Dan Girardi Appreciation Thread

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Easily one of the best d I have seen wearing the Ranger blue in my six decades as a fan.

A victim more of how the game has changed rather than is deteriorating skills. Not to diminish how those skills have deteriorated as they have, but in the "old" NHL, meaning even just five years ago, a veteran, stay-at-home dman, was invaluable. In this "old" NHL, Girardi could have played out his contract with the Rangers. But the game has changed and passed him by.

How soon we forget just how good he was: when he was emerging as a young d playing with Fedor Tyutin and has an experienced young vet when he made the all-star game/ How soon we forget that the heart of our Torts teams was the fact that we had 3 legit #1 d: McD, Staal, and Girardi.

So let's take a step back and appreciate him: undrafted, started his pro-career in the ECHL, but quickly rose to the AHL and then the Rangers. Made the all-star team, legit #1 shut-down d who Ovechkin had summer-long nightmares about, set the standard for shot-blocking with Torts, a heart and soul warrior who was proud to wear Ranger blue and made me proud to be a Ranger fan.

No point in adding much else, this is perfect.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Easily one of the best d I have seen wearing the Ranger blue in my six decades as a fan.

A victim more of how the game has changed rather than is deteriorating skills. Not to diminish how those skills have deteriorated as they have, but in the "old" NHL, meaning even just five years ago, a veteran, stay-at-home dman, was invaluable. In this "old" NHL, Girardi could have played out his contract with the Rangers. But the game has changed and passed him by.

How soon we forget just how good he was: when he was emerging as a young d playing with Fedor Tyutin and has an experienced young vet when he made the all-star game/ How soon we forget that the heart of our Torts teams was the fact that we had 3 legit #1 d: McD, Staal, and Girardi.

So let's take a step back and appreciate him: undrafted, started his pro-career in the ECHL, but quickly rose to the AHL and then the Rangers. Made the all-star team, legit #1 shut-down d who Ovechkin had summer-long nightmares about, set the standard for shot-blocking with Torts, a heart and soul warrior who was proud to wear Ranger blue and made me proud to be a Ranger fan.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

100%

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Respect all the efforts he gave to this team and the good years he put in.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Right move, but still really sad about this.

He came up when I was in college and represented new life in the NYR D. He also is probably the player that I most resembled as a player.

Glad I won't have to read page after page of venom at least. Warrior is a fitting term.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
History will remember Dan Girardi more for his dedication to the sweater, his hard work on the ice and his classy demeanor off the ice than it will for his declining play over the last two seasons.

Great Ranger. He will be missed.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

This. All of this.

Sad to see his time as a Ranger come to an end, but the team needed to move on and he needs a role where the expectations aren't so great. Facing down all of this he still played with 3 busted ribs in the playoffs. What an animal.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
End of an era.

A victim of today's speedy NHL as someone mentioned. Good for the game, but you can't help but feel for guys like him. He'd still be a regular pre-lockout.

His epic performances vs. the greatest scorer of maybe all time will never be forgotten.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Also appropriate

tenor.gif

Perfect. So long Dan, hopefully NYR finds a way to bring you back into the organization down the road.

#WARRIOR

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
You did alot for us, Dan...but you're a multi-millionaire that'll still be getting another $10 mil not to play for us...and you can make up what you lost by playing cheap on someone's 3rd line. Therefore, I don't feel too bad for ya. Best of Luck, Dan!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
tenor.gif

Sucks, but needed to be done on a Ranger standpoint.

Best to him and his family. Was an absolute blast to watch him bleed blue!! :handclap: :handclap:

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
The guy was a warrior. I remember him coming out of nowhere, and giving his body to this organization for the past 11 years. It was tough watching the past couple of years seeing what happened to his game, and the backlash he received. During the Dark Ages 97-2004 we had very little players with the heart showed. He was True Blue.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I'm happy to see so much love for such a selfless player. Guy blocked so many shots for the organization its incredible, it definitely helped speed up his decline.

I'm glad the tone is one of appreciation. Cheers Dan

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks Dan. I appreciate all you gave our franchise. Hope you come back to the organization sometime down the road. You were tougher than Superman.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I came in here looking to say a similar thing (although my fandom isn't quite 3 decades yet).

People should just keep quoting this over and over. It's perfect.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I think there's a lot to this but even so the last couple years he hasn't been able to play through all the injuries he was getting. They were taking a toll too.

Girardi was a 100%er in my eyes and being a Rangers fan since the early 70's I'd say he probably ranks in my top 20-25 favorite players over about 45 years.

I think for this 45+ year Ranger fan Alkurtz and Eco pretty well summed up the situation . He never gave less than 110 % and probably should have been our captain ahead of McDonagh .

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Wonder if he laces em' up again.

If he retires he'll stay in New York with his kid and wife.

Guarantee he goes to a game and gets a standing ovation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad