Speculation: Daniel Alfredsson: "I might play another year"

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
I'd be shocked if it was anyone other than Ottawa or Detroit. Seems he's moved on from Ottawa so probably Detroit.

id totally like him for another year obviously a lil pay cut but i think he plays well here loves the pp RW shot and all the other swedes playing here hes playing just as i thought he would not the to go guy but a nice secondary

source

Jul 13, 2008
if he does play another year do you think it would be here or do you think he signs with another team?

I would think Detroit. Samuelsson, Cleary, and Quincey's contracts are all coming off the books soon, which is nothing short of massive in terms of the flexibility it gives Holland. That will go a long way in convincing Alfie to stick around for one year, if Detroit doesn't win the Stanley Cup in 2014.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guy has 19 pts in 22 games and makes our PP better.

My initial reaction was "No Thanks". But he seems to be in great shape still, if he could stay healthy, I'd definitely welcome him back.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He makes the Red Wings power play go, if he wants to play another year you give him what he wants for that reason alone.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
One of the few old guys on the team pulling his weight and adding to the team. Won't mind if they bring him back. 19 in 22 is good no matter how you slice it.

Houston Red Winger

Jun 1, 2008
Houston
Alfredsson can still skate with some speed, has a nose for the net, is putting up the points on a point-starved team, has a great hockey IQ, plays a Red Wings kind of possession game, makes his line mates play better, is a great role model / leader for the younger speedsters / scorers (Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, etc.) and he seems like a really good person off the ice, too.

Why would we not want him back next year? I really like this Alfredsson guy. :towel:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
RH shot, incredibly smart, good two player, bomb of a one timer, fits the DRW puck possession mold, great locker room leader and mentor, and still very productive. If he keeps up his strong play throughout the season and is willing to come back at a similar cost it's a no brainer IMO.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Alfie has been my favorite non Red Wing the past 8-10 years. If he can stay healthy, I'm happy if he comes back for another year. First class player and first class guy.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
z-dats-alfie/UFA
franzen-bouncedbackweiss-nyquist
abby-helm-jurco/alfie
miller-andy-ferraro
sheahan

kronwall-ericsson
edler-dekeyser
kindl/smith-ouellet

tatar+smith/kindl+ traded for edler

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
z-dats-alfie/UFA
franzen-bouncedbackweiss-nyquist
abby-helm-jurco/alfie
miller-andy-ferraro
sheahan

kronwall-ericsson
edler-dekeyser
kindl/smith-ouellet

tatar+smith/kindl+ traded for edler

Too much to give up for Edler with how he's played of late IMO. Especially since Tatar, Smith and Kuba are all trending up.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Too much to give up for Edler with how he's played of late IMO. Especially since Tatar, Smith and Kuba are all trending up.

Yeah, I only watch a handful of Canucks games a year (usually when they are the late game on CBC) but from what I've read Edler hasn't been good since their cup run in 2011 and has looked especially brutal this year. I definitely wouldn't trade Tatar + someone else for him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i agree he hasn't been great this year but

that's why he's available,

he's still much better than kindl or smith. smith has some upside on him but on kindl, he would be upgrade on every level. kindl, i'm starting to incline more and more on that he's what we see now, mostly. he is regular for sure but hasn't taken a step this year as i hoped.

tatar is sort of expandable. i like him but i would deal him for someone like edler.

i don't see players of edler caliber being available.

i think babs and wings in general would do good for edler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad