put up points on the bench.

But him playing in the KHL is part of why Jarmo drafted him, he knew he could play with men and he knew he had skill. It was just converting him to a smaller rink and giving him more opportunities. The WJC performance was icing on the cake. And theeen he puts up more points in 10AHL games then he did in his entire KHL career lol

Edit: not WJC, but the men's WC

Yeah, most of the time he had really low icetime. If I remember correctly, he also played some time of the season on the 3rd line, nevertheless, we (Slovan) struggled as a team and Dano wasn´t in his best shape.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah, most of the time he had really low icetime. If I remember correctly, he also played some time of the season on the 3rd line, nevertheless, we (Slovan) struggled as a team and Dano wasn´t in his best shape.

He was actually one of the first prospects back in Columbus this off-season(by a few weeks) to get into shape and to familiarize himself with the city, arena and training staff.

IHeartZherdev*

I didn't say they were. Dano could take multiple directions in his progression as a player. Hence the "or" instead of "and."

I see. So he can turn out to be like any player in the league close to his height, regardless of their playing style or whether they play center or wing. :nod:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I see. So he can turn out to be like any player in the league close to his height, regardless of their playing style or whether they play center or wing. :nod:
or he's saying that as a winger he could turn into a goal scoring pest like Marchand or as a center he could turn into a 2 way player like Plekanec

for what it's worth I do think he plays more like Marchand and I think he'd be the most effective playing that style of game

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
or he's saying that as a winger he could turn into a goal scoring pest like Marchand or as a center he could turn into a 2 way player like Plekanec

This. Both players have an element of speed and physicality to their game. Marchand relies more on being a pest while Plekanec tends to have higher offensive output.

Didn't think I'd need to spell it out though.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To me he was very noticeable in the first 3 home pre-season games (I missed the 4th). Also he looked ok (not great, but not like a guy playing in 1st NHL game) last night. I like him.
Doesn't mean he will be a star, but has the potential.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I thought he was real good. Had some chances and almost scored on a Wis slap pass. He's a bit more nasty than I thought he was, Sabres roughed him up and he came back at them. good to see

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I go to Slovan KHL games and have seen Dano in action against men. You are right in the fact that he didn't ice big minutes, but nonetheless was flashy and visible, threw some good tackles here and there and got into scoring chances. If he would not head over to Columbus, he would eventually become at least a 2nd liner in KHL around this time. Wishing him success with the Jackets!

You cannot be serious mate. He was really nice in the first season but the second season was totally awful -- even our GM said that if he was a coach, Dano would end up in Skalica (Slovan's affiliate team in Slovak League). And regarding his ice-time - he got even much more than he deserved at the expense of other players. Moreover, his fouls were totally useless and he skates like a duck.
It is a miracle for me that how can he be now a first-liner in the NHL. Anyway, I wish him all the best.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
You cannot be serious mate. He was really nice in the first season but the second season was totally awful -- even our GM said that if he was a coach, Dano would end up in Skalica (Slovan's affiliate team in Slovak League). And regarding his ice-time - he got even much more than he deserved at the expense of other players. Moreover, his fouls were totally useless and he skates like a duck.
It is a miracle for me that how can he be now a first-liner in the NHL. Anyway, I wish him all the best.

He isn't a first-liner here, he was playing mostly on what we could classify as our third line. However we do balance the ice times. I'm not going to get tremendously over-excited for his first game, but I liked his play. Have to keep in mind, he was only 17-19 years of age playing in the KHL.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

He's definitely not a first liner. He had around 10min of TOI last night. Definitely not first line minutes. He also has been working hard this off-season to improve his game.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
He's still only 19. What did you really expect to see from a teenager playing in a men's league?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I love some guy coming on here and rating a kid based upon his play when he was 17 in a men's league. Why it is almost like he is a regular poster here!

Tairy

May 11, 2014

I think Jarmo and our coaching staff and anyone else with eyes.. Is starting to see that this kid can play in the NHL right now and not only play but have an impact on the game. He is just very young which makes it very interesting. He can potentially come a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad