Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
So in regards to us losing a young guy with potential, we got one of those back. It's like people forgot we made a trade. Sure - we gave up Sprong, a guy with loads of potential offensively. But MP is only 10 months younger than Sprong. He's not that much further along in terms of pro hockey compared Sprong, and he's shown us a lot more at a position we needed instead of a position that we have incredible depth already.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So if 7-10 ES points is a big difference, it stands to reason that a player who was scoring on pace for, say...25 more ES points would be a gigantic difference that would make the two players beyond comparison, and 45 more ES points so colossal that it would be laughable to even bring them up in the same sentence offensively?

What are you even getting at?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Sprong since going to anaheim is putting up goals at a 27G/Season pace right now. super small sample size, but watching him you can tell there's alot more there to give as he figures it out at this level. The kid is 21, has only 21 games under an NHL coach who is giving him a legit chance. If you think he had a fair chance here in pittsburgh then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
I'm with jiggy that we can't really know until the end of *next* season what we traded away. But any objective measure at his age and usage I can't imagine how Anaheim would be anything other then optimistic on his future.

That said, I totally don't get the comparisons to Rust. Rust brings more then just points, but Rust is also largely a finished product he is 5 years older and has 229 NHL games and playoff runs. That is a chasm of difference in experience, and age. I fully expect Sprong to eclipse Rust's point totals next season, but as I said Rust brings more then just points.

For myself, I was pissed because a coaches personnel bias didn't allow us to find out what we had. I for one think he has the potential to pot north of 30G a season and he will be cheap for a bit as well. None of us know what we have in either player in the Sprong trade. I just think that in our system, and in the NHL if everything goes right for both players Sprong is a much more valued commodity.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The kid is 21, has only 21 games under an NHL coach who is giving him a legit chance. If you think he had a fair chance here in pittsburgh then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Who said life's fair? Sprong obviously had a rough path to success here being stuck behind Kessel, Hornqvist, and Rust.

That said, I totally don't get the comparisons to Rust.
Rust is who Sprong had to bump to earn a spot in the top 9, that's why they are compared.

For myself, I was pissed because a coaches personnel bias didn't allow us to find out what we had.

Who should have been bumped to give him that chance? Keep in mind we were losing games and defensive play was the bulk of the problem.

I just think that in our system, and in the NHL if everything goes right for both players Sprong is a much more valued commodity.

But on our roster, which is the greater need?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Who said life's fair? Sprong obviously had a rough path to success here being stuck behind Kessel, Hornqvist, and Rust.

Rust is who Sprong had to bump to earn a spot in the top 9, that's why they are compared.

Who should have been bumped to give him that chance? Keep in mind we were losing games and defensive play was the bulk of the problem.

But on our roster, which is the greater need?

20 goal ES wingers even 30 goal wingers are not more valuable than a 30 point 22 year old top four D.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wait, Pettersson’s a 30 point D? Even Dumoulin hasn’t sniffed 20.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What are you even getting at?

I'm getting there.

Does that characterization of players scoring at a pace well above 7-10 ES points more a season (25-45+ ES points more) seem reasonable? If 7-10 points is a big difference, then players who are scoring at a pace of 25+ or even 45+ more ES points a year must be so much better that they'd be beyond comparison and it'd be laughable to put them on a similar plane at ES offensively?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm getting there.

Does that characterization of players scoring at a pace well above 7-10 ES points more a season (25-45+ ES points more) seem reasonable? If 7-10 points is a big difference, then players who are scoring at a pace of 25+ or even 45+ more ES points a year must be so much better that they'd be beyond comparison and it'd be laughable to put them on a similar plane at ES offensively?

Do you sell time shares?

Just get to some obtuse stat you’ve pulled showing Sprong is better than everyone on our RW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
5 goals, 2 assists at even strength in 21 games with legit top 9 minutes. A -2 when the Ducks have been outscored by 15 goals in those games (no, I didn't check how much was due to special teams, but it's clear he's doing a little better in the +/- category than the team as a whole). It's . . . okay or meh or validating that there was some potential.

Whether that calls out for 100 pages (give or take) of posts since he was traded . . . :razz:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
5 goals, 2 assists at even strength in 21 games with legit top 9 minutes. A -2 when the Ducks have been outscored by 15 goals in those games (no, I didn't check how much was due to special teams, but it's clear he's doing a little better in the +/- category than the team as a whole). It's . . . okay or meh or validating that there was some potential.

Whether that calls out for 100 pages (give or take) of posts since he was traded . . . :razz:

Honestly though, what thread on this board is worth a fraction of the time invested in it

Reactions: Ogrezilla and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is @pixiesfanyo and @Soggy Biscuit in the Daniel Sprong thread . . .

giphy.gif

This is Kirk watching @pixiesfanyo and @Soggy Biscuit in the Daniel Sprong thread . . .

tenor.gif

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm getting there.

what else are these players doing?
I guess it's too tough to answer. No problemo.
That's because it's not enough information to make a real opinion. The stat tells you what it tells you; the player scoring way more ES points is better at producing at even strength, at least over the time being measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad