Waived: Dan Cleary (cleared, assigned to GR - changes mind, going to GR)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
There's really no reason to sports hate the guy anymore. Dude helped bring a cup here and get to another finals. If this is his curtain call then thanks for the effort and good luck to ya, clears.

The sports hate can stop once it is clear he will never play another moment of red wings hockey. We are not there yet.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Never really got the vitriol sometimes directed at Cleary.

No, the guy isn't an effective NHL player anymore. Seems like a great guy, and great teammate though. Obviously loves the game. It's more tragic than anything. Like any aging player, having to deal with the game you love passing you by.

I'd be competitive in a beer league at most. But if the Wings offer me a contract I sign it without thinking. I'd be much more of a detriment than a help but players want to play, bottom line. It's not their job, or their responsibility, to determine when they've lost their effectiveness. That's the GM's job. Cleary has been on the team long past his use by date because of one person, the guy who keeps offering him contracts and a roster spot.

Anyway, glad Holland finally has the cajones to do what he should have a while ago.:handclap:

And thanks for the good years, Danny. Look forward to seeing you in a productive, front office position with the Wings.

Last edited:

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
What would be the point of waiving him if he's not going anywhere?

If they waive him now, but don't send him down, isn't he then immune from waivers in the future if they send him down? I seem to recall them doing this with others in the past for this reason.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If they waive him now, but don't send him down, isn't he then immune from waivers in the future if they send him down? I seem to recall them doing this with others in the past for this reason.

Okay, so that means he's not down right now but the plan seems to be he's the first one to go should they need the spot? Seems like great news to me. The writing is on the wall.

Actual Thought*

There's really no reason to sports hate the guy anymore. Dude helped bring a cup here and get to another finals. If this is his curtain call then thanks for the effort and good luck to ya, clears.
It is very sad and kind of pathetic that it took until post 40 to get to this.
Thanks Danny Cleary for some great years and great runs. I apologize for our "fan base".

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
It's pretty clear that Cleary will be sent down if Kindl is ready to go. No reason to do it until your roster is overfilled.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
The fact it took so long to waive him is enough evidence to believe he'll play at least 10 games this year in Detroit.

As of right now it's clear he's behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Abdelkader, Franzen, Sheahan, Richards, Helm, Miller, Glendening, Pulkkinen, Ferraro, Jurco, Andersson, and Larkin. So at best he's the 17th forward, and there's no way to know that he's even ahead of some of the guys already sent down with waiver exemption (AA, Mantha, Bert, etc). If enough injuries were to strike simultaneously that we'd be down to our 17th forward for an extended period of time, it's pretty likely they'd give one of them a shot first if they're doing well in GR.

There is no reason to believe that he'll get any significant play time this year unless you actually think we'll have a 2013 repeat injury wise.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'll always have fond memories of Cleary destroying Phaneuf in round 1 in 2007 and then setting up a goal on the same shift.

And fighting Pronger. He had some realgud games and seasons for the Wings.:yo:
I agree with the posters here that the last 2 season were terrible. He was more like swimming on the ice than skating.

This is how he looked.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'll always have fond memories of Cleary destroying Phaneuf in round 1 in 2007 and then setting up a goal on the same shift.

Yeah Cleary has had some great moments for us (the below one probably my fav) , hopefully the last few seasons and the whole "contract promise" debacle won't tarnish his accomplishments here forever.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Always appreciated Cleary when he could play. Can't blame him for grabbing as much money as he could. The vitriol should be aimed at Holland

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He's not gone yet. Waived <> demoted. This just means they can send him down in the next 30 days without having to waive him again.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

Are you guys really thinking he won't just nut up and play in the AHL? Dude just seems to love hockey.

But waivers are the precursor for assignment.

In addition to what sarcastro said, the Wings can assign him to GR, but he doesn't have to show up if they tell him that's okay. It's up to the team to suspend a player who doesn't report. I recall a situation in Tampa where a veteran was waived, assigned, and failed to report. They just kept paying him.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Even when Holland does what people wanted him to do, they either don't believe he did or that okay... mayyyyyybe he did it but doesn't want it to work so he can do the other thing he really wanted to do all along.

Tough room.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
In addition to what sarcastro said, the Wings can assign him to GR, but he doesn't have to show up if they tell him that's okay. It's up to the team to suspend a player who doesn't report. I recall a situation in Tampa where a veteran was waived, assigned, and failed to report. They just kept paying him.

Do you have to keep paying him? That seems very odd...
Even when Holland does what people wanted him to do, they either don't believe he did or that okay... mayyyyyybe he did it but doesn't want it to work so he can do the other thing he really wanted to do all along.

Tough room.

This thing has happened 3 years in a row. You have to forgive people for being a little skeptical.

Glenn

Jan 22, 2013
Never really got the vitriol sometimes directed at Cleary.

No, the guy isn't an effective NHL player anymore. Seems like a great guy, and great teammate though. Obviously loves the game. It's more tragic than anything. Like any aging player, having to deal with the game you love passing you by.

I'd be competitive in a beer league at most. But if the Wings offer me a contract I sign it without thinking. I'd be much more of a detriment than a help but players want to play, bottom line. It's not their job, or their responsibility, to determine when they've lost their effectiveness. That's the GM's job. Cleary has been on the team long past his use by date because of one person, the guy who keeps offering him contracts and a roster spot.

Anyway, glad Holland finally has the cajones to do what he should have a while ago.:handclap:

And thanks for the good years, Danny. Look forward to seeing you in a productive, front office position with the Wings.

The man was an absolute warrior in 2008. I have no hate for him whatsoever. Holland and Babcock shouldn't have been playing him as much as they did after 2009/2010, but that's not on Cleary. He sacrificed himself, and soldiered on. He wasn't very effective, but he gave it his all.
He doesn't deserve all this hate.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thanks for the good times Cleary. Have seen very few that appreciate the city and logo more than this guy. He gave everything he had the wheels fell off and the Wings made good on a promise that will resonate with a lot of players around the league even if it gave us as fans a lot of heartburn. Still I appreciate the way he loves Detroit, the Red Wings and gave all he had most nights. I look forward to hearing his thoughts in an organizational role in the future.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
This thing has happened 3 years in a row. You have to forgive people for being a little skeptical.

Two years ago he was playing because the whole roster was hurt.
Last year he played 17 games.
This year he's unlikely to play even that many, and probably none.
In that entire period of time he made around what Howard will make in any one of the years of his new deal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
"This thing" isn't dragging your family into the street and burning them alive, you know. Fans should stop treating it like a mortal insult deserving of limitless scorn.

Yeah. People are suiciding over this. I saw some guy on TV the other night light himself on fire. When people say stuff like "I'll believe he's going to GR when I see him play a game for the Griffs. Until then, I ain't buying it" I can just feel that they're on the verge of losing it completely.

Some people expressed skepticism. After 3 undeserved contracts, they dared utter that they'll "believe it when they see it."

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I dunno, the last two-three years really soured me on Cleary. I know a lot of it is on Holland and Babcock, but god damn, what a disaster the whole debacle was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad