Damn the Sabres were stacked

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by JT Kreider, Feb 13, 2020 at 6:44 PM.

1. FerrisRox

FerrisRox "Wanna go, Prettyboy?"

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Where do you see Pat Lafontaine?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Crawlin W/Dahlin

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

Oh dude there was quite a few.

going off the top of my head, in January 06 we beat the kings 10-1, there was also a game we beat the thrashers that year 10-2 or 9-2 and then that same season we lost 10-4 to Ottawa. Lol in the playoffs in the first round this year (05-06) we beat Ottawa 8-2, in game two of the first round (game one was the double overtime briefs winner where Campbell destroyed Umberger!) best hit ever! pomminville and someone else I think either dumont or Hecht both had hat tricks! In the 8-2 game...That was to take a 2-0 series lead. Then in game six on the road we won 7-1 or something in Philly of course to a chorus of boos.

Then in the next season in 06-07 the sabres did hit ten goals twice again, the beat the flyers I think 9-1 in November 2006 where max went through and made Hatcher look like a pilon, this game got Hitchcock fired.

And there was a couple other big blowouts that season for sure, that was the season they started 10-0-1 and I believe the streak was broken just before Halloween (i was working security and I remember my bother calling me saying “damn thrashers won in a shootout” that was to make us go to 10-0-1 anyway it was 10-0 be for that. Someone else beat Buffalo in regulation right after I think Toronto or Ottawa then buffalo won a few more in a row. Anyway I’m rambling now it was just a great year. That team fed off each other so we’ll, whenever they started scoring they would go on a tear. The confidence just boasted when momentum started going it was such a blast!

New World Man likes this.
  3. njdevils1982

njdevils1982 Hell Toupée!!!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    cringeworthy call….a clown forever

CaptBrannigan likes this.
  4. broc

broc Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Wait, shouldn’t Andrew peters be in there

ShelbyZ likes this.
  5. JT Kreider

JT Kreider FIRE GORDIE CLARK

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I am the same way, just the other day my friends and I were talking about Sean Avery since he has a new podcast and they were freaked out when I ripped off the fact he scored his first goal in his MSG debut against the Lightning in a 5-0 win against Johan Holmqvist. I was at that game and Avery lit the place up in a way only he could.

I'm the king of useless hockey information but don't you dare ask me what 15 x 8 is.

Damn now I miss the mid 2000's. that was a great time to be a teenager, the last few precious years before social media really took off and everything went to ****.

Does anyone remember the chat rooms on Gamecenter live?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 11:34 PM
  6. IlikeEich

IlikeEich Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    oh hush up, he’s our clown and we love him. Seriously, I get that he’s a bit much for some, but if you don’t take him seriously he’s just a funny old man you disagree with. For us sabres fans- you can tell how much he loves the team, the calls match our mood, it’s a thing, just let it be a thing.

anyways, the ‘06 D injury thing- it was even more unlucky than I’ve seen posted. We were already down 3 guys, then McKee got a staph infection right before the game and had to sit. A staph infection. To put us down 4 dmen right before a game 7. Rory Fitzpatrick is now the #3 dman, the game is tied 2-2, the puck sits in between rorys skates and a ‘Cane digs it out and wrists it home. They go on to win a rather luck-aided cup (which isn’t to take anything away from their win, they can’t help luck- it just shows to varying degrees. Sabres got all the bad, canes all the good that year).

3 d-men down, a 4th falls to Staph infection a day before game 7, we lose 3-2.

idk about best team to not win, but overall that was the best sabres squad I’ve seen.

7. Stickpucker

Stickpucker Playmaka

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Those Sabres teams relied on blocking 50 shots a game then when their Dmen got hurt doing that they blamed it on bad luck.

Svechhammer likes this.
  8. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    They still werent scoring on Vezina and Conn Smythe winner Bernie Parent in 74-75 so I dont think better goaltending gets them past the Flyers that year.

9. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    sens were the better team that didn’t win the Cup in both years

10. dire wolf

dire wolf cool

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    In Game 1 against Carolina, their defensemen were:
    Henrik Tallinder
    Toni Lydman
    Teppo Numminen
    Brian Campbell
    Jay McKee

Dmitri Kalinin was already out injured before then

By Game 7 against Carolina, the defensemen were:
    Campbell
    Lydman
    Rory Fitzpatrick
    Doug Janik [10 career NHL games at that point -- none that season]
    Jeff Jillson [2 NHL games that season]
    Nathan Paetsch [1 career NHL game at that point]

They lost 4-2 on goals by Brind'Amour, Commodore, Doug Weight and, of course, Justin Williams.

11. Voight

Voight #winning

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    In a pre-cap world, they may have won the cup.

Unfortunately they lost 2 of their best players in the summer of 2007.

12. dire wolf

dire wolf cool

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    If I remember correctly, the score was tied 2-2 late in the 3rd period when Soupy barely lifted the puck over the glass and got a delay of game penalty (meaning 1 of our only 2 NHL dmen couldn't kill the penalty). Brind'Amour scored the game winner on that power play. I think the 4th goal was an empty netter. Sucks.

13. dire wolf

dire wolf cool

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That wasn't a cap issue. It was a cheap ownership issue [Tom Golisano]. They decided that they could only afford to keep 1 of Briere and Drury, and they had their heart set on Drury. They never even made an offer to Briere, who loved Buffalo and wanted to stay (he reaffirmed this on the radio the other day). The rumor was that they could have signed him for $5M x 5. Meanwhile, Drury's boyhood dream was to play for the Rangers. By the time they realized that they had lost Drury, they had screwed up with Briere, and Briere then got a huge (for the time) offer from Philly. Net result - they lost them both.

Making things even worse, EDM decided to take advantage of this predicament and offer-sheeted Vanek for $7M x 7. Buffalo was afraid if they lost Briere, Drury and Vanek in 1 season, the fans would revolt, so they matched the offer. Imagine if they had signed Briere at $5M and taken 4 1st rounders from EDM (or maybe EDM wouldn't have even bothered with the offer sheet in that scenario, and they could have kept both at reasonable salaries). Would have changed the whole next decade probably.

14. Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan Saturday Night Lupul

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Being an allstar-damngood
    As a leafs fan that was a time I used to hate the rivals. These days I just feel pity for the rivals, only Boston is left

15. JianYang

JianYang Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Those teams were highly entertaining. They had alot of key injuries that probably prevented their best chance at the cup. This included freak happenings, as I seem to recall that Jay McKee got some infection just before game 7 of the semi finals.

I also seem to recall a peice from the hockey news which posted the all time winning percentage of NHL teams up to the the lockout season of 2005.

I'm pretty sure the sabres were quite high on that list. It's this last decade or so that has been rock bottom for an otherwise well performing franchise on the ice.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 12:48 AM
  16. aufheben

aufheben as if

SB Cash:
    $ 1,478,307
    It's a shame there aren't any highlights of that team that aren't potato-quality.

17. IlikeEich

IlikeEich Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    that sounds right, felt like it went one layer deeper. So ****ed by a stupid rule, bad timing, a staph infection.. good gawd.

18. TheJackAttack

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    jay mckee

But yeah, they scored almost 300 goals and had Ryan Miller in net.

pretty sure they didn’t rely on blocking fifty shots a game and you just didn’t like the team

Eichel9 likes this.
  19. TheJackAttack

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    yeah believe it or not Buffalo was either sixth or seventh (if not fifth so Your right) all time in winning percentage in the nhl regular season all the way up to about 2011ish. No where they would be now. With expansion teams having more success (regular season anyway) and the sabres sucking for a decade but that’s just an amazing fact considering no cup or dynasty or anything like that.

20. jetsforever

jetsforever Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    They're pretty high in the all-time points % for teams.

21. IamNotADancer

IamNotADancer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I've been a fan and watched hockey/NHL since 1992. The only players I memorize by face are the ones I see all the time, i.e. players of my team or players who score against my team (division rivals for instance). I couldn't care less about what number a player of the opposing team is wearing unless it's their star player. Iconic numbers are easy to remember.

All that being said, to this day I still don't know what Jason Pominville or Drew Stafford look like or what number they wore. They could be standing in front of me and I wouldn't know.

As a Rangers fan I suffered through the 7-seconds heartbreak against the Sabres and I hated Drury and Briere for the longest time because of it.

So yeah, looking at that roster not much sticks out to me that screams "best team ever without winning the cup". They got hot at the right time and then choked at the wrong time. They were a great TEAM but not really a team of great individual players.

22. Fixxer

Fixxer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    On and off
    I thought it was an Sabre all-time team (50th anniversary), but I wondered why there were no French Connection or Hasek.
    ok so, the hockey card I owned, Lafontaine had that jersey and a similar position, but yeah, it can't be him, who's that ? lol (Doesn't have the Lafontaine's visor)
    [​IMG]

23. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Hockey fan since the late 1960s. I am so, so sorry to not live up to your expectations. I’ll probably give up the NHL now and just focus on horse racing.

IamNotADancer likes this.
  24. qqaz

qqaz Think Happy Thoughts

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Safe to say someone's joking when they claim the mid-2000s Sabres were the most historic offence in NHL history, and that everyone should remember Brian Campbell's Buffalo jersey number.

Afinoganov, sure. But Campbell!?

25. Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge All tight lips and cold feet

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yes and no. What you say is of course factually true.

Parent was, for my money, the best goalie in the league for several seasons. Truth. And of course, if you're having problems scoring , it naturally plays on your mind.

However, Buffalo did not play with the same confidence that they had prior to the Finals. Goaltender Gerry Desjardins was literally having a breakdown with the Final appearance. The other option was broken down Roger Crozier.

So now you not only have the daunting task of scoring on the magnificent Parent, you also have the trepidation of worrying about your own keeper, and trying to compensate for him.

So yes, I believe with a quality goalie, that The Sabres may well have won The Cup in 1975. I believed it then, and after a Sabres player from that team echoed the same sentiment, I stand by my opinion.

Again, it's my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm stating empirical facts here.

I sure as hell didn't think I'd wait another 45 years and counting to not realize a dream though... :dunno: