Dan Girardi Appreciation thread

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's funny to think back to the type of dman G was before Torts turned him into a shot-blocking machine. He's easily one of the most likable personalities we've had in the last 20 years, and I always respected how willing he was to sacrifice his own body to help the team win.

Best of luck, G!

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Heart and sole blood sweat and tears hockey player. Gave up his body for us and was a HUGE part of the teams runs. Great Ranger that the millennial didn’t appreciate

Reactions: DekeR and ohbaby

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
It's hard to find the right words. The only thing that comes to mind is a begrudging wrestling handshake so here's a gif of one:

8ac969878eec672e9f96a2f36066d0f8fe2d51dc_hq.gif

So Chris Benoit is the one offering the handshake ergo you are equating yourself with Chris Benoit eh... :sarcasm:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The G-man will always be in the hearts of us Rangers fans. He is a stark reminder of why we were so good for so long defensively as a team. Our G-man, the NHL's all time leader in blocked shots,.. personified what it meant to be a NY Ranger.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A great career. He truly defined what it was to be New York Ranger! All the best to him in retirement.
Hah. True. Some characteristics of a "true Ranger". Take beatings, get mocked a lot even by your "fans", light on talent, over achieve but not to the point of Champion, More bruises and breaks than teeth.

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
The G-man will always be in the hearts of us Rangers fans. He is a stark reminder of why we were so good for so long defensively as a team. Our G-man, the NHL's all time leader in blocked shots,.. personified what it meant to be a NY Ranger.

One of the best memories I have of G was a game against the Hurricanes. It wasn't a memory of him blocking shots or laying down a big hit.

It was from a game where people behind the bench were roasting G all night long. Then he goes on PK, helps kill it and goes for a change. He attempted to anyway, but coaches waved him back to the ice, so he stayed. His partner was allowed to change for one of our offensive dmen to start a counter. Badly timed change...Rangers got hemmed in and eventually gave up a goal. Danny G. slowly skated back to the bench toward variations of "G sucks" chants, right after being double shifted.

That is how I will always remember G. Heavily relied on by his peers and though he was heavily excoriated, he always did his job without complaint. A great Ranger.

The Rangers did pull out a come back win that night.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think he was a much better player before he got addicted to pain from shot blocking. Scored 10 goals in his first full season and only 7 minor penalties in 82 games.

Reactions: Sockosensei

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
He did very well for an undrafted guy who was denied entry to the US at the start of his pro career.

Considering his lack of foot speed, he was very good at staying out of the box and/or hurting the team with dumb penalties.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
What he lacked for in skill sets he made up for in aces was his blood and guts approach to the game. Considering how many D men actually play in the NHL on any given night 190-210 and how many D men in all countries want to play in the NHL. Going undrafted and actually playing 13 seasons is a huge accomplishment. Only a few players will accomplish that every decade. Hell of a career G.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
One of the members of the Bluebloods era. Every hockey player should conduct himself like Dan Girardi.

What else is there to say about him that hasn't been said? Every up-and-comer who dreams of being undrafted also wishes to be him some day.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Dan Girardi: An open letter to New York Rangers fans

Everyone talks about the New York fans. You’re hard on us, but when we are winning — and going to the Cup final (in 2014) — it was the coolest thing I’ve been a part of. Walking around the city, you’ve got the guy on the horse and buggy, he’s saying, “Good luck, guys!” and “Come on Girardi, let’s go get ’em!” People you don’t even think would know what hockey was are cheering you on. New York is one of the best cities in the world, and to be able to call it home for 11 years was pretty special to me.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Hasn't really sunk in that both Cally and Girardi are retired. Two of my all time favorite players, I desperately wanted to see both of them win a cup before it was over.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hasn't really sunk in that both Cally and Girardi are retired. Two of my all time favorite players, I desperately wanted to see both of them win a cup before it was over.

Met those two last month together. They were with their wives over in Orlando. Had a nice conversation with them. Really class act guys. Really miss them playing. Were both warriors on the ice and leaders

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad