Daly: Hope to have World Cup of Hockey 2020

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Well Olympics to the Chinese is more or less propaganda, as Beijing showcased. They want to put on the biggest and best show so logic dictates that they would want the best athletes for their games.
I think you are overestimating the NHL players importance to the Olympics. The "show" aspect is what they are concerned with, doubt they are worried about whether a bunch of other countries can field their best squad for a sport in which they do not even compete at that level.

member 305909

You may critisize the NHL but they are right. Going to the olympics totally messes up the season.

The schedule of the regular season is congested as it is and on top of that you need an olympic-break.

Early September is a lousy time for a top-tournament but it is still the least worst.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think you are overestimating the NHL players importance to the Olympics. The "show" aspect is what they are concerned with, doubt they are worried about whether a bunch of other countries can field their best squad for a sport in which they do not even compete at that level.

Not the Olympics itself but to the Chinese. There are probably mutual interests there between them and NHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You may critisize the NHL but they are right. Going to the olympics totally messes up the season.

The schedule of the regular season is congested as it is and on top of that you need an olympic-break.

Early September is a lousy time for a top-tournament but it is still the least worst.

The most logical answer would be to start the season at least during the last week of September and reduce the regular season by 4-6 games.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Why wouldn't they care? They know NHL wants to play more games in China. Does that really happen without the Chinese government (at least business officials/authorities) in some level OK'ing it? Perhaps they want something in return.

I don't actually believe NHL benefits much at all from the Olympics alone, but this is the the difference: NHL has interest in China (as in NHL @ China way), that wasn't the case with South Korea and thus South Korea also lacked the political power.

What business interest does the NHL have in China? To play a couple of pre-season exhibition games there? To expand to China (that is a long road trip)? At best, even a very small business benefit would be several decades down the road, so even a minimal investment would be suspect. Remember, they don't play hockey in China. For that matter, they don't play in India either.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Basketball doesn't exactly have a long and glorious history in China either, but the NBA still reaches a bigger audience there than the combined population of the United States and Canada.

Reactions: Past Considerations

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Why wouldn't they care? They know NHL wants to play more games in China. Does that really happen without the Chinese government (at least business officials/authorities) in some level OK'ing it? Perhaps they want something in return.

I don't actually believe NHL benefits much at all from the Olympics alone, but this is the the difference: NHL has interest in China (as in NHL @ China way), that wasn't the case with South Korea and thus South Korea also lacked the political power.
How many games are they going to play in China? NHL going to shut down for 2 weeks so they can play 1-2 games per year in China? Sorry, can't buy that.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Basketball doesn't exactly have a long and glorious history in China either, but the NBA still reaches a bigger audience there than the combined population of the United States and Canada.

basketball court = X dollars and completely ubiquitous, nets can be added to essentially ANY indoor flat surface with an elevated ceiling or ANY outdoor surface without the rquirement that the surface be level.
hockey rink = not so much

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
basketball court = X dollars and completely ubiquitous, nets can be added to essentially ANY indoor flat surface with an elevated ceiling or ANY outdoor surface without the rquirement that the surface be level.
hockey rink = not so much
I really can't see hockey ever getting much traction in China.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

They play basketball in China, and they have a far more glorious history in Basketball than in hockey. I am only saying that investment in China is not a really powerful lure for the NHL.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Basketball has been a thing in China since the mid-1990s and really got going only in the 2000s, the growth has been exceptional and it quickly became a multi-billion dollar business for the NBA. It would be weird if the NHL would not be interested.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Basketball has been a thing in China since the mid-1990s and really got going only in the 2000s, the growth has been exceptional and it quickly became a multi-billion dollar business for the NBA. It would be weird if the NHL would not be interested.
They should try sure, but basketball is a lot more accessible then hockey and they won't ever get out of it what the N.BA has even if a Chinese star emerges in hockey like Yao Ming did in b-ball. But you are right, they are crazy not to try, any extra dollars is better then none.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
My opinion has changed, I'm alright with the NHL not going to China in 2022, wouldn't want half our Canadian team to be arbitrarily detained and thrown in prison for no reason whatsoever like the two innocent Canadians currently held in detention and likely being tortured as I write this. (Michael Kovrig & Michael Spavor) I realize this isn't a political forum but for a nation that so routinely violates human rights of both their own citizens and foreigners its shocking to me how they've been awarded two Olympic games in under 15 years (2008, 2022)

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
My opinion has changed, I'm alright with the NHL not going to China in 2022, wouldn't want half our Canadian team to be arbitrarily detained and thrown in prison for no reason whatsoever like the two Canadians currently held in detention and likely being tortured as I write this. (Michael Kovrig & Michael Spavor) I realize this isn't a political forum but for a nation that so routinely violates human rights of both their own citizens and foreigners its shocking to me how they've been awarded so many global international sporting events.
It could happen anyways, considering how much the NHL wants to fly over and play exhibition/regular season games.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My opinion has changed, I'm alright with the NHL not going to China in 2022, wouldn't want half our Canadian team to be arbitrarily detained and thrown in prison for no reason whatsoever like the two innocent Canadians currently held in detention and likely being tortured as I write this. (Michael Kovrig & Michael Spavor) I realize this isn't a political forum but for a nation that so routinely violates human rights of both their own citizens and foreigners its shocking to me how they've been awarded two Olympic games in under 15 years (2008, 2022)
Because the I.O.C is corrupt as all get go, be shocked no longer.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The most populous country getting the summer and the winter editions for the first time is hardly more shocking than Paris, Los Angeles, or some alpine village getting them for the Xth time.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Money largely decides who gets the Olympics, but even then you did have Germany getting the Olympics in 1936. In that sense a country that actively abducts ethnic and religious minorities and puts them in literal "re-education" camps isn't so out of line with tradition.

I also highly doubt that the Chinese government cares if the NHLers are at the Olympics or not given that 99.9% of the population won't notice or care about the difference, but I do think that the NHL owners care.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Remember, they don't play hockey in China. For that matter, they don't play in India either.
Does it matter when:

(2017) NBC was ecstatic to announce average viewership of five million for Monday’s Game 1 of the Cup final between Nashville and Pittsburgh, a 22 per cent increase over Pittsburgh-San Jose last year.

But those numbers pale in comparison to the regular audience in China: 22 million.

Stanley Cup fever translates well in China | The Star

That's pretty nice number for a country that doesn't play hockey. Now imagine if they did play, at least a little bit.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
How many games are they going to play in China? NHL going to shut down for 2 weeks so they can play 1-2 games per year in China? Sorry, can't buy that.
It is more about the long-term plan, if NHL actually has one, and not just the 1-2 games per year. If NHL gains more traction in China, it won't be just about the ticket sales, but also every area where they regularly make money (tv contracts, streaming subscriptions, merchandise). It is kind of hard to understand how big the population in China is. You don't have to be big there to still have a big audience/fan base.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Money largely decides who gets the Olympics, but even then you did have Germany getting the Olympics in 1936. In that sense a country that actively abducts ethnic and religious minorities and puts them in literal "re-education" camps isn't so out of line with tradition.

I also highly doubt that the Chinese government cares if the NHLers are at the Olympics or not given that 99.9% of the population won't notice or care about the difference, but I do think that the NHL owners care.

You do know that those camps didn't exist until after the Olympics?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Then why did you claim Germany were given the Olympics despite the camps?

I didn't. I said that if you are willing to give the Olympics to Germany in 1936, then giving the Olympics to a country under a reprehensible regime (citing the most reprehensible thing that China is currently doing) isn't an outlier outside of the Olympic tradition. The two camps were also different with somewhat different purposes, though I hope that that didn't also need to be pointed out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I didn't. I said that if you are willing to give the Olympics to Germany in 1936, then giving the Olympics to a country under a reprehensible regime (citing the most reprehensible thing that China is currently doing) isn't an outlier outside of the Olympic tradition. The two camps were also different with somewhat different purposes, though I hope that that didn't also need to be pointed out.

Well this part sort of implies that people/world would have known about camps or what was going on in Germany with the Nazis. The reality was actually this:

Berlin won the bid to host the Games over Barcelona, Spain, on 26 April 1931, at the 29th IOC Session in Barcelona (two years before the Nazis came to power).

So using the Berlin games as some example of the IOC lacking morals fails heavily.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad