Confirmed with Link: Dane Fox traded to Canes for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Surprising they didn't give him a shot in the AHL. It's not like his value could have dropped any lower if he fell on his face. It would have gone from next to nothing to nothing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As a Benning hater, I think this was a good move. Pretty close to a guarantee not to do anything. Even getting a 7th rounder is worth it.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
This is likely just clearing a roster spot to sign a prospect. I don't see Fox as anything special (although I wish we tried him in the A). I'm fine with this. If this is to make room for Stecher and Caggiula I'm happy. Hopefully it's not so we can sign Pettit or some ****.

Good point.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Earns a pretty good salary in the ahl. Wouldn't be opposed to signing him to another two way contract for next season. Good Utica fodder.

Edit: hensick

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
NOOOOO! OMG what will we do! How can they trade away this awesome future player!

Am I doing this right?

Realistically he would never have made the canucks let alone Utica, just didn't have the foot speed. No real loss here.

Once again another pointless Benning move that doesn't help the team is defended by silly hyperbolic straw men. Not going to cripple the franchise? A ok!

In the real world, Fox was having a good year and deserved a shot with the comets. We are putting him for nothing for no good reason because that's what we do.

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
People need to cut the **** talking about his footspeed. He's come a long way this year. He is one of the fastest skaters on his team. Quit using old scout notes on his game.

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Dane Fox was a nothing prospect. No big deal.

Maybe. I doubt the 1 AHL game he got is enough to determine that. It's not like he's a guy that needed to score to be useful. Really, all that was separating him from the AHL was his skating. If it improved, which it supposedly did, then he had other qualities to his game to develop into a Higgins-lite type of player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Given that Fox was clearly never going to get any sort of shot under this regime, getting rid of his contract slot makes this a good move in a vacuum. Hensick for Jones is a small upgrade for Utica also.

That said, the treatment Fox received here was BS and I hope he lights it up in the AHL for Carolina.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
lol watch him be the next Alex Burrows, claw his way from ECHL to top line on an NHl team.

I kid. but it would be hilarious.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He has an intriguing set of skills, at least to the point where you would want to see him get some AHL time.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Throwing away more promising prospects Benning your a genous :facepalm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would have liked to see him get more of a shot in the AHL, but in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal.

Oh, it definitely isn't.

But it feels like a bit of a waste, tossing another prospect away without giving him a chance to see what he could do. I mean, these guys gave Mackenze Stewart a Utica roster spot out of camp, FFS.

Basically the same scenario as Shinkaruk on a smaller level. Previous regime guy completely marginalized and dumped for nothing without being given a chance at all.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
His footspeed has improved, and I have witnessed his shot firsthand.

His shot and the way he uses it alone were enough to give him a chance in the AHL. His ceiling is true sniper, and he has the edge to be physical, agitate and generally do other things for the club.

So this was not a nothing prospect. Just because we mismanaged him doesn't make him a nothing prospect.

Him and Valk not really getting a chance in Utica are some of the few moves that make me leery of Green as a coach despite his good work in Utica.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Let's be real here it was Dane Fox :help:

The guy who has a closet full of drama, criminal issues and baggage. Although he wasn't given a real look with the Comets the guy just can't skate at the next level. He was traded for a guy who equally won't make the NHL but at least is a stud at the AHL level. Made the Comets better now without losing, or gaining anything. Depth move if I had to judge would be a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad