Speculation: Daniel Alfredsson: "I might play another year"

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Lets say Alfredsson finishes this season with 65 points.

Taking another year of age into consideration and other factors, say he gets 50 points in 2014-15.

I don't know who in our organization is going to score 50 points (or close) in their rookie year that isn't already playing (Nyquist/Tatar).

Not to mention that a guy that can shoot like that will remain an asset on the power play.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
His pace is actually ~75 points over 82 games.

Which is pretty nuts.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Would love to have him back. Offer him the same contract he's got now, would be silly to try to reduce his pay assuming he continues to be an important piece of the team and PP unit.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
http://www.svtplay.se/klipp/1644038/alfredsson-det-kanns-nastan-skamset-nar-man-kommer-tillbaka

Anyway, he says if the body feels fresh and it's fun to play he's considering another season, depending on what happens this season.

He's a guy that means this too... He's been saying for a few years now, " if the body feels fresh"... I fully believe if he wakes up in the summer, and feels like he's not going to be able to get up and down the ice, the way that he wants, he won't come back just for the money. He's not a guy that's just hanging on for another paycheque. He'll leave if his body says stop , or he'll play if he's still got the desire to win. He was just about ready to hang em up 2 years ago, then he had a lot of fun playing with the young new guys on the Sens last year. Maybe Nyquist, Tatar, and some of the young defenceman will continue to keep it fun for him.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
id totally like him for another year obviously a lil pay cut but i think he plays well here loves the pp RW shot and all the other swedes playing here hes playing just as i thought he would not the to go guy but a nice secondary

Sens fans probably posted something eerily similar a year ago today.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My 2014-15 Cap estimate:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($7.500m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.400m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.700m)
Mitchell Callahan ($0.600m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.700m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($2.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

BUYOUTS
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,974,545; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,325,455

I'd suggest same kind of deal like the later one for Alfie. But the figure is 7.5M, because it includes both bonuses, this years bonus which will slide to next year and next years bonus, that both could be fitted in next years cap, because there will be so much room.

My estimate for the cap rise is 4 million. Waiving Tootoo could make extra room again, by 1 million if he is not claimed, and with 2 million if someone will claim him at next season. With the cap rise and only one year left of his contract, that could be better possible than this year.

Tatar gets +1 million short-term extension and DeKeyser gets +2 million long-term extension.

Quincey, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Cleary, Eaves let walk. Our "Fantastic four" who'll lose their waiver-eligibility (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist) are promoted from Griffins as replacements.

I also re-signed Gustavsson for 1-year. Non-re-signing him could make another million room if we just promote Mrazek, bit there's no hurry for that move. Monster has been so solid ans Mrazek will be waiver-eligible for three seasons.

So at next years there's lots of flexibility. We could start the season with that roster and try to build bigger cap room towards the deadline. If there's no reasonable deals and we donöt use the cap space, then we eat next years Alfie bonuses at current years cap, and those wonöt slide anymore to next years cap. It helps that way. Season 2015-16 could be possible for bigger push with more rising cap without any Alfie bonuses carried that far.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
My 2014-15 Cap estimate:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($7.500m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.400m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.700m)
Mitchell Callahan ($0.600m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.700m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($2.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

BUYOUTS
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,974,545; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,325,455

I'd suggest same kind of deal like the later one for Alfie. But the figure is 7.5M, because it includes both bonuses, this years bonus which will slide to next year and next years bonus, that both could be fitted in next years cap, because there will be so much room.

My estimate for the cap rise is 4 million. Waiving Tootoo could make extra room again, by 1 million if he is not claimed, and with 2 million if someone will claim him at next season. With the cap rise and only one year left of his contract, that could be better possible than this year.

Tatar gets +1 million short-term extension and DeKeyser gets +2 million long-term extension.

Quincey, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Cleary, Eaves let walk. Our "Fantastic four" who'll lose their waiver-eligibility (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist) are promoted from Griffins as replacements.

I also re-signed Gustavsson for 1-year. Non-re-signing him could make another million room if we just promote Mrazek, bit there's no hurry for that move. Monster has been so solid ans Mrazek will be waiver-eligible for three seasons.

So at next years there's lots of flexibility. We could start the season with that roster and try to build bigger cap room towards the deadline. If there's no reasonable deals and we donöt use the cap space, then we eat next years Alfie bonuses at current years cap, and those wonöt slide anymore to next years cap. It helps that way. Season 2015-16 could be possible for bigger push with more rising cap without any Alfie bonuses carried that far.

This is a very good and astute post.
I believe the actions that K. Holland will take may very well involve a lot of these moves.

If the cap goes up next year.
Tootoo, Eaves can likely be traded easily, especially if Eaves keeps up his production as is in grand rapids.

Alfredsson is a very good player. Some questioned how much he would produce and I said we basically have a 41 year old zetterberg who is still good, still producing. He is currently at 0.91 PPG, and his vision and passing is definitely making plays happen. In comparison D is at 0.96 PPG, and Z is at 1.07 PPG. Basically we have 3 superstars on our team now. That is what Alfie is. And if he wants to come back for 1 more year… That is someone you resign. 5.5Million is a fair offer for that player.
Obviously it would be more than nice to have a player like him for 1Million a season, but common, You offer him 5.5 and if he says, "Hey man, I'll play for 4Million or 3Million", then you take it and run. Else just pay the man what he is worth. Because technically he is the MOST valuable player on the team in Salary per PPG production at this point. (not including rookies).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is a very good and astute post.
I believe the actions that K. Holland will take may very well involve a lot of these moves.

If the cap goes up next year.
Tootoo, Eaves can likely be traded easily, especially if Eaves keeps up his production as is in grand rapids.

Eaves is UFA. Just let him walk. Tootoo is the only one having contract of the "dead weight".

If they would want to sign him for mentoring kids in AHL, then maybe 1-year extension with the max 925k salary, so he could moved down without any waiver penalties. That's the absolute maximum we could think with Eaves at this point.

iwtb*

Eaves is UFA. Just let him walk. Tootoo is the only one having contract of the "dead weight".

If they would want to sign him for mentoring kids in AHL, then maybe 1-year extension with the max 925k salary, so he could moved down without any waiver penalties. That's the absolute maximum we could think with Eaves at this point.

Tootoo is dead weight to you? One of those few players we have with some physically and touchness what you expect hockey players to be. And Tootoo is able to score some points too but Babcock ****ed up with him

And Team B&H send him to Griffins... Oh sweet 90's

NyquistIsMyGod*

Jordin Tootoo signed his contract before September 2012 so I think he's eligible to be bought out. Last year of complimentary buyouts, so I figure he could be bought out. Probably the best idea too for both sides as Tootoo deserves to be in the NHL. He looked fantastic in his last year with the Predators.

Daniel Alfredsson could probably make the same if not more money next season than this previous year if he was to return. He's a . 85 PPG and is a big need due to his right handed shot, style, and of course it doesn't hurt that he sells quite a bit of jerseys and what not.

Kyle Quincey is probably gone, but there's a chance that he takes a one year re-signing and we use him as a short-term stop-gap again. I'm thinking we roll the ball with Adam Almquist up though. Team seemed to prefer Ouellet up though, and I think the plan is to have him, Sproul and Jurco come up around 22 years old (15/16).

I'm surprised nobody has Dan Cleary. Team loves it's loyalty, and I think Cleary actually accepted a hometown discount based on the fact that he was offered a multi-year contract. As a fourth liner, he's fine. $1,200,000 or so.I'd also imagine Luke Glendening up.

Tomas Tatar re-signs 2 years worth uh, 2.6M total.
Danny DeKeyser re-signs 3 years around 9.5M total.

I could then see Landon and Callahan re-signing and placed on waivers. Riley Sheahan becomes the kid that misses the team, gets called up a bunch, and eventually sticks during the season.

Jonas Gustavsson probably won't be back. If he can play 20+ games and keep his save percentage over .920% he's looking at over 3 million per year. Petr Mrazek, who again, a short-term stop gap in a veteran back-up.

If Alfredsson doesn't return, I'd imagine a 1-2 year deal with a veteran top six. Hopefully no more than 1 with Nyquist/Tatar deserving more minutes, the emergence of Abdelkader and Helm, and then Jurco close.

I don't think much needs to happen. We're strong, and developing, which is rare.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Helm-Alfredsson
Miller-Andersson-Cleary
Glendening, Sheahan/UFA/Tootoo/Landon/Callahan/etc

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Smith
Lashoff-Kindl
Almquist/Veteran/Quincey (getting regular minutes)

Howard
Mrazek/UFA

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I could then see Landon and Callahan re-signing and placed on waivers. Riley Sheahan becomes the kid that misses the team, gets called up a bunch, and eventually sticks during the season.

Sheahan also would have to go through waivers to go back down next year if I'm not mistaken.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah right. Throw the rebuild on the fly on carbage can by throwing all "graduating" kids on waivers.

Bad asset management. Worst way of all scenarios.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Yeah right. Throw the rebuild on the fly on carbage can by throwing all "graduating" kids on waivers.

Bad asset management. Worst way of all scenarios.

Are you serious? Who's spot Landon and Callahan taking? They're in the same position as other past Red Wings/Griffins. No longer interested/graduated the Griffins and aren't good enough to crack the roster. There's nothing you can do in these situations. Landon and Callahan don't exactly have that high of a peak potential. You carry Riley Sheahan with you, but these guys are expendible.

i agree but if they are still below average nhlers next year, there is not much you can do.

Bingo.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We haven't even seen yet are they (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan) average or not. Emmerton was seen for two years and then we saw enough, he doesn't pan out. We have to see these kids for few seasons first, then cut them away if they don't pan out.

And everybody has some elements that will be valuable for our team.

NyquistIsMyGod*

We haven't even seen yet are they (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan) average or not. Emmerton was seen for two years and then we saw enough, he doesn't pan out. We have to see these kids for few seasons first, then cut them away if they don't pan out.

They have training camp and preseason. You don't bump a guy like Miller or Andersson out of the line-up to give these kids a couple seasons to see what they can do. There's too many prospects right now, and the team is too deep. You're going to have about 10-11 regulars back, and then you're adding in a player like Glendening who will probably be up.

Callahan and Landon are expendible. If they can't crack the roster, earn it over the veterans, then tough. Just because you're young and out of options, it does not mean you get a couple of seasons in the NHL.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
if this was rebuilding team yes, give ferraro and callahan anc co couple of seasons. but this is a team that best players are in their 30s and likely won't have many elite years left. i'd rather give them the best possible support; while not ignoring long-term plans.

more often than not, when you run out of waiver options, and player still doesn't bring it, it's time to give up.

it's not like ferraro and co are going to be big impact level players. they have shown little to nothing for it. ryan o' reilly was picked after ferraro and was nhler in his first year and would be 3rd best forward on this team.

how is letting all the players they have let walk for free agency in past few years for asset management?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Are you serious? Who's spot Landon and Callahan taking? They're in the same position as other past Red Wings/Griffins. No longer interested/graduated the Griffins and aren't good enough to crack the roster. There's nothing you can do in these situations. Landon and Callahan don't exactly have that high of a peak potential. You carry Riley Sheahan with you, but these guys are expendible.

Uhh Bertuzzi's, Cleary's, or Sammy's you know guys who are most likely not coming back next season. They have 9 forwards on the book for next season, 10 after re-signing Tatar. After that they could go after a UFA or re-sign Alfie if he's up to come back and you have 11 out of a possible 14 forwards (assuming they're going with 14F/7D/2G) and 3 open spots for Sheahan, Callahan, and Ferraro.

I understand the reasoning for not wanting to give them a couple seasons, or bumping veterans to make space, but why would you waive them when you have open roster spots?

Side note: Why are you so down on Ferraro? He's got everything to make him an effective middle 6 players a la Danny ****ing Cleary (when he was actually good) just a bit smaller but a lot faster. He's got Helm-lite speed, great PK skills, good offensive chops, RH shot with a great wrister, and he plays a gritty chippy style. Definitely not an expendable prospect that you throw away without giving him at least an extended look at the NHL.

Last edited:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
This just makes me even more excited for 24/7. I love hearing players mic'd up.

Alfie is a great guy to have on and off the ice. But regardless of his qualities as a leader, they need to see if he's the best option in the off season. If he's motivated to come back and he plays well all season, I have no problems having him back

NyquistIsMyGod*

Uhh Bertuzzi's, Cleary's, or Sammy's you know guys who are most likely not coming back next season. They have 9 forwards on the book for next season, 10 after re-signing Tatar. After that they could go after a UFA or re-sign Alfie if he's up to come back and you have 11 out of a possible 14 forwards (assuming they're going with 14F/7D/2G) and 3 open spots for Sheahan, Callahan, and Ferraro.

I understand the reasoning for not wanting to give them a couple seasons, or bumping veterans to make space, but why would you waive them when you have open roster spots?

Side note: Why are you so down on Ferraro? He's got everything to make him an effective middle 6 players a la Danny ****ing Cleary (when he was actually good) just a bit smaller but a lot faster. He's got Helm-lite speed, great PK skills, good offensive chops, RH shot with a great wrister, and he plays a gritty chippy style. Definitely not an expendable prospect that you throw away without giving him at least an extended look at the NHL.

There's still a pretty damn good chance that Dan Cleary re-signs. I'm also imagining Daniel Alfredsson re-signing. Tomas Tatar and Luke Glendening are RFAs who will likely return too.

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Franzen
Alfredsson/Cleary (I'll say one right now)
Weiss
Helm
Nyquist
Tatar
Miller
Andersson
Glendening
Abdelkader

That's 12 forwards right there. You can throw Riley Sheahan potentially into the mix as well. That's 13. Right now the team is rolling with about 14 if I'm not mistaken. Knowing Detroit, you can't throw out the idea of another big player signed. (This is also assumed Tootoo is bought-out)

Landon is interesting. However, we have Miller, Helm, Andersson, Cleary, Glendening, and Abdelkader who all fill a similar role. Landon would have his chance during pre-season and training camp. If he shows he can't keep up, can't take a roster spot of some sort, then you're out of options with him. Don't act like this doesn't happen, specificially in Detroit. These guys are ranked as decent prospects, and are in the middle of the AHL-NHL.

Simply could hit a Joe Colborne type of situation. Can't crack the roster, and is dealt for a mid pick. I'm also not that high on either player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad