Daniel Alfredsson III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
No kidding. Nor any mention of nyquist. Or the fact that he finished tied with a defenseman for the team lead in scoring.

To be fair, he was still 5th in ppg on the team. And played at least 11 games more than anyone higher than him, so there's something to be said about actually being there to play games.

(3rd in ES points, 2nd in PP points)

So however you slice it, he was a top player on that team.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
No, if the Wings roster was healthy last year, Alfredsson would've had less icetime and less opportunity to put up points.

I'm not trying to take away his career accomplishments or anything, but you simply can't look at raw numbers here. He was moved up the depth chart when injuries hit.

He had 30 points in his first 36 games before Datsyuk got injured after the January 1 game. He was putting up his points with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, not in their absence.

Nyquist, Sheahan, and Tatar were the beneficiaries of more ice time in the wake of the injuries to the stars.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Guess who just got themselves a minor back injury.

He has stopped skating with his Wings teammates and will not resume until he feels better.

As per TSN1200

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Guess who just got themselves a minor back injury.

He has stopped skating with his Wings teammates and will not resume until he feels better.

As per TSN1200

It's a sad situation all-around. You know he would've had so much more leeway and time to make his own decisions and there always would've been a spot open for him if he had stayed here.

Who knows if the Wings would even consider signing him partway through the season, or ever?

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
To be fair, he was still 5th in ppg on the team. And played at least 11 games more than anyone higher than him, so there's something to be said about actually being there to play games.

(3rd in ES points, 2nd in PP points)

So however you slice it, he was a top player on that team.

Completely off topic but why am I getting a pop up where it says "play games"!?
Is the link that pops up cpu driven or did you put it there Caeldan?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
It's a sad situation all-around. You know he would've had so much more leeway and time to make his own decisions and there always would've been a spot open for him if he had stayed here.

Who knows if the Wings would even consider signing him partway through the season, or ever?

Yep. For us fans, it sucks that he didn't finish a Senator. We loved the man.

I know he said he didn't care about his legacy but that can't be true. If it was me, I'd regret leaving. Grass isn't always greener, right?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's over, guys. Detroit's not signing him. Babcock will be telling Holland, "Told you so". Does anyone think that back will get better over the season when it hasn't all summer? All that's left to do now is manage his exit news conference.

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
Yep. For us fans, it sucks that he didn't finish a Senator. We loved the man.

I know he said he didn't care about his legacy but that can't be true. If it was me, I'd regret leaving. Grass isn't always greener, right?

i have some friends who are very close with his family(they stay with them when they come to ottawa).
Bibi insists they will be moving back eventually. The boys also insist they are coming home to Ottawa.

sens1999

Jan 16, 2012
I have heard the same thing from a number of different people connected to the family. I think that Alfie is not sure where he wants to settle.

It wouldn't be easy being Daniel Alfredsson in Ottawa, even before his departure. To me, his choices would be Ottawa and Sweden where he would be as recognized as he is in Ottawa. The boys are Canadian and Alfie always said that they enjoyed spending the summer in Sweden but couldn't wait to get back home to Ottawa.

I hope they return to Ottawa. You can never have enough good people in your city and the Alfredssons are missed in this community.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I certainly welcome Alfie back as part of the organization but I'm not sure I'd want him on the team

That era is done, it's time to move on

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I hope he just retires already and we can put behind the whole gross red wings behind in the past. Still feel sick when I remember him playing against us.
:(

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Yeah, I imagine this is how Stars fans felt seeing Modano wearing the wheel.

Modano as a 40 year old played half the season, put up 15 points, and watched his career fade from the pressbox. It was an olympic year, too, but he wasn't on team USA.

Alfie as a 41 tear old played two thirds of the season, outpaced Modano's point total with his goals, led the team in points, and won an olympic silver.

Stars fans watched Modano's career slip away midway through the season. Ottawa fans watched vintage Alfie wearing another jersey.

While there are parallels from afar, it's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I wonder if Crosby is going to expect compensation from the pens for playing the last three years of his contract at 3.0, Like alfie did for 1.0

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I wonder if Crosby is going to expect compensation from the pens for playing the last three years of his contract at 3.0, Like alfie did for 1.0

Things like this are just stupid. He was well underpaid according to market value while he was here and no one can really deny that.

The fact that management is able to drive a wedge between the fans and the player who gave it all for over a decade is telling as to who is driving this bus.

Ridiculous.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The last years of Alfie's old contract here were pure cap circumvention. He played them out as he is required to do, but then he wanted to be compensated properly for the cash he lost. I have no issue with that.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The last years of Alfie's old contract here were pure cap circumvention. He played them out as he is required to do, but then he wanted to be compensated properly for the cash he lost. I have no issue with that.

As am I. My issue though is that it didn't seem like he negotiated in good faith. He signed with Detroit at 12:01 PM.

He clearly was angry and, in a hot-headed move, chose to go to Detroit to stick it to Ottawa management.

You can't fault those who are loyal to the team for taking hubris in his treatment by Detroit.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I still want to see Alfie play in Ottawa again, but if this is the end of the road for him i really hope he signs a one way contract to retire as a Senator.

Still my favorite player of all time, and I lived in Edmonton when the Oilers were winning cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad