Dan Girardi Appreciation thread

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He was a major part of a team that had a good 6-7 seasons of passionate, fun, and heart breaking hockey. It was always memorable. Some amazing playoff series. The Ottawa bloodbath, a 7 game slugfest with the Caps in what seemed like every year, the cup run, 2 ECF runs. Unbelievable comebacks. Tons of beers and playoff games.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He was a major part of a team that had a good 6-7 seasons of passionate, fun, and heart breaking hockey. It was always memorable. Some amazing playoff series. The Ottawa bloodbath, a 7 game slugfest with the Caps in what seemed like every year, the cup run, 2 ECF runs. Unbelievable comebacks. Tons of beers and playoff games.

i hope Girardi won't be remembered for this

but for this..

Dan Girardi's skate save on the goal line to save a goal Game 3

Dan Girardi goal. NY Rangers vs New Jersey Devils Game 3 5/19/12 NHL Hockey

Dan GIrardi Goal Game 7 Rangers Sens

Dan Girardi Goal Game 3 ECF

Reactions: JimmyG89

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
How appropriate that after scoring, they played Iron Man.

If there was a moment that stands out the most, it was in that video they put out.

Big hit on Mike Green right before the Marc Staal OT winner. That's the moment you don't forget

I hope Rangers bring back Girardi in the organization sooner rather than later. he deserves this. one of the best undrafted players of his era.

Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Regardless of your feelings on his actual skill on-ice, he was definitely a true warrior out there and it's especially impressive that he had the career he did as an undrafted guy.

For that, I respect him.

Also, damn him for having those eyes and chin...

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Probably my favorite Ranger of this generation. It was always fun seeing him exceed expectations up to becoming an All Star.

Pass. We have enough former players in the organization.

I'm pretty sure it's an explicit investment in team culture– maybe you can make a little more somewhere else, but the Rangers take care of their former players.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
i really hope he comes back to NYR in some form, scout, defensive coach, prospect development for defenseman etc.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I get the feeling he will be a mainstay in the standard alumni events..

I think most fans view him as the ultimate team guy. The shot blocks, the hits, the defense on ice and of his teammates..

so when is the next alumni event or retirement jersey for a past player? I doubt his number gets retired but for an undrafted free agent, he had a great career. almost 1000 games. not many that get drafted, even do half as many games as that.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
so when is the next alumni event or retirement jersey for a past player? I doubt his number gets retired but for an undrafted free agent, he had a great career. almost 1000 games. not many that get drafted, even do half as many games as that.

They usually have a bunch for opening night I think

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I was a big fan of his from the beginning...

...but I think I was also driven to be a bigger fan of his by all the absurd hate he got on here just as a contrarian reaction.

It was a little reversed for me.

I started as a big fan. He was an easy player to like: he worked his way up as an undrafted free agent from the ECHL to the NHL, was a warrior on the ice, seemed like a great teammate and his willingness to simply get the puck out of the zone was a breathe of fresh air after watching years of Dmen fumbling about and forcing stuff that wasn't there.

...but I think I was also driven to be a bigger detractor of his by all the absurd love the got on here (in the later, rougher part of his career) just as a contrarian reaction.

But none of that matters much now. A hell of a career for someone who seems like a hell of a guy. Best of luck DG!

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Thank you for all that you have done for this team G. His career best summed up by a picture just look at my avatar. He came out of nowhere but has most certainly most left his mark on most of us here. Amen.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Great career, he got overpaid on his last contract year that led to his buyout, but prior to that he had one of the best contracts in the league. Top 4 dman locked up long term at like 3.3mil or something at the time was insane.

I felt his style of play was due to the Renney/Tortorella style of play, but he still continued the same style with AV.

I'm feeling old now, I remember his rookie season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Great career, he got overpaid on his last contract year that led to his buyout, but prior to that he had one of the best contracts in the league. Top 4 dman locked up long term at like 3.3mil or something at the time was insane.

I felt his style of play was due to the Renney/Tortorella style of play, but he still continued the same style with AV.

I'm feeling old now, I remember his rookie season.
Just a few months into his career the Rangers swept the Thrashers. The Rangers have swept two series in his lifetime.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad