Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Could Quincey give us 2nd round pick?

If only we could trade with ourselves. Then we could get a 1st :laugh:

I would trade Quincey for anything that could yield 2nd-4th rounder

then start the year with:

Kronwall-FA/Trade
Dekeyser-Smith
Ouellet-Ericsson

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Kronwall-FA/Trade
Dekeyser-Smith
Ouellet-Ericsson

Same. If we could pull a second rounder for Quincey I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't even have to see us sign/trade for a guy to take his place. I'd be fine inserting XO and Marchenko into the lineup and just rolling with what we have, if need be.

Actual Thought*

Kronwall-FA/Trade
Dekeyser-Smith
Ouellet-Ericsson

I would be okay with that though I could see Marchy and XO dueling for the 6 hole and I am okay with that too.
I also think there is room for development of DK's offensive game. He seems to be a smart player. He could be the defensive safety net for Smith or he could play the more offensive role with a guy like E playing the safety net. Over the next 2 years I could see Dekeyser adding a few more points as he learns depending on the role they see him playing. I think they wanted him to play a simple defence first kind of game which is normal for any young defenceman. In his 3rd and fourth years he could balance out his game. I am not saying he will put up Karlsson #s but certainly 40-50 pts is possible while maintaining a + rating. He is still young.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would be okay with that though I could see Marchy and XO dueling for the 6 hole and I am okay with that too.
I also think there is room for development of DK's offensive game. He seems to be a smart player. He could be the defensive safety net for Smith or he could play the more offensive role with a guy like E playing the safety net. Over the next 2 years I could see Dekeyser adding a few more points as he learns depending on the role they see him playing. I think they wanted him to play a simple defence first kind of game which is normal for any young defenceman. In his 3rd and fourth years he could balance out his game. I am not saying he will put up Karlsson #s but certainly 40-50 pts is possible while maintaining a + rating. He is still young.

Agree with the bolded.

In order for Dekeyser to be a 40-50 point guy, he would have to be a #1 PP guy, which I don't think he ever will be (Babs pretty much said as much too). I think he will be a solid player that eats a lot of minutes for a long time though.

WingsInRed

May 6, 2014
Agree with the bolded.

In order for Dekeyser to be a 40-50 point guy, he would have to be a #1 PP guy, which I don't think he ever will be (Babs pretty much said as much too). I think he will be a solid player that eats a lot of minutes for a long time though.

I don't know if he'd need to be a #1 PP guy to get 40, he had 31 last year. Wouldn't be too shocked if he got 40 points in a couple years or so.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I think this is a case of Holland wanting to get in "now" talent for these assets to keep up the play-off streak, and can't depend on the best coach in the world getting them there anymore. Get more "now assets" for Blashill to be able to use in order to make the play-offs.

I mean what else has changed from the trade deadline until now other than the obvious coaching change. Why not have moved the 1st and/or Mantha to get more weapons for Babcock and last years post-season run?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know if he'd need to be a #1 PP guy to get 40, he had 31 last year. Wouldn't be too shocked if he got 40 points in a couple years or so.

No offense to him, but he shouldn't be on the PP at all. In which case those pts are unattainable.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I mean what else has changed from the trade deadline until now other than the obvious coaching change. Why not have moved the 1st and/or Mantha to get more weapons for Babcock and last years post-season run?

The kids on the NHL and AHL teams. If he really was upset with Mantha's play for those months + playoffs, that makes him more expendable. If he was super impressed with Larkin, AA, Miele, Nosek, Bertuzzi, maybe we don't need to hold on so tight to Mantha.

Actual Thought*

I think this is a case of Holland wanting to get in "now" talent for these assets to keep up the play-off streak, and can't depend on the best coach in the world getting them there anymore. Get more "now assets" for Blashill to be able to use in order to make the play-offs.

He hasn't done anything yet. It is conceivable that there just wasn't a deal to be made last year and Holland is exploring all avenues this year. I don't see any reason to believe he will trade Mantha just that he might consider it. Same with the 1st rd pick. I expect him to trade this year but who knows what that will mean?

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I'm not sure what to think. Phaneuf is probably better than anyone available in free agency. At least now we'll have some anticipation again for something that will never happen.

Anticipation?

Try trepidation.

Phaneuf ****ing sucks.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
i think long term mantha will be the better nhl player then pulkinnen and thats the only and sole basis of that decision

Until he does anything worth any mention in the AHL, I wont hold my breath. He seems to be the type of person with all the talent but the **** attitude that will cause it to go untapped.

Also trading for Peanut stinks of desperation to keep a sinking ship afloat just a little while longer at the expense of the future. He doesn't make Detroit a contender, just increases the short term likelihood the streak continues while decreasing the Wings' ability to compete in the future.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
he does not suck

he is simply not worth mantha or the 19th overall to us

i would gladly pckg pulkinnen, smith and our 1st rounder next season for him plus weiss if he would waive
The idea of trading next year's first rounder is terrifying to me. We have no idea what direction this team is headed.

and aging, injury-prone centers+a weak defense is usually a ticket straight to the bottom of the standings.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The idea of trading next year's first rounder is terrifying to me. We have no idea what direction this team is headed.

and aging, injury-prone centers+a weak defense is usually a ticket straight to the bottom of the standings.

yep thats true

but what is it, four straight years in and around the same draft position

i will take the odds we finish in and around the same spot next season as well

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Until he does anything worth any mention in the AHL, I wont hold my breath. He seems to be the type of person with all the talent but the **** attitude that will cause it to go untapped.

Also trading for Peanut stinks of desperation to keep a sinking ship afloat just a little while longer at the expense of the future. He doesn't make Detroit a contender, just increases the short term likelihood the streak continues while decreasing the Wings' ability to compete in the future.

to each his own

ilike manths size and natural raw ability over pulkinnens ahl numbers over the long term

not sure i agree with the last paragrapgh, while "peanut" isnt a cornerstone dman for us the chances we get such a player is about 0.05%(doughty, karlsson, subban, oel, hedman level young dmen). I think Phaneuf would be a big improvement to our backend, so much so that he would easily and unquestionably be out second best nhl dman.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
to each his own

ilike manths size and natural raw ability over pulkinnens ahl numbers over the long term

not sure i agree with the last paragrapgh, while "peanut" isnt a cornerstone dman for us the chances we get such a player is about 0.05%(doughty, karlsson, subban, oel, hedman level young dmen). I think Phaneuf would be a big improvement to our backend, so much so that he would easily and unquestionably be out second best nhl dman.

Even if he is the Wings' second best D-man he doesn't make them contenders. The team is better served not wasting assets to tread water.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Even if he is the Wings' second best D-man he doesn't make them contenders. The team is better served not wasting assets to tread water.

the team is better served no wasting top assets just to tread water

to me pulkinnen is not a long term top asset so much as anatha or larkin or mrazek or sheahan or nyquist or tatar or dekeyser are

its just my own value of the guys is all

i would move pulkinnen to bring in phaneuf

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

to me pulkinnen is not a long term top asset so much as anatha or larkin or mrazek or sheahan or nyquist or tatar or dekeyser are

Luckily for us Toronto didn't want to do that deal at the trade deadline and now that Babs is the coach there won't likely be a deal to be made seeing as we insisted they take Weiss. It's a beautiful summer.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I wouldn't move anyone to bring in Phaneuf. Why give up a guy who will be a lot like Robert Lang for a guy who has never lived up to the hype and won't make the Wings much better?

My point is if they make a move a treading water move isn't the type they should make, especially with an NHL ready offensive minded right handed shot forward.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just brainstorming here-
why not move jurco in a package for phaneuf? id rather see Pulk in the NHL under blash see what he really has in him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad