Confirmed with Link: Dane Fox traded to Canes for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Judging by today's lines, it's probably Horvat.

Gaunce first...he isn't fast enough and Jim likes him some fast skating, exciting looking players. Need not matter if they are good or not. Just rattle the boards a bit or try to skate end to end and you will make the boss happy.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Let's be real here it was Dane Fox :help:

The guy who has a closet full of drama, criminal issues and baggage. Although he wasn't given a real look with the Comets the guy just can't skate at the next level. He was traded for a guy who equally won't make the NHL but at least is a stud at the AHL level. Made the Comets better now without losing, or gaining anything. Depth move if I had to judge would be a win.

No. Moving fox has nothing to do with Hensick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Let's be real here it was Dane Fox :help:

The guy who has a closet full of drama, criminal issues and baggage. Although he wasn't given a real look with the Comets the guy just can't skate at the next level. He was traded for a guy who equally won't make the NHL but at least is a stud at the AHL level. Made the Comets better now without losing, or gaining anything. Depth move if I had to judge would be a win.

Fox obviously had major issues when he was 17 but he's 22 and there hasn't been a whiff of anything negative in 5 years. Zero to indicate anything that he's been anything other than an above-board, hard-working pro and has turned his life around.

But yeah, I agree his fate was sealed with these guys because of his past. Doesn't fit the Benning/Weisbrod 'cult' and got the Seguin/Kassian treatment.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah so Subban is not long for this Canucks world.

Honestly I think losing Gaunce isn't a big deal if they could get an equivalent prospect with a different skillset ..... HAHAHAH WHO AM I KIDDING HERE?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It isn't a big deal of course as Fox likely doesn't get a sniff at the NHL. However, it is still so very, very odd that a team that is being re-tooled with youth or re-built or whatever is so very flippant about the young players in the system. I don't get it. They should be keeping and stockpiling prospects and picks right now and if at the end of it you actually have "too many" then start moving them to address organizational holes.

Fox is a leading ECHL scorer, you'd think an extended look at the AHL level would be warranted.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Yeah so Subban is not long for this Canucks world.

Honestly I think losing Gaunce isn't a big deal if they could get an equivalent prospect with a different skillset ..... HAHAHAH WHO AM I KIDDING HERE?

Gaunce to Calgary for Jankowski it is.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Why does Dane Fox suddenly become a "thing" here when they get rid of him? Kid can't skate.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why does Dane Fox suddenly become a "thing" here when they get rid of him? Kid can't skate.

1) there's more to hockey than just skating.

2) from the sounds of things, he's greatly improved his skating to the point where he was winning fastest skater competitions this year.

3) he was never given a chance so we knew what we had.

Nobody is heartbroken over this and it's a very minor deal ... but it's symptomatic of other decision-making issues we see happening with this team.

Again, this is a team that handed Mackenze Stewart (3 goals in 31 games in the WHL right now) an AHL roster spot out of camp, but couldn't find room to give one of the best scorers in the ECHL even a whiff of a chance. If he'd been given a even a 15-20 game run in the AHL with decent icetime and hadn't produced, nobody would care. But they didn't.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Even Benning supports these arguments:

While many of the usual suspects impressed Vancouver Canucks management, general manager Jim Benning liked what he saw of Fox.

"Dane really made a commitment off the ice this year to get in really good shape," said Benning. "He's always had good hands and good release on his shot. Now I think because he's gotten in better shape, his skating has gotten better. You see him more involved in the play. Using his hands and his shot."

Seriously, his release is sick. He can get the puck off from weird angles and quickly. Considering some of the depth problems in Utica I can't believe he didn't get 10 games. Hell, Stewart got 4 and he's a total project.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
1) there's more to hockey than just skating.

2) from the sounds of things, he's greatly improved his skating to the point where he was winning fastest skater competitions this year.

3) he was never given a chance so we knew what we had.

Nobody is heartbroken over this and it's a very minor deal ... but it's symptomatic of other decision-making issues we see happening with this team.

Again, this is a team that handed Mackenze Stewart (3 goals in 31 games in the WHL right now) an AHL roster spot out of camp, but couldn't find room to give one of the best scorers in the ECHL even a whiff of a chance. If he'd been given a even a 15-20 game run in the AHL with decent icetime and hadn't produced, nobody would care. But they didn't.

Actually I am kind of heartbroken, been following him since we signed him. Of that UBC camp I was really high on Shinkaruk, Horvat, Subban and Fox.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Apparently his skating has improved. How much? I don't know since I don't actively follow the ECHL but he has enough tools and has enough production to have warranted a longer look in Utica.

What's the point of owning your AHL team if you can't give the time for some of these long shot prospects. They gave Stewart a lengthy tryout despite being awful the pro and amateur level. If Fox had gotten a real look and didn't impres then whatever.

In the end it doesn't really matter but I find it insane that he was not given a look longer than a game or two and some practices.

I'm more annoyed by how we handled Fox than the fact that we dealt him.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
**** trade. Fox was never given the proper opportunity. Benning has now traded the top two point getters for Utica and Kalamazoo. Good job...now I have to change my avatar.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Even if you feel Dane Fox deserves more of a chance, isn't that more on Travis Green?

Or does Linden/Benning call down to the AHL and block Fox from playing there?

The narrative that current management is simply chucking out prospects/player from previous management is faulty.

- Current management were high on Horvat the second they arrived.

- Ben Hutton (another Gillis pick) who just graduated from college made the team straight out of camp.

- Gaunce just recently called up.

the board is getting unbearable with over the top reaction to any moves by current management.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Fox was traded for future considerations. Period

Blair Jones and Hensick were swapped, both on loans.

Hensick is an improvement for the Comets and Jones has been injury bitten for the past couple months.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hell, Stewart got 4 and he's a total project.

Project is overselling Stewart. He's a last story of the night on the 6 o'clock news type thing...not a pro hockey player. A feel good story. He's likely a great kid who battled through adversity but he's not an upper level pro player. He's a CentralHL/ECHL guy....and even that might be generous.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Can we, like, agree that this will be a notable transaction, maybe even skating improvement analysis worthy, if Fox ever gets into an NHL game and sticks for more than half a dozen?

I'll say much the same when Subban's turn is up. :D

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Even if you feel Dane Fox deserves more of a chance, isn't that more on Travis Green?

The narrative that current management is simply chucking out prospects/player from previous management is faulty.

- Ben Hutton (another Gillis pick) who just graduated from college made the team straight out of camp.

the board is getting unbearable with over the top reaction to any moves by current management.

You think Travis Green was on board with playing Stewart? I'm sure Green has a ton of authority down there and I think he's partially to blame for not giving Fox a shot but Benning could have easily out Fox on Utica if he wanted to.

He did everything you could ask for down in the ECHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Charlotte is on the bubble and apparently thought that Jones along with Fox will give them a better chance. Benning held out for the Hensick deal in order to surrender Fox. It improves the Comets and Charlotte feels improved as well. Both teams happy with the deal

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Yeah because Green who is by all accounts a pretty good coach really wanted to play Stewart for four games.

I personally don't think so.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

You have a leading ECHL scorer and just traded your leading AHL scorer...you'd think you'd give the ECHL guy a shot. Might be on Green but in the end the canucks own and run the Comets.

Are they targetting previous regime players? Honestly in some case I do think they are or rather the new regime players get FAR more rope than the previous regime.

But no one is over reacting. I think most are just confused. This organization needs more prospects not less so these types of things are just confusing and run counter to where most think the team should go.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
This organization needs more prospects not less so these types of things are just confusing and run counter to where most think the team should go.

It's not just that they need more prospects, they need more prospects that can boom. Dane Fox is an extremely long shot but the upside of developing someone like that is infinitely greater than wasting money, contract slots & roster space on a guy like Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad