Dan Hamhuis - Will test FA; "We're still working through things, so we'll see"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So a lot less accountability on Hammer for his game? He gets a pass for his turnovers issues and poor decisions and play because of the team/partner around him. [MOD]

He's earned that right/privilege for one "mulligan season' especially for those circumstances.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
So a lot less accountability on Hammer for his game? He gets a pass for his turnovers issues and poor decisions and play because of the team/partner around him. [MOD]

Who cares? Several teams were interested in trading assets for him at the deadline and Benning blew it. That's all that matters.

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Another factor people are neglecting: Ben Hutton. He single-handedly pushed Hamhuis to the third pairing. So not only would we be asking him to sign for less than he'll probably get on the market, he'll be getting third pairing minutes. I can't say I'm surprised Hamhuis is exploring his options.

And we're one injury away from having Pizza in our top 4 again

Can you imagine a Sbisa-Gudbranson pairing?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Obviously GM's didn't wish to spend assets to grant him one.
Other GM's did wish to spend assets to acquire him; Benning just didn't like what was offered. If a player isn't in your long-term plans/don't plan on re-signing him - one should get what you can for him.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
This makes little sense to me. I'm sure he could have been moved for something at the deadline. SO if we were not going to trade him, we must be ready to resign him right? Nah... lets lose him for absolutely nothing. We don't need picks.

If Hutton pushed Hamhuis down the depth chart, the fact management couldn't make this decision before the trade deadline is laughable. Our asset management is brutal.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Other GM's did wish to spend assets to acquire him; Benning just didn't like what was offered. If a player isn't in your long-term plans/don't plan on re-signing him - one should get what you can for him.

Playoffs were a lost cause when edler and Sutter were lost in the Colorado game. That was about 3 weeks prior to the TDL. How JB couldn't have come to that realization within minutes of the conclusion of that game is beyond all of us.

You go to DH and say, you know without those two playoffs will be a challenge, so I need to know if you will waive the ntc and where you would like to go if you do. Please give me your list in X number of days.

From what I can see it is going to be several years of mediocrity. This group doesn't ha e the conviction to do a proper rebuild and take on the challenges that go along with that. Doing enough to not be terrible, but due to a lack of talent and cap space, not good enough to challenge for the cup.

Hey seem to be prepared to hand out 5/6 year contracts to ufas where they will regret the final 2 years of those deals where the payoff from the first half of the contract won't net them a significant benefit. Those deals will become the new burrows contract, but at a higher cap hit.

Kopitar might not be great in his final 2 years of his 8 year deal, but LA is confident that for the first 5-6 years he'll be good and they will compete for the cup. What will vancouver get from handing out those long term big dollar deals to this crop of Ufa?

By buying out Higgins and burrows shortly, there will be no further cap space freed up after this season. Miller and markstrom combine for $7.5 million, but if they hope markstrom becomes a number one, then you can look to the Talbot contact as a comparable at $4.2 million per season. Get a veteran backup for a year and total goaltending costs drop to $5.5.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, I don't like weekends where the team gets hit with tampering charges simply because our gm is too stupid to know better than to keep his idiot mouth shut about other team's players on camera, we leave better players on the draft table after every pick, and our biggest possible asset to move at the deadline is now walking for nothing. Just slightly pissed off at the idiots running the team at the moment and their apologists who couldn't recognize good hockey players or competent executives if they walked up and bit them on the ass.

:handclap:

I hope that felt as good for you as it did for me.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Wait, so there's actually people out here defending the absolute incompetence of this regime?

Really?

Can someone point them out because I would love to win an easy argument today.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
As for revisionist...you're telling me Hamhuis had no value at the deadline? He'd been playing his best hockey in years since coming back from his injury, but I'd guess you'd need to watch the games to know that.

We were hoping GM's would ignore his injury, the fact he wasnt 100% healthy, and his season-to-date for those 7-8 solid pre-TDL games and memories of past season play.

The Hamhuis trade possibility died the day he got injured. As posted at the time he got hurt.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
We were hoping GM's would ignore his injury, the fact he wasnt 100% healthy, and his season-to-date for those 7-8 solid pre-TDL games and memories of past season play.

The Hamhuis trade possibility died the day he got injured. As posted at the time he got hurt.

Are you really going to pretend that teams weren't interested in acquiring him at the deadline? Is that what it takes these days to justify management's moves?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
ya know, I defended benning for a while, I understand the moves he made will not please everyone, its impossible, being a GM is not easy, but this is ridiculous if we lose him for nothing. I will not forgive him for this blunder.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really no shock here....with the arrival of Gudbranson and the decision to pair him with Hutton, Hamhuis would at best be a No. 5 or even a six since Sbisa is younger...and of course Tryamkin is the wild-card....Hammer could do reasonably well in free-agency...somebody like the Oilers or the Leafs will overpay for a veteran d-man...and at least that dreaded second-unit pp of Hamhuis and Tanev on the points that Willie used to throw out there like groundhog day will finally be broken up....hallelujah!:handclap:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Are you really going to pretend that teams weren't interested in acquiring him at the deadline? Is that what it takes these days to justify management's moves?

I assume they were.

What's the limit tho...
Should we of been in a trade at all costs type situation?
Would you trade Hamhuis for a 7th..
Don't think GM'S do that.
Can you point to other trades that have occurred at a TDL where you were like 'OMG, That's it?'

Love how sure everyone is about all these good value deals Benning passed up on.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Makes the TDL much worse by letting him walk. Why would a 28th place team hold on to ufas ???

Because these sad people believed that there was a remote chance we could still make the playoffs. Just ridiculous.

If there was any competence in the office, we would have got something, anything for Hamhuis and Vrbata.

Hamhuis is the steady type of Dman that is valuable to a team thinking they have a real run at the cup. Vrbata is the sort who could light it up in the playoffs, be a surprise. They both should have had some value.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
ya know, I defended benning for a while, I understand the moves he made will not please everyone, its impossible, being a GM is not easy, but this is ridiculous if we lose him for nothing. I will not forgive him for this blunder.

Out of all the different transactions you could of choosen to draw that line in sand over... you choose this?
Ha ha ha..
Weird.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
From what was said
They are targeting some pricy fa scoring forwards...Stamkos..Eriksson possibly Lucci....maybe a subban if avaliable
All expensive cap hits
If unable to get their target they may double back to hamhuis if still available
Probably not beat money for hamhuis at that stage from us

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Makes the TDL much worse by letting him walk. Why would a 28th place team hold on to ufas ???

Yessiree....Linden and Jimbo claimed they were going to try and re-coup some picks after the Florida deal, but of course you knew they would never actually be able to do it...meantime UFA's Hamhuis and Vrbata walk for nothing, because even accepting a later round draft pick was deemed to be too 'insulting' at the time...what an absolute waste of assets for a 28th place team.:shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Really no shock here....with the arrival of Gudbranson and the decision to pair him with Hutton, Hamhuis would at best be a No. 5 or even a six since Sbisa is younger...and of course Tryamkin is the wild-card....Hammer could do reasonably well in free-agency...somebody like the Oilers or the Leafs will overpay for a veteran d-man...and at least that dreaded second-unit pp of Hamhuis and Tanev on the points that Willie used to throw out there like groundhog day will finally be broken up....hallelujah!:handclap:

Be careful what you wish for because somehow Willie will find a way to ice Sbisa-gudbranson on the. PP instead :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad