Dan Girardi Appreciation Thread

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm kind of thinking that without Girardi and Klein AV goes back to a full on man on man kind of defense structure. No more of the zone stuff that the slower D had so much problem with.

If Girardi does sign with another team a lot could depend on what kind of defensive structure that team has. One team I'd wonder about is the Bluejackets--how he'd fit in there with Torts his old coach.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Dan Girardi the Iron Man of the New York Rangers.

Best of luck wherever you go Dan, you were a strong part of this team for the best part of a career.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
The very definition of a warrior. In his entire Rangers career, he only missed a couple of games... which is mindblowing, especially considering what Dan put his body through on a daily basis in service of the Rangers.

All the best in the future :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm no fan of Larry Brooks but he wrote a good article about how great Dan was for our franchise.

How’s this to put a wrap on Girardi’s career as a Ranger? He broke two ribs in Game 3 against Montreal and another one early in the Ottawa series. And played on. Of course he did. He played with a right ankle twice its normal size after wearing some sort of vacuum device on it for weeks so he could get on the ice after sustaining a gruesome wound blocking a shot. Of course he did.

I happened to take notice of it as he walked very slowly to the shower in Ottawa after the crushing Game 5 overtime defeat. “That’s your ankle?” I said aloud in wonderment, as much to myself as to Girardi. He merely shrugged.
Dan Girardi’s family watches him warm up against the Canadiens in April.Getty Images

All right. The contract. The six-year, $33 million deal that in some quarters overwhelmed the narrative the past couple of seasons. Remember, Girardi was a pending free agent as the 2014 trade deadline approached. The Rangers, who had designs on winning the Stanley Cup and had no interest in a rebuild, were about to trade Ryan Callahan, also a pending free agent, after negotiations with him broke down.

There is not a team extant under those circumstances that would not have signed Girardi to that extension. I believe that. That year, the Rangers went to the Stanley Cup final. The next year, they won the Presidents’ Trophy and went to Game 7 of the conference final, through which Girardi played with a Grade 1 MCL sprain. Of course he did.
https://nypost.com/2017/06/18/why-dan-girardi-always-will-be-considered-rangers-royalty/

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
For 82 games you never knew what you got as far as result. You always knew what you would get in effort. He was the cause of most regular season goals Hank never saw (thru G's big screening ass).

When the playoffs hit, he's still one of the best defenseman in the world to play the money game. He guards the net and allows the goalie to do his thing when the game is tight. Takes punishment like few others.

Bad ****ing move, they bought out the wrong guy. Again, why wouldn't they continue tradition of shipping out money players after they looked better than most of the postseason lame duck failures that made up the rest of the team? Every year as far back as I can remember. Surprised Kreider is still a Ranger after he was one of the few worth a **** in that last game.

GRABNER! Grabner is totally next to go, especially after he showed he moved his legs when we were trying to come back. 80% of the team had the best seat in the goddamn house. Keep them though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad