Dan Girardi Appreciation Thread

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Thank you Dan for giving everything you had to the Rangers! You were class on the ice and are a gentlemen off. Good luck to you and your family!!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty upset, not as upset and angry when Callahan got traded. But knew this was coming sooner than later. Anyway, I am sure he will land a gig some place, if he is making a small contract playing a bottom pairing he will be def worth the contract. He still has plenty of hockey left in him, and maybe a reduced role may be good for him. Anyway good luck to G. That 2011-12 team is slowly disappearing. Still think they were better than the ones who went to the SCF in 2014. Maybe not better in talent but had more heart and were just fun to watch.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Danny, may the splinters point away from you as you slide down the bannister of life. Given you a lot of rack the last 2 years but that not diminish your term and service for the greatest club ever!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he was great ranger, not a legend, but a long time staple of the team and the backline, like Neilson or Seiling or Beuk

even as he struggled some these last few years, i appreciated his effort and commitment

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Here is the quintessential Dan Girardi moment, coming near the end of the 2013-14 regular season just before the Rangers went on a run to the Stanley Cup final:

After a practice in Tarrytown, Girardi took off his skate and his ankle was about the size of a grapefruit. A reporter looked down and asked what was wrong, the ankle being incompatible with the fact that the defenseman had not missed a game seemingly in forever.

“Oh,” Girardi said with a shrug as he limped away, “that’s just my ankle.”
https://nypost.com/2017/06/14/an-old-school-warriors-time-is-over-and-so-is-a-rangers-era/

mti79

May 11, 2007
This was a move the rangers had to make and I'm pretty sure a vast majority of the board is ok/happy about it. I understand the logic behind it but can't help but feel a little upset. I bought his jersey his rookie year (actually ordered it with the number 46 and was able to get it switchedto 5). The guy was an absolute warrior for the rangers and did everything asked of him and more. I feel he deserved a better ending to his ranger career but it wasn't too be. Good luck Danny.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The guy has had a great career based on heart and effort. He may not have been worth the contract that eventually got him bought out, but he earned his money for sure. If the terms had been different, I'd have much rather had G stay and Staal go.

Hope it all works out for him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think he must be more injured than he has let on. I thought he still has some good hockey in him and would have been happy for him to return.
Maybe he just can't go any more.
Anyhow, a great Ranger and one of my favorite ever. Maybe number one. I wish him a great future.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Pretty upset, not as upset and angry when Callahan got traded. But knew this was coming sooner than later. Anyway, I am sure he will land a gig some place, if he is making a small contract playing a bottom pairing he will be def worth the contract. He still has plenty of hockey left in him, and maybe a reduced role may be good for him. Anyway good luck to G. That 2011-12 team is slowly disappearing. Still think they were better than the ones who went to the SCF in 2014. Maybe not better in talent but had more heart and were just fun to watch.

You were upset when Callahan was traded???1

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A very sad day for me. When Dan first came up as an underdog, he immediately gained my attention. Hard worker, effective leader and a Cinderella story that will warm your heart.

I've never been one to have a "favorite" player, but in recent years Dan was the closest for me. Maybe it was because my late son was named Gerard and we called him Gerardy. More likely it was his hard work, no frills game. I've always prided myself on my blue collar work ethic and I felt that Dan best embodied that on the Ranger teams of the last decade.

He was also a good guy. Once told me I was the first fan he ever saw wearing his number.

The decision today was proper and appropriate. The game has changed and as Dan's body wore down, the demands of his position changed. Playing AV's system from day one was a challenge for him. He suffered more than his share of injuries, many of which I imagine we never knew about.

Back when I worked in hockey I learned never to fall in love with a player. The team is what is most important. And while I privately hoped the Rangers would move on from Staal and keep Girardi for another season, this decision cannot be debated. I don't need analytics (yuk) to understand when changes are necessary.

For the haters here, I hope you take a moment to understand that the Rangers have had a tremendous run for the last decade and Girardi has been one of the most important contributors. You can't win the Stanley Cup every year. This team has given us a lot of thrills and sadly, just missed the brass ring. Dan Girardi's contributions to the Rangers were long and noteworthy. He has had a great career in New York and I for one am so sorry to see him go.

You done good Dan, you done good.

And at the end of the day, Father Time once again continued undefeated.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
this is SUCH a good read...

The only certainty and comfort I can find is in Dan Girardi himself. Most undrafted players who make it to the NHL fit the mold of Torey Krug or Martin St. Louis, who were gifted but simply overlooked because of size. Or, they’re physical grinders who fill up the back of a roster, like Cody McLeod or J.T. Brown.

But Dan Girardi was neither of those. He had no discernible physical gifts - be it size, skating ability, puck poise, or something else - that made him a late bloomer. He simply willed himself from an overage OHL year, to the ECHL, to the AHL, to a cup of coffee in the NHL, and finally a legitimate half decade as a top-four defenseman on a good team. He was a universal favorite among teammates, coaches, the beat writers who covered him, and the fans. In a city that is a Venus flytrap for drama, not a single remotely unsettling quote or bit of news was associated with him for the entire 11 years he was here. He was a revelation on HBO’s 24/7. He gave his all on the ice, playing 20+ minutes for months on end through injuries that would have put any other sane human on bed rest. He was accountable to himself, self-aware when he struggled and never once even publicly alluded to frustration with the fanbase or his teammates no matter how much the walls of judgment caved in on him.
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/6/15/15806358/coming-to-terms-with-dan-girardis-tenure

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Great Ranger. Too bad his ability to play fell off the cliff the past two years. But he is still one of the greater Rangers in the past 25 years. Only the Corsi disciples seem to truly detest him.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
A very sad day for me. When Dan first came up as an underdog, he immediately gained my attention. Hard worker, effective leader and a Cinderella story that will warm your heart.

I've never been one to have a "favorite" player, but in recent years Dan was the closest for me. Maybe it was because my late son was named Gerard and we called him Gerardy. More likely it was his hard work, no frills game. I've always prided myself on my blue collar work ethic and I felt that Dan best embodied that on the Ranger teams of the last decade.

He was also a good guy. Once told me I was the first fan he ever saw wearing his number.

The decision today was proper and appropriate. The game has changed and as Dan's body wore down, the demands of his position changed. Playing AV's system from day one was a challenge for him. He suffered more than his share of injuries, many of which I imagine we never knew about.

Back when I worked in hockey I learned never to fall in love with a player. The team is what is most important. And while I privately hoped the Rangers would move on from Staal and keep Girardi for another season, this decision cannot be debated. I don't need analytics (yuk) to understand when changes are necessary.

For the haters here, I hope you take a moment to understand that the Rangers have had a tremendous run for the last decade and Girardi has been one of the most important contributors. You can't win the Stanley Cup every year. This team has given us a lot of thrills and sadly, just missed the brass ring. Dan Girardi's contributions to the Rangers were long and noteworthy. He has had a great career in New York and I for one am so sorry to see him go.

Two great reads :handclap:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Fantastic post.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
ironic this happens just after Sid's 3d Cup

Girardi was brought to London mid-season, with the 2005 Memorial Cup in mind, and helped London beat Sid's Rimouski team in the Final

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/7738/2005_memorial_cup_recap/
"Crosby couldn’t get going as he faced relentless checking from Dylan Hunter (BUF), Brandon Prust (CAL) and Trevor Kell (CHI) and usually Methot and Girardi on defense. "

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think I altogether agree on Herman's article on Girardi. I don't think he gave us 4 and a half bad seasons. I think 15-16 wasn't a good year for him but he bounced back a bit last year. His contract was the main issue. $5.5 mil per for what he brought wasn't good enough. There's a point where the game passes you by and Girardi was struggling not only with injuries but the pace. AV too slow to react to that. Girarid at 17 minutes a game would be much better than Girardi at 20-22. AV should nat have played him when he was banged up so much in 15-16 but still he was not worth $5.5.

I liked Girardi a lot. I defended him quite often here. One player does not define a team though. It was time to move on and tha meant that t this summer one of Staal/Girardi had to go. I'd have preferred keeping Girardi because in my mind Staal has declined even more. Rooting for a team comes with some painful moments though. It's not just Staal and Girardi but you're looking at other older players like Nash and Lundqvist. There's only so much shelf life for any player. We're going to be talking about others in the next year or two and posters here should prepare for that. I will again assert that whoever is the Rangers backup goalie should play more and maybe even the odd playoff game. Henrik will be 35 next year. There are signs of decline there too. IMO he cannot on his own as the only goalie take us through 4 playoff series. He can go maybe for a series or so but the backup is going to have to help him.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Danny G you will be missed brother. Never forget how you stepped in and made an immediate impact. Was part of the culture change that brought NYR out of the dark ages. Injected youth and toughness on the back line and ended up being one of the vertebrae of the team for a decade, integral to every playoff run. Other posters have summed it up better than I can, but #5 will always one of my favorite Rangers a true warrior who I wish I couldve seen lift that chalice and drink his own blood out of it. Godspeed.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Big part of this Franchise's turnaround in the post lockout era. Most of how I feel about Girardi is already stated in this thread and I posted in the buyout thread. People like to whip on this guy and for good reason this year. 2 maybe 3 HORRENDOUS season doesn't erase the 8 great ones at all. Us Ranger fans ***** about players not giving it all no matter what era, this man did. Besides Hank I'm willing to say he was probably the most important leader in the locker room. The guys loved him. The fans loved him. The organization loved him. He did all we asked. Thank you Dan, Wish you nothing but the best.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Look for him to end up with the Dallas Stars and Ken Hitchcock's

I highly doubt it - I think G hockey career is over for good this time. I don`t know if I will miss him in the lineup like Brassard or Hagelin, but he was well respected in NY so good luck!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
How he does as an UFA will be super interesting. Has there been any other life long long-tenured Rangers to hit UFA in our last decade or so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad