Signing(s): Daniel Murphy next contract

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It needs works no doubt. Let's assume that Cespedes, Murphy, Duda are out.

1- RF - Granderson (35 y/o)
2- 3B - Wright (33 y/o and always injured)
3- ???
4- ???
5- ???
6- C - Travis D'arneau (probably moves up into the 4 or 5 spot)
7- SS - Tejada (sub .700 OPS)
8- 2B - Flores (probably doesn't stick here every day but there is no better option)
9- P - Auto out

That's a train wreck with a ton of holes. You have DeGrom, Syn, Matz, as a really good 1-2-3. You trade Harvey, you trade Wheeler, and then you have to fill the holes with other signings.

Conforto will be the regular LF, you forgot him.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It needs works no doubt. Let's assume that Cespedes, Murphy, Duda are out.

1- RF - Granderson (35 y/o)
2- 3B - Wright (33 y/o and always injured)
3- ???
4- ???
5- ???
6- C - Travis D'arneau (probably moves up into the 4 or 5 spot)
7- SS - Tejada (sub .700 OPS)
8- 2B - Flores (probably doesn't stick here every day but there is no better option)
9- P - Auto out

That's a train wreck with a ton of holes. You have DeGrom, Syn, Matz, as a really good 1-2-3. You trade Harvey, you trade Wheeler, and then you have to fill the holes with other signings.

Duda isn't a UFA til next year I believe so I can't imagine he's going anywhere

Fighter of Foo

Sep 16, 2003
Morristown, NJ
Visit site
My bad. I'm actually expecting a good year out of him too. Not sure where he will slot into the line up though.

Mets project him to be the #3 hitter. Not sure if he steps into that role next year, but I was very impressed w/ his postseason performance, even if the #'s don't show it. Hanging in that last at-bat and getting the opposite field single is not something you'd expect from a rookie against the closer in that high-pressure situation.

Duda will be back at 1B and bat cleanup. Expect Dilson Herrera or Flores to be at 2B, Tejada or a FA (Desmond the likely target) at SS. OF of Lagares/Granderson/Conforto, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nimmo gets some time w/ the big club this year (but he's more of a top-of-the-lineup guy).

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, Duda needs to be in there too. They're lacking a huge righty bat in the middle of the lineup. If they make no moves to address any of the positions, I think they'd have to bat Lagares leadoff just to add some depth to the middle of the lineup.

1. Lagares - CF
2. Granderson - RF
3. Wright - 3B
4. Duda - 1B
5. d'Arnaud - C
6. Conforto - LF
7. Flores/Herrera - 2B
8. Flores/Tejada - SS
9. Pitcher

If you keep Granderson at leadoff, the lineup goes downhill quickly after number 5. Lineup above keeps the lefty/righty split going through the lineup until they hit the 7 hole. Lineup will change depending on if it's a righty or lefty pitching again daily anyway.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Csepedes won't be back I'm sure. I don't know if that pitching can carry them if they can't score.

The Mets were several games over .500 and like 30-4 when they scored 4 or more runs through mid July with no Wright, d'arnaud, Murphy for 3 or so weeks, and no Conforto. You have to figure even if they acquire nobody they are going to be better off than that next year.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Mets were several games over .500 and like 30-4 when they scored 4 or more runs through mid July with no Wright, d'arnaud, Murphy for 3 or so weeks, and no Conforto. You have to figure even if they acquire nobody they are going to be better off than that next year.

Speaking of better next year...you have to assume that the other teams in the division improve their rosters and maybe get better. There's always gunna be stuff going into next year that will obviously change. Too lazy to look up individual games but based on schedule I would guess a lot of those games were against East teams who were mostly bad outside of Washington who only finished a couple above .500

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, Duda needs to be in there too. They're lacking a huge righty bat in the middle of the lineup. If they make no moves to address any of the positions, I think they'd have to bat Lagares leadoff just to add some depth to the middle of the lineup.

1. Lagares - CF
2. Granderson - RF
3. Wright - 3B
4. Duda - 1B
5. d'Arnaud - C
6. Conforto - LF
7. Flores/Herrera - 2B
8. Flores/Tejada - SS
9. Pitcher

If you keep Granderson at leadoff, the lineup goes downhill quickly after number 5. Lineup above keeps the lefty/righty split going through the lineup until they hit the 7 hole. Lineup will change depending on if it's a righty or lefty pitching again daily anyway.

they need to find a way to add speed to that lineup. with that lineup they have no one that can create things on the base paths. I am not sure who goes out of that lineup but I don't know if you can get away with being last in the NL again and be successful offensively like they were from July on.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Mets don't make the playoffs without cespedes.

They were beating up on most of those teams during his hot stretch aside from him. The only question is do they not sweep Washington without him? I think Washington effectively shot themselves in the foot this year that even without Cespedes the Mets would have won the division

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Cespedes was the kick start for the Mets though. Nats curled up and died so I think the Mets pass them anyway but Cespedes got the ball rolling for sure.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
from the time cespedes was traded to the mets through 9/15 they played washington (2 games), @miami (3), @tampa (3), colorado (4), pittsburgh (3), @baltimore (2), @colorado (3), @philly (4), boston (3), philly (3), @miami (3), @washington (3), @atlanta (4) and miami (2)

that's a whopping three games against playoff teams, 18 games against three of the four worst pitching staffs in baseball (colorado, philly and atlanta) and just generally an easy schedule for the mets. cespedes went off for 17 homers and an ops over 1. in these games, prompting some to bring up his name for the nl mvp lol.

after 9/15 the mets played many of those same teams but cespedes hit 0 homers and had a .639 ops. this was a problem in boston where the red sox were disappointed at how tired he seemed to be and how he was completely worn down by the end of the season. he hit .222/.232/.352 this postseason.

tl;dr: he came out gangbusters against ****** teams but hit a wall in the middle of september and never recovered.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Cespedes is lock for the worst contract this winter. He has great arm and good power (not elite) but not .obp threat, his range will continue to decline, not good as runner.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
personally, i think chris davis will end up being the worst. cespedes is fine in left field for a team that can hit him sixth or something. he's not a middle of the order bat.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
personally, i think chris davis will end up being the worst. cespedes is fine in left field for a team that can hit him sixth or something. he's not a middle of the order bat.
Most likely landing spot for Davis, what do you think? I'm bet on Angels or Giants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad