Damn the Sabres were stacked

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
It was a strong 4 line deep team but definitely not even the best Sabres team to not win a cup. Previous Sabres teams had Hasek, Lafontaine and Perrault.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Dude, they weren’t stacked, they were scary good.

Seriously that was one of my favorite post-lockout teams.

OH NOW DO YOU BELIEVE, NOW DO YOU BELIEVE

(or am I an elitist for expecting hockey fans to know this reference)

We were 7.7 seconds away from taking them back home with a 3-2 lead and all the momentum in the world. Still hurts to this day. I had nightmares of Jeanneret's "he SCCCOOooooRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrrsssssssssSSSS" with that iconic siren in the background for weeks. That was the first true heartbreak in my sports existence. A sign of things to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 518NYRfan

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I mean this Sabres team had back to back runs to the conference finals and played the Rangers during one of them... I remember that series like it was yesterday.

I would not expect the same thing about some obscure team that had no stars like the 2007 Phoenix Coyotes or something. A lot of these faces and jersey numbers are the most recognizable for anyone who was watching hockey in the mid 2000's

I know what Daniel Brière looks like and I had trouble recognizing him on the poster. Please.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I know what Daniel Brière looks like and I had trouble recognizing him on the poster. Please.

Fair enough. It is also probably a side effect of all the hours I logged on the EA NHL video games when I was in middle and high school, all these jersey numbers and players are ingrained in my photographic mind. I would be able to beat my friends as an AHL team and they would be Team Canada, I would score more goals than they would have shots.

Don't ask me to do simple algebra though with slopes and transitive properties and shit like that, or what a covalent bond is, or how to say "Hi my name is JT Kreider, how are you" in Spanish even though I took it for 5 years through HS and college.

I definitely had my priorities in order back then :huh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Loved that team. Weren't they on their 7th and 8th defensemen a few playoffs in a row? Injuries seemed to derail their opportunity for a Cup. Though they would have been in a dogfight with that 07 Ducks team regardless.

If I remember right, they had six defensemen all injured in the conference finals.

Reactions: schpaff

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
1mbcm8.jpg

trying to see the players in that picture

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Loved that team. Weren't they on their 7th and 8th defensemen a few playoffs in a row? Injuries seemed to derail their opportunity for a Cup. Though they would have been in a dogfight with that 07 Ducks team regardless.

Yeah, when we lost against the Canes in game 7 of the conference finals, I think we had 1 of our regular NHL defenseman in the line-up that night. Our blue line was just decimated those playoffs, and it killed the best shot the team has ever had at winning the cup.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That 2005-2006 team was the lost likeable team of my lifetime in any sport, and there is nothing even remotely close. The lovefest between that team and the city was unlike anything.

Reactions: Gabrielor

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
2005-2007 was the best hockey I've ever watched as a Sabres fan. I cant believe we didn't win a cup, injuries really screwed us or we win that first year. :shakehead

Reactions: Gabrielor

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That’s a clown question, bro

Even if you don't know the players by face or jersey number, any knowledgeable hockey fan over the age of 20-25 that watched hockey in the mid 2000's should have a general gist of what their roster was.

Again, this team went to back to back conference finals and Drury, Briere, Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Connolly, Stafford, Campbell are some of the most recognizable players of that era. Afinogenov I probably wouldn't be able to point out of a line of nameless faces but the #61 is a dead giveaway.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They were so much fun. It was regiers subtle work with lindy Ruffs discipline and so many incrdients meshing well together.

third line was vanek Roy afinigenov

haven’t read the thread yet but I remember all of what I’m going to write off by heart, mainly because it was again a blast, I was 19-20 in these years.

It wasn’t the star power as much as it was the chemistry, speed and the right people at the right time with miller emerging and none wwf the d moved the puck to The offense.

while the 07 team won the presidents trophy and scored just over or just under 300 goals! It was the 05-06 team that I personally felt was more under the radar and dangerous. Just not as stacked but better chemistry with an underdog mentality of that makes sense.

the top two lines were combinations of bridge Hecht dumont then when he left pominville the second line would be Friday Connolly kotlaik (one year had Grier another year had Zubrus)

the fourth line was great too with guys like Gaustad a young stafford kaleta Paille

the d tallinder lydman Campbell spacek numminen McKee Sekera mixes of guys like that at One point there was a young Miller with biron and noronen.

those two years were magic.

when Campbell briers drury left I still made a bet with a Canuck fan (I live in BC) that buffalo had enough Offense to still finish top 5 in goals even with fhe departures of those three guys and he was like “no chance in hell” so i made a 50 dollar bet with him and on the last day of the season the flyers played the pens in 07-08 and they (philly) would of needed to score seven goals On that last game of the season. in for me to lose The bet as buffalo was sitting in 5th after they played their last game with philly sixth. They didnt So the flyers finished sixth and buffalo while missing the playoffs not by much still did infact finish fifth, exactly in goals so I just made it out but still won, lol. They had depth and that’s why I still figured despite not being sure if they would be great tha they would still score a lot so at least there’s that....

Won the bet in April buddy didn’t pay me until that Halloween LOL

I mean this Sabres team had back to back runs to the conference finals and played the Rangers during one of them... I remember that series like it was yesterday.

I would not expect the same thing about some obscure team that had no stars like the 2007 Phoenix Coyotes or something. A lot of these faces and jersey numbers are the most recognizable for anyone who was watching hockey in the mid 2000's

this isn’t a major correction but just wanted to say....

They actually played the rangers in the second round in 2007, that was the conference semi finals the year they won the presidents trophy, that had that classic comeback game where drury tied it up at 1-1 with seconds left and a max blasted home the ot winner then the next game we won on the road in afternoon Sunday matinee to eliminate the rangers in 6.

the eastern final that year was the sens the team we upset the year before in 5, this time they got their revenge in 5 taking out buffalo with a goal by alfredsson in OT. Again I remember this stuff like the back of my hand, haha. The year before was the Carolina 7 game series where we had 4 or 5 d Men out. Edmonton also lost their starting goalie in game one, to say Carolina got a lot of breaks that year was an understatement. I remember even in the first round Saku koivu Montreal’s captain took something like a stick or puck to the eye and Carolina had the advantage of him not playing too in the first round. Also brodeur was not himself against the canes in that second round in 06. Still though a cup win is a cup win..

They actually played the rangers in the second round in 2007, that was the conference semi finals the year they won the presidents trophy, that had that classic comeback game where drury tied it up at 1-1 with seconds left and a max blasted home the ot winner then the next game we won on the road in afternoon Sunday matinee to eliminate the rangera.

the eastern final that year was the sens the team we upset the year before in 5, this time they got their revenge in 5 taking out buffalo with a goal by alfredsson in OT. Again I remember this stuff like the back of my hand, haha. The year before was the Carolina 7 game series where we had 4 or 5 Men out.
you are talking about like <.001% of hockey fans .... not even buffalo fans remember every player on the roster I guarantee

Nope, not every buffalo fan I remember absolutely everybody on that team but that’s just one of my talents. I can remember dates and events and names like it’s nothing. But I still see your point. I’m a little rainman like that way, haha if you look above I named everyone without looking anything up. I’m just reading the replies now and quoting/responding to people and I don’t have to go look up if I’m right either because again I know I am and that’s not to sound arrogant it’s just i can tell you who beat who in how many games with basically every in the last 30 playoffs. People I know have a blast quizzing me.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
They were so much fun. It was regiers subtle work with lindy Ruffs discipline and so many incrdients meshing well together.

third line was vanek Roy afinigenov

haven’t read the thread yet but I remember all of what I’m going to write off by heart, mainly because it was again a blast, I was 19-20 in these years.

It wasn’t the star power as much as it was the chemistry, speed and the right people at the right time with miller emerging and none wwf the d moved the puck to The offense.

while the 07 team won the presidents trophy and scored just over or just under 300 goals! It was the 05-06 team that I personally felt was more under the radar and dangerous. Just not as stacked but better chemistry with an underdog mentality of that makes sense.

the top two lines were combinations of bridge Hecht dumont then when he left pominville the second line would be Friday Connolly kotlaik (one year had Grier another year had Zubrus)

the fourth line was great too with guys like Gaustad a young stafford kaleta Paille

the d tallinder lydman Campbell spacek numminen McKee Sekera mixes of guys like that at One point there was a young Miller with biron and noronen.

those two years were magic.

when Campbell briers drury left I still made a bet with a guy that buffalo had enough Offense to finish top 5 in goals even without them and he was like not a change in heel. 50 dollar bet with a buddy, and on the last day of the season the flyers played the pens in 07-08 and they would of needed to score seven goals in for me to lose. They didnt So the flyers finished sixth and buffalo while missing the playoffs not by much still did infact finish fifth, exactly.

Won the bet in April buddy didn’t pay me until that Halloween LOL

this isn’t a major correction but just wanted to say....

They actually played the rangers in the second round in 2007, that was the conference semi finals the year they won the presidents trophy, that had that classic comeback game where drury tied it up at 1-1 with seconds left and a max blasted home the ot winner then the next game we won on the road in afternoon Sunday matinee to eliminate the rangers in 6.

the eastern final that year was the sens the team we upset the year before in 5, this time they got their revenge in 5 taking out buffalo with a goal by alfredsson in OT. Again I remember this stuff like the back of my hand, haha. The year before was the Carolina 7 game series where we had 4 or 5 d Men out. Edmonton also lost their starting goalie in game one, to say Carolina got a lot of breaks that year was an understatement. I remember even in the first round Saku koivu Montreal’s captain took something like a stick or puck to the eye and Carolina had the advantage of him not playing too in the first round. Also brodeur was not himself against the canes in that second round in 06. Still though a cup win is a cup win..

Yes I know it was in round 2, I meant they played the Rangers during one of their runs to the conference finals, not in one of the conference finals itself. I was at MSG for every game that postseason. We swept Atlanta behind a Game 3 7-0 beatdown, Callahan scored his first playoff goal and I immediately fell in love.

Jagr nearly single handedly tied up that Game 6 but we fell just short. There was so much talent on the ice, it was truly a sight to see, I'll never forget it.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Yes I know it was in round 2, I meant they played the Rangers during one of their runs to the conference finals, not in one of the conference finals itself

Yeah man it’s all good, that’s why I wrote minor correction but I see what you meant. That was a fun time, I knew that team was coming on when the lockout happened I was telling my brother I really think buffalo has something, I’m biased of course but I really liked how they were playing to end the season before that and sure enough when the league took back shape buffalo were the poster boys for the new NHL. That was what tsn in Canada was calling Buffalo anyway.

I remember tit was January if 2007 and there was a poll and it said who has the best offense in all of sports

It has the Phoenix suns (pretty sure them or dallas mavericks) for some reason I get those two teams mixed up

the patriots

the sabres

and the Red Sox

And buffalo won.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
They wouldn't have beaten the Ducks. By then the officiating had already changed enough to favor big physical teams over small fast ones in the playoffs. 06 was their year, but it was derailed by injuries. Not to take anything from the Canes, but IIRC we were missing our top 3 or 4 defensemen and still were leading going into the 3rd period of game 7. That was my personal favorite team as a Sabres fan, the disappointing ending notwithstanding.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
05-06 was probably the most fun year in terms of the quality of play and entertainment factor for Sabres hockey that I've ever seen. If we weren't down to a mostly AHL defense (and no Tim Connolly) in the conference finals we crush the Canes in 5 games and probably sweep the Oilers in the finals. The team really was scary good.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah man it’s all good, that’s why I wrote minor correction but I see what you meant. That was a fun time, I knew that team was coming on when the lockout happened I was telling my brother I really think buffalo has something, I’m biased of course but I really liked how they were playing to end the season before that and sure enough when the league took back shape buffalo were the poster boys for the new NHL. That was what tsn in Canada was calling Buffalo anyway.

I remember tit was January if 2007 and there was a poll and it said who has the best offense in all of sports

It has the Phoenix suns (pretty sure them or dallas mavericks) for some reason I get those two teams mixed up

the patriots

the sabres

and the Red Sox

And buffalo won.

Yeah I vaguely remember the Sabres blowing out the Rangers early in 06 in those sweet baby blue throwbacks, Drury had like 5 points and the Sabres won something like 8 in a row to start the season.

Wasn't there like a 10-1 win over the Flyers too?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
'71 Bruins
'93 Pens

Two of the best rosters/teams ever assembled. Might be the two best teams of all-time but neither won a Cup that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad