Daniel Alfredsson III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
That's one way to see it. Another way is that he burned his bridges and tarnished his legacy with the team that he built his career with to go to the highest bidder, and then when he got hurt, the new team didn't show interest in him anymore. It almost sounds like a bad Hollywood rom-com to me, with a cliche yet satisfying ending.

Yup, I can't imagine he'll look back on the past fourteen months with anything but regret.

He missed out on his opportunity to have the send off he deserved and to finish his career as a hero within a community he helped build from basically the ground up.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Yup, I can't imagine he'll look back on the past fourteen months with anything but regret.

He missed out on his opportunity to have the send off he deserved and to finish his career as a hero within a community he helped build from basically the ground up.
I'm sure he'll have a degree of regret that his Ottawa career didn't end in a Disney-esque fashion.

However, there's no way he's going to regret winning an olympic medal with several Red Wing teammates, and playing a major role in leading his new team to a playoff birth (while his former team continued to struggle with youthful inconsistency).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure he'll have a degree of regret that his Ottawa career didn't end in a Disney-esque fashion.

However, there's no way he's going to regret winning an olympic medal with several Red Wing teammates, and playing a major role in leading his new team to a playoff birth (while his former team continued to struggle with youthful inconsistency).

He'd have won the Olympic medal with NHL teammates regardless, so it's an irrelevant point.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Ha. Not even close. He'd have won it with Erik.

He had Gustafsson, Ericsson, Kronwall, Nyquist, Franzen, and Zetterberg with him on Detroit.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Didn't he say he didn't care about his legacy? Though I had read that somewhere

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Kings roster is set. They absolutely do not need him.

Bruins and Hawks are in cap hell right now. They need to trade players before they would be capable of signing him.

Penguins are close to the cap as well.

At this point in time, it really is either Detroit or retirement for him.

I'm not in his position, but I'd be knocking on a contender's door in a big way - and I would have been since July 1st. I wouldn't necessarily uproot the family if they didn't want to, but if I was gonna play, I'd try to play for a contender.

Just...such a long, wonderful career to 'play it out' in Detroit. They have about a 5% better chance of hoisting the Cup than Ottawa, it's just not gonna happen. Although, I guess if he signs a cap friendly 1 year deal, they can move him to a contender at the deadline.

Would like to see him hoist a Cup personally.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He bailed on us at a critical time

I can certainly understand why he made the decision he made and appreciate the situation he was in when he left for Detroit

That being said

I'm not one bit sad about this turn of events: he may have had good, valid reasons to betray the team but he still betrayed us

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'd still like to see him back for one more year.

I think that year he spent on Turris' wing helped Turris and lot and I would be glad to see him try to do the same on Zibanejad's wing for one season.

Besides, for one season, even at 42, I'd take him over any of our RWs other than Ryan.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Wasn't Alfredsson left off the initial Team Sweden roster in the summer prior to leaving for Detroit?

The fact that it was an Olympic year, and he'd be interjecting himself on a team with a few major players from Team Sweden's core could have been a big deciding factor.

Depending on how high you hold Olympic medals in regard; If Alfredsson leaving for Detroit was the catalyst for him being a part of a Silver medal winning team, you could argue it was a successful move on his part.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He had Gustafsson, Ericsson, Kronwall, Nyquist, Franzen, and Zetterberg with him on Detroit.

Does an Olympic silver suddenly mean more because he played with some swedes on Detroit for 20-30 games first? No, it really doesn't.

The truth is your point was moot. The olympic medal would still be in his trophy case. The only difference being that he play a couple dozen games with his teammates first. Does that really add much value? Idk, but I do know it's not worth trampling a legacy; his motivations for that lie elsewhere.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Didn't he say he didn't care about his legacy? Though I had read that somewhere

It only makes sense. Don't live your life trying to build a paper version of yourself to roll up and put in a time capsule.

Make the right decisions for yourself, and for the ones you care about. You might care about your colleagues, and might value your employer. He'd already honoured his team. No need to completely subjugate himself if it didn't fit his needs.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Again, irrelevant point. He was making the Swedish team regardless. The fact that he played on Detroit did nothing to change that.

He screwed up by leaving. Deep down he knows that. From what I hear, his wife hates it there and can't wait to leave so you know she must be really loving it that they're now stuck in Detroit and he has to play for a contract.

And if anything, this hurt his HHOF bid. Remember it's a subjective vote by journalists. He was always a bubble guy but what helped him is that he was held in high regard for sticking with one team his entire career. Maybe some voters will hold that against him now. Going to Detroit did nothing to strengthen his bid.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Does an Olympic silver suddenly mean more because he played with some swedes on Detroit for 20-30 games first? No, it really doesn't.

The truth is your point was moot. The olympic medal would still be in his trophy case. The only difference being that he play a couple dozen games with his teammates first. Does that really add much value? Idk, but I do know it's not worth trampling a legacy; his motivations for that lie elsewhere.

He developed chemistry with a third of his Swedish teammates day in, day out on the road to play for gold in Sochi. Your original point that he would have played with Karlsson otherwise, and the addendum that he would have won the silver regardless does nothing to cancel out my point, and while we're at it, the second point is pure speculation.

Again, irrelevant point. He was making the Swedish team regardless. The fact that he played on Detroit did nothing to change that.

He screwed up by leaving. Deep down he knows that. From what I hear, his wife hates it there and can't wait to leave so you know she must be really loving it that they're now stuck in Detroit and he has to play for a contract.

And if anything, this hurt his HHOF bid. Remember it's a subjective vote by journalists. He was always a bubble guy but what helped him is that he was held in high regard for sticking with one team his entire career. Maybe some voters will hold that against him now. Going to Detroit did nothing to strengthen his bid.

Leading his new team to a playoff birth with a letter on his chest, and in scoring as a 41 year old is going to hurt his HHOF bid? Ok bud.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He developed chemistry with a third of his Swedish teammates day in, day out on the road to play for gold in Sochi. Your original point that he would have played with Karlsson otherwise, and the addendum that he would have won the silver regardless does nothing to cancel out my point, and while we're at it, the second point is pure speculation.

Leading his new team to a playoff birth with a letter on his chest, and in scoring as a 41 year old is going to hurt his HHOF bid? Ok bud.

He didn't leave Ottawa to help Detroit "earn a playoff berth". He left because he wanted to win a championship and he said Detroit have him the best chance to do that. Instead they got ****ing obliterated in the first round and now he's sitting around with his dick in his hand waiting for a contract. His whole legacy has been sadly thrown to the bottom of a well never to be seen again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

A third of his olympic teamates might be a bit of an exageration; Franzen didn't play and Gustafsson was a backup goalie. There were also more than

As for your last comment, more importantly it takes away his status as playing a career with only one team, which like it or not affects voters. Leading his team to a playoff birth was by default as the wings suffered numerous injuries. His letter was also the result of an injury. They certainly didn't strip Kronwall, Datzyuk or Zetterberg. His scoring totals were pedestrian, and nothing to add or take away from his resume.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
A third of his olympic teamates might be a bit of an exageration; Franzen didn't play and Gustafsson was a backup goalie. There were also more than

As for your last comment, more importantly it takes away his status as playing a career with only one team, which like it or not affects voters. Leading his team to a playoff birth was by default as the wings suffered numerous injuries. His letter was also the result of an injury. They certainly didn't strip Kronwall, Datzyuk or Zetterberg. His scoring totals were pedestrian, and nothing to add or take away from his resume.

The 'playing with one team for his whole career' status would have been incredible. I wholeheartedly agree.

He was productive in his one season away from Ottawa, though. Aside from the other factors mentioned, he scored a goal in the winter classic as well. He certainly didn't hurt his HHOF candidacy.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

You are GROSSLY over rating his contributions to Detroit. He wore a letter by default because better players were hurt. He led the team in scoring because better players were hurt.

That season in Detroit did NOTHING for his HHOF chances. Nothing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Who cares about the HHoF anyway? A completely irrelevant institution since it allows pretty much anybody decent in it's halls

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The 'playing with one team for his whole career' status would have been incredible. I wholeheartedly agree.

He was productive in his one season away from Ottawa, though. Aside from the other factors mentioned, he scored a goal in the winter classic as well. He certainly didn't hurt his HHOF candidacy.
He would have been just as productive with Ottawa had he decided to stay, if not more given the additional ToC. What's harder to say is whether he would have made the playoffs with Ottawa, because we don't know what the rest of the team would have looked like. Do we still get MacArthur? Do we still trade for Ryan?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Not much of an accomplishment when most of the main point getters missed huge chunks of the season with injury.

If the roster was healthy and intact for most of the season, then you'd have a point.

Gotta look beyond the numbers.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Not much of an accomplishment when most of the main point getters missed huge chunks of the season with injury.

If the roster was healthy and intact for most of the season, then you'd have a point.

Gotta look beyond the numbers.

Whenever a 40 year old leads a pro sports team in anything, it's an accomplishment in itself.

But sure, lets speculate as to what would happen without the injury bug. He likely puts up an extra ten points alongside Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and they have a much better chance of going deep come playoff time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Whenever a 40 year old leads a pro sports team in anything, it's an accomplishment in itself.

But sure, lets speculate as to what would happen without the injury bug. He likely puts up an extra ten points alongside Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and they have a much better chance of going deep come playoff time.

No, if the Wings roster was healthy last year, Alfredsson would've had less icetime and less opportunity to put up points.

I'm not trying to take away his career accomplishments or anything, but you simply can't look at raw numbers here. He was moved up the depth chart when injuries hit.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No, if the Wings roster was healthy last year, Alfredsson would've had less icetime and less opportunity to put up points.

I'm not trying to take away his career accomplishments or anything, but you simply can't look at raw numbers here. He was moved up the depth chart when injuries hit.

True. But the record books won't show a column for points and another column for points scored after injuries struck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad