Dan Girardi Appreciation thread

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Say what you will about his abilities during the end of his tenure here (and I’ve said plenty in my day), no one should try to deny the impact he had on this team as a person.

Great career for an undrafted guy that worked his way to the top.

That is precisely why I have such little respect for those who said some downright awful things about Girardi.

Deleted member 23124

The ONE thing you can say about DG is that he came to work prepared to play every night -- even when his body was saying "NO!!!". You can't ask for a more dedicated trooper.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's hard to find the right words. The only thing that comes to mind is a begrudging wrestling handshake so here's a gif of one:

8ac969878eec672e9f96a2f36066d0f8fe2d51dc_hq.gif

Reactions: Thirty One

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It's hard to find the right words. The only thing that comes to mind is a begrudging wrestling handshake so here's a gif of one:

8ac969878eec672e9f96a2f36066d0f8fe2d51dc_hq.gif

Serious question for you. Was Girardi ever a valuable or good player at any point in his career?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Can see him in the organization in some capacity by the end of the month.

I definitely think there's a job waiting for him in the organization should he want it. Probably one of the hardest blue-collar working Rangers that have played for the team since i started watching
jinx

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
My favorite NYR of the post 2005 era. I am proud to say that the only NYR jersey I have is a Girardi jersey. He did everything that was asked of him every single day of his career. A tremendous player, a great Ranger and more importantly an even better person.

CONGRATULATIONS on a great career!

Reactions: mrhockey193195

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
One of my all time favorite players. Thrilled for him and his career, but just wish he could have won a cup with us or in Tampa. Say what you want about Dan not being a "modern" player, but what translates across any era is his dedication, his work ethic, his leadership, and his toughness. There are so many elements to his game and his mindset that you'd want your kids to emulate.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Reposting my comments from the day Dan was bought out by the Rangers.

A very sad day for me. When Dan first came up as an underdog, he immediately gained my attention. Hard worker, effective leader and a Cinderella story that will warm your heart.

I've never been one to have a "favorite" player, but in recent years Dan was the closest for me. Maybe it was because my late son was named Gerard and we called him Gerardy. More likely it was his hard work, no frills game. I've always prided myself on my blue collar work ethic and I felt that Dan best embodied that on the Ranger teams of the last decade.

He was also a good guy. Once told me I was the first fan he ever saw wearing his number.

The decision today was proper and appropriate. The game has changed and as Dan's body wore down, the demands of his position changed. Playing AV's system from day one was a challenge for him. He suffered more than his share of injuries, many of which I imagine we never knew about.

Back when I worked in hockey I learned never to fall in love with a player. The team is what is most important. And while I privately hoped the Rangers would move on from Staal and keep Girardi for another season, this decision cannot be debated. I don't need analytics (yuk) to understand when changes are necessary.

For the haters here, I hope you take a moment to understand that the Rangers have had a tremendous run for the last decade and Girardi has been one of the most important contributors. You can't win the Stanley Cup every year. This team has given us a lot of thrills and sadly, just missed the brass ring. Dan Girardi's contributions to the Rangers were long and noteworthy. He has had a great career in New York and I for one am so sorry to see him go.

You done good Dan, you done good.

And at the end of the day, Father Time once again continued undefeated.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Reposting my comments from the day Dan was bought out by the Rangers.

A very sad day for me. When Dan first came up as an underdog, he immediately gained my attention. Hard worker, effective leader and a Cinderella story that will warm your heart.

I've never been one to have a "favorite" player, but in recent years Dan was the closest for me. Maybe it was because my late son was named Gerard and we called him Gerardy. More likely it was his hard work, no frills game. I've always prided myself on my blue collar work ethic and I felt that Dan best embodied that on the Ranger teams of the last decade.

He was also a good guy. Once told me I was the first fan he ever saw wearing his number.

The decision today was proper and appropriate. The game has changed and as Dan's body wore down, the demands of his position changed. Playing AV's system from day one was a challenge for him. He suffered more than his share of injuries, many of which I imagine we never knew about.

Back when I worked in hockey I learned never to fall in love with a player. The team is what is most important. And while I privately hoped the Rangers would move on from Staal and keep Girardi for another season, this decision cannot be debated. I don't need analytics (yuk) to understand when changes are necessary.

For the haters here, I hope you take a moment to understand that the Rangers have had a tremendous run for the last decade and Girardi has been one of the most important contributors. You can't win the Stanley Cup every year. This team has given us a lot of thrills and sadly, just missed the brass ring. Dan Girardi's contributions to the Rangers were long and noteworthy. He has had a great career in New York and I for one am so sorry to see him go.

You done good Dan, you done good.

And at the end of the day, Father Time once again continued undefeated.
Reported for plagiarism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad