Dan Girardi Appreciation Thread

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I'm sad. One of the original rangers. Of course his ability to play at a high level was very much diminished. But I'll forever respect him for what he's done as a Ranger. I'll always remember as nothing but a warrior. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. :(

tumblr_m1s3n8MG8s1qg34r0.gif

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Gave everything he had. Wish some others on this roster had half his willingness to compete. Best of luck in his next stop. Hope he gets a tremendous welcome back next season, he deserves it.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
A warrior whose best days were sadly behind him.

Carved out a great career for a guy who no one expected to do much of anything.

Thanks for everything, Dan, and good luck in the future.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Absolute warrior. He gave this organization everything he had and was willing to sacrifice everything to win. You can't ask for more than that as a fan. Wish him nothing but the absolute best for him going forward.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Wishing him all the best for the future. His career exemplifies what you can accomplish through dedication and perservence. There is a reason he went undrafted, and there was a reason he hustled his way onto an NHL All Star Team. Forever a Ranger.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
If everyone played for the logo on the front the way Dan did they may only last a few years, like he did, but we would be an amazing team. He put it out there every night, no matter what, and his body is MUCH worse off for it. Props Dan, I hope you retire and go to the front office.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Easily one of the best d I have seen wearing the Ranger blue in my six decades as a fan.

A victim more of how the game has changed rather than is deteriorating skills. Not to diminish how those skills have deteriorated as they have, but in the "old" NHL, meaning even just five years ago, a veteran, stay-at-home dman, was invaluable. In this "old" NHL, Girardi could have played out his contract with the Rangers. But the game has changed and passed him by.

How soon we forget just how good he was: when he was emerging as a young d playing with Fedor Tyutin and has an experienced young vet when he made the all-star game/ How soon we forget that the heart of our Torts teams was the fact that we had 3 legit #1 d: McD, Staal, and Girardi.

So let's take a step back and appreciate him: undrafted, started his pro-career in the ECHL, but quickly rose to the AHL and then the Rangers. Made the all-star team, legit #1 shut-down d who Ovechkin had summer-long nightmares about, set the standard for shot-blocking with Torts, a heart and soul warrior who was proud to wear Ranger blue and made me proud to be a Ranger fan.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
If everyone played for the logo on the front the way Dan did they may only last a few years, like he did, but we would be an amazing team. He put it out there every night, no matter what, and his body is MUCH worse off for it. Props Dan, I hope you retire and go to the front office.

Agree

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Consumate pro. Was never his fault that he got the contract he did. Was never his fault that AV used him the way he did.

Can't be anything but thankful to DG5 for his service to this organization.

Also, thanks for being a good dude that one time I ran into him in the (now closed) Tim Hortons in Penn Station.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a sad day if you're a fan. Like so many have said, the man was a warrior. He sacrificed everything he had to help the Rangers win. I have no complaints with him as a player and will always remember that even though his performance was slipping in recent years, I thought he played very well in the playoffs. Way to go out on a positive note...

Thanks for the memories and best of luck G!!! :handclap:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Sad to see him go because of the past, happy to have it happen because of the future.

I didn't start watching hockey until 07 so it'll be weird to not see Girardi out there blocking shots and having pucks deflect in off his ass. He gave a lot to the organization, he took a hell of a beating in his career here so I hope he is able to have a normal life after hockey. He's probably not even human so there's a good chance he won't have any long lasting effects.... Either way, thanks for everything Dan!

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
From the ECHL to wearing an "A" for our team. He will always be remembered as a warrior who put his body on the line for this club. Thanks Dan.

Got to think he'll be working with the front office at some point after his career ends.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Always a shame to see these longtime Rangers go without ever being able to raise a Cup. That's what makes me the saddest.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Girardi was all man on the ice. Every time he blocked a puck, I felt worse for the puck. Dude has the skeleton of a Terminator. "He left it all out there" is an overused term, but I think it's true of Girardi, hence the rapid decline in play the past few years. He really did leave it all out there. He had nothing left to give. I think the Tortorella years shortened his productivity. I really do. I also think Thunder Dan deserved one of the Steven McDonald Awards that went to Callahan. Girardi's entire game in those years was Extra Effort. I salute ol' #5 and wish him well in the future.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Easily one of the best d I have seen wearing the Ranger blue in my six decades as a fan.

A victim more of how the game has changed rather than is deteriorating skills. Not to diminish how those skills have deteriorated as they have, but in the "old" NHL, meaning even just five years ago, a veteran, stay-at-home dman, was invaluable. In this "old" NHL, Girardi could have played out his contract with the Rangers. But the game has changed and passed him by.

How soon we forget just how good he was: when he was emerging as a young d playing with Fedor Tyutin and has an experienced young vet when he made the all-star game/ How soon we forget that the heart of our Torts teams was the fact that we had 3 legit #1 d: McD, Staal, and Girardi.

So let's take a step back and appreciate him: undrafted, started his pro-career in the ECHL, but quickly rose to the AHL and then the Rangers. Made the all-star team, legit #1 shut-down d who Ovechkin had summer-long nightmares about, set the standard for shot-blocking with Torts, a heart and soul warrior who was proud to wear Ranger blue and made me proud to be a Ranger fan.

I think there's a lot to this but even so the last couple years he hasn't been able to play through all the injuries he was getting. They were taking a toll too.

Girardi was a 100%er in my eyes and being a Rangers fan since the early 70's I'd say he probably ranks in my top 20-25 favorite players over about 45 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad