Confirmed with Link: Danny Briere named assistant TO the regional manager

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I don't know enough of his qualifications or mind to criticize the individual. If he's being groomed for taking Fletcher's position, it's easy to damn their methods and lack of effort. In the HF Flyers vernacular, it's shit garbage.
When hearing about other teams interviewing candidates, one can't help but see they're incompetent by comparison. And that's extremely sad when peers (hilarious) are wading in a very shallow talent pool.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
I can see them going with Briere either next year or the year after as GM but I was hoping they would seek a GM outside of the organization with no ties to Clarke or Holmgren.
Anybody but Fletcher next year.
I have watched games lately when I can not making a full commitment, that has been the Fletcher effect and the product he put on the ice. Such slow boring hockey that I cannot sit there and watch a full game anymore.
Last year it was the system they played that turned me off about 50 games in to the season.
This year it was about 30 games in I lost interest.
Things have to change soon for the better hopefully.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Was just scrolling through instagram when I saw my realtor sharing a photo of her and her husband hanging out with a couple of friends at Lazer Wolf last night, aka Danny Briere & his significant other. Should I hit her up to take me to look at a few investment properties and then try to squeeze her for info?

Tina, if you should come across this, I'm just kidding.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Are you thinking of his previous team Buffalo? This will be the first time the Flyers missed the playoffs twice in a row since 1994.

per·en·ni·al·ly
/pəˈrenyəlē/
Learn to pronounce
adverb
  1. 1.
    in a way that continues for a long or apparently infinite time; permanently.
    "a new blow to the perennially struggling economy"
  2. 2.
    on a yearly basis for several years.
    "a lily that grows perennially from bulbs"
That was the last time they rebuilt too... not that they are now. Win now mode! *sigh*

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can see them going with Briere either next year or the year after as GM but I was hoping they would seek a GM outside of the organization with no ties to Clarke or Holmgren.
Anybody but Fletcher next year.
I have watched games lately when I can not making a full commitment, that has been the Fletcher effect and the product he put on the ice. Such slow boring hockey that I cannot sit there and watch a full game anymore.
Last year it was the system they played that turned me off about 50 games in to the season.
This year it was about 30 games in I lost interest.
Things have to change soon for the better hopefully.

Nothing changes even if Fletch is flushed.... unless Clarke and Homer are no longer allowed to influence the GM's decisions.

Last edited:

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Nothing changes even if Fletch is flushed.... unless Clarke and Homer are no longer allowed to influence the GM's decisions.
Once new blood like Briere becomes established among the group, I think the old guard will begin to let go of their outdated views and let the progressives be the lead decision-makers. It's the only logical inference one could make given their current state. If I were Clarke and Homer, this would be my way of saying, fine- let's get a new way of thinking in here, but let's audition it first (as an assistant) and once they become comfortable with it, he can lead the way. They're meat head morons, but they're not incapable of retrospection, evidenced by this kind of hiring.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That sounds like something deadhead would say....

Chuck didn't really want Risto; Homer and Clarke forced him to trade Ghost, a 1st and two 2nds! :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Chuck didn't really want Risto; Homer and Clarke forced him to trade Ghost, a 1st and two 2nds! :laugh:

Not wanting Clarke/Homer as advisors to Briere

-does not equate to-

Me thinking Fletcher only went after Risto because of Clarke/Homer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Once new blood like Briere becomes established among the group, I think the old guard will begin to let go of their outdated views and let the progressives be the lead decision-makers. It's the only logical inference one could make given their current state. If I were Clarke and Homer, this would be my way of saying, fine- let's get a new way of thinking in here, but let's audition it first (as an assistant) and once they become comfortable with it, he can lead the way. They're meat head morons, but they're not incapable of retrospection, evidenced by this kind of hiring.

Or...Clarke/Homer will just get into Scott's ear again and have Briere fired if he decided to do things they don't like. Let's not forget if Briere does become GM, Fletcher will be President still...so we will also have him around to give Briere terrible advice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You said "nothing changes".

Yeah..nothing changes..as in we will still be an incompetent organization incapable of building a contender.

I'm sure Briere would pull off the odd good move, but it won't be enough. We aren't going anywhere until a deep cleansing takes place.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Or...Clarke/Homer will just get into Scott's ear again and have Briere fired if he decided to do things they don't like. Let's not forget if Briere does become GM, Fletcher will be President still...so we will also have him around to give Briere terrible advice.
I get we all have PTSD with the Flyers but they just made a move in the face of what is their worst era as a franchise under their watch and decision making. I just don't see how the status quo remains. If they brought in another retread as an assistant, then I'd agree with you. I also don't see why Briere would be excited to accept a position if his thought process isn't going to be considered. He knows how these guys operate, Briere is an astute guy. Time will tell, but I will remain optimistic more than others.

Last edited:

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Yeah..nothing changes..as in we will still be an incompetent organization incapable of building a contender.

I'm sure Briere would pull off the odd good move, but it won't be enough. We aren't going anywhere until a deep cleansing takes place.
The cleansing won't happen overnight with how embedded some of them are. But I'd like to think of this as moving the needle just a little closer to what may be a shift in decision making for the better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I get we all have PTSD with the Flyers but they just made a move in the face of what is their worst era as a franchise under their watch and decision making. I just don't see how the status quo remains. If they brought in another retread as an assistant, then I'd agree with you. I also don't see why Briere would be excited to accept a position if his thought process isn't going to be considered. He knows how these guys operate, and I'm pretty Briere is a pretty astute guy. Time will tell, but I will remain optimistic more than others.

Why wouldn't he accept the pay raise? He doesn't have to do much and can leave whenever he wants if a better offer comes along. He'll be a voice in the room at the deadline but that doesn't mean he is going to overcome the raging incompetence of Fletcher/Flahr/Lombardi and their geriatric special advisors.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The cleansing won't happen overnight with how embedded some of them are. But I'd like to think of this as moving the needle just a little closer to what may be a shift in decision making for the better.

There really is absolutely no reason to think this until Fletcher/Flahr/Lombardi/Clarke/Homer are gone. This was done to placate a very angry fanbase, not to shift managements decision-making. They think they did everything right but were sabotaged by injuries and covid. But I applaud your optimism.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

I mean its very simple, Hextall didn't want to listen to them about Hakstol and was fired. If Fletch did anything similar he would be fired too, but he hasn't been fired yet so its easy to see why.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
eventually the likes of Barber and Homer and Clarke will literally age out and have to retire, unfortunately "only" in their late 60's-early 70's, we're probably still a few years away from that sadly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
eventually the likes of Barber and Homer and Clarke will literally age out and have to retire, unfortunately "only" in their late 60's-early 70's, we're probably still a few years away from that sadly.

Theyre going to do this with Clarke to preserve him.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017

I’ll disagree with you on this. I think they’ve shown plenty of times that when faced with clear evidence that contradicts their meat-headed Dino philosophy, they respond by doubling down. I don’t think you can look at last years results, followed by the offseason moves, followed by their in season moves this year and come to any other conclusion.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Similar to what they initially tried with Hextall.
There may be a growing sense that hockey business is moving in a different direction, but they still won't allow for an unbiased outside expert to be brought in.
In comes a former player who will have to do the limbo and ultimately fail to modernize while keeping the old guard happy, all at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad