Speculation: Daniel Alfredsson: "I might play another year"

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
So far this season, I'd love to have him back. He definitely doesn't play like a 40 year old. He's holding up with the likes of Helm and Abdelkader and scoring at nearly a PPG pace.

However, I want to see how this season pans out and how he does in the playoffs he they do make it. Also want to see the options out there in free agency and our prospects who are ready to make the jump up to the NHL.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
So far this season, I'd love to have him back. He definitely doesn't play like a 40 year old. He's holding up with the likes of Helm and Abdelkader and scoring at nearly a PPG pace.

However, I want to see how this season pans out and how he does in the playoffs he they do make it. Also want to see the options out there in free agency and our prospects who are ready to make the jump up to the NHL.

Also depends on what kind of money he wants...If he could lower it a bit from this season sure.. I mean, after 40 you can't get as much or a raise from your previous season IMO

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Also depends on what kind of money he wants...If he could lower it a bit from this season sure.. I mean, after 40 you can't get as much or a raise from your previous season IMO

Selanne, at $2 million, is a decent gauge. Considering Alfie isn't a Detroit hero, the way Teemu is for the Ducks, maybe $3 million.

I'd easily welcome him back. It's painfully obvious he's the only guy who sees the ice as well as Datsyuk or Zetterberg. His speed may fade, but his puck skills and hockey IQ are always going to be through the roof, which is a major boost to the powerplay.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Dude ain't gonna sign for peanuts. 19 in 22 so far so like a .86 ppg. Give him a deal like this year 3 mil + performance bonuses.

You all our crazy if you think someone producing .8 ppg or more is gonna sign for 2 mil.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
he's very likely to slow down on that, imo.

So who is more worthy of a 3 mil contract alfie or sammy :sarcasm: ? 3 mill isn't gonna break the bank either. Plus if he gets paired with dats once he gets back and is a mainstay on his line I would be suprised to see him go lower than .7 ppg. Dude can still play. He is also a proven playoff performer. 3 mil plus performance bonuses doesn't insult him as a offer. If he can produce 60 points, plus contribute as a 2 way player, as well as provide legitimate veteran leadership (**** off cleary) he is worth 3 + bonuses.

He still also has a head for the game. In the offensive zone he searches for open ice and lets his shot rip when he gets the puck on his stick. He is also a unselfish player who is willing to pass to a more open teammate as well. If he, weiss, and dats get put together when dats is healthy will be great. It allows tatar to be put with helm and abby to give that line some offensive punch and a cycle consisting of alfie/dats or weiss/dats with the off winger lurking for open ice to shot when paired with one of the top 5 playmaking centers in the game.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
i wasn't saying that he doesn't deserve that type of deal.

just that he's unlikely to maintain his current pace.

He is trending high right now at a notch below .9 ppg I give you that. But if given a good line with a great playmaking center (either of 13 or 40) I wouldn't worry about him finishing at worse than .7 ppg.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Remember how things went with Melnyk/Ottawa last summer, dont lowball Alfie

If the cap goes up slightly, even to 67ish and we cut the dead weight we are set to lose this offseason(Cleary, Sammy, Quincey) and Bert retires I have no re upping on Alfie with the same type of contract(3-3.5 guaranteed/$1.5-2 mil bonus). Hopefully we see Holland backfill the rest of the roster with some of our prospects(looking at either Mantha or Jurco, Oullet, possibly Sproul).

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Good for Alfie. I would not mind having him back at all.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
hes got that hockey IQ that many of our young guns i.e. helmer and abby get to expierence and does them wonders

Has anyone noticed that guys like Helmer and Abby have become much better?

I am not saying that it's all Alfie but even Miller seems to have a little more to go around with his game (maybe it was a two goal night glinting in my eye.)

I think his impact is amazing as a vet and I'd love to see him again.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
So who is more worthy of a 3 mil contract alfie or sammy :sarcasm: ? 3 mill isn't gonna break the bank either. Plus if he gets paired with dats once he gets back and is a mainstay on his line I would be suprised to see him go lower than .7 ppg. Dude can still play. He is also a proven playoff performer. 3 mil plus performance bonuses doesn't insult him as a offer. If he can produce 60 points, plus contribute as a 2 way player, as well as provide legitimate veteran leadership (**** off cleary) he is worth 3 + bonuses.

He still also has a head for the game. In the offensive zone he searches for open ice and lets his shot rip when he gets the puck on his stick. He is also a unselfish player who is willing to pass to a more open teammate as well. If he, weiss, and dats get put together when dats is healthy will be great. It allows tatar to be put with helm and abby to give that line some offensive punch and a cycle consisting of alfie/dats or weiss/dats with the off winger lurking for open ice to shot when paired with one of the top 5 playmaking centers in the game.

If he puts up 60 pts this year he's going to get more than 3 mil.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If his play doesn't drop off significantly, it's a no-brainer that we should want him back. He's a great asset, and another year of Alfie helps bridge the gap to Jurco/Mantha.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Selanne, at $2 million, is a decent gauge. Considering Alfie isn't a Detroit hero, the way Teemu is for the Ducks, maybe $3 million.

I'd easily welcome him back. It's painfully obvious he's the only guy who sees the ice as well as Datsyuk or Zetterberg or Nyquist. His speed may fade, but his puck skills and hockey IQ are always going to be through the roof, which is a major boost to the powerplay.

Fixed :D

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I'd love him back depending on the price. Keep in mind his bonus from this year already is on our cap next season.

The only thing that worries me is how WELL he's playing. He seems hungry to win and wants a cup badly. Can he really sustain this level of play over an entire season + playoffs? Only time will tell. Either way it would leave me worried going into next season. He could burn out at some point.. But I love the guy and he's welcome to stay.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Not sure. Wait and see how the next group of prospects look next training camp. No sense in paying 4.0ish million dollars if you can get close to Alfie's production with a 800-900k prospect instead.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Not sure. Wait and see how the next group of prospects look next training camp. No sense in paying 4.0ish million dollars if you can get close to Alfie's production with a 800-900k prospect instead.

Lets say Alfredsson finishes this season with 65 points.

Taking another year of age into consideration and other factors, say he gets 50 points in 2014-15.

I don't know who in our organization is going to score 50 points (or close) in their rookie year that isn't already playing (Nyquist/Tatar).

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Taking another year of age into consideration and other factors, say he gets 50 points in 2014-15.

I don't know who in our organization is going to score 50 points (or close) in their rookie year that isn't already playing (Nyquist/Tatar).

Yeah, there's definitely a gap. I wouldn't worry in the least bit about Alfie taking a roster spot that could be filled by a prospect who could bring nearly the same value. You don't turn a guy like Alfie away to give a spot to a kid who's almost certainly not going to provide what Alfie does.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

This. Unless Mantha or Jarnkrok become these superstars right off the bat, no one in our prospect pool is capable of putting up those numbers.

It's just reality.

Alfie is still a very good player. He maintained his health and stamina throughout the majority of last season; I don't think longevity is a issue. That's not to say he's not slowing down - he is 41, but he's more than capable of playing on this team again. Slot him on the 3rd line with Helm and we have successfully put together one of the 3rd lines IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad