Daly: Hope to have World Cup of Hockey 2020

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
It all comes to player testing. NHL/NHLPA do not want their players tested by the WADA.

WADA has way longer list of illegal substances what NHL does,
what are legal to use in the NHL are not legal to use elsewhere.

WADA has no authority over the World Cup.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
The NHL keeps talking about growing internationally yet they constantly pull shit like this. Not that I like the World Cup but it's better than no best-on-best at all.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm skeptical that there will be NHL Olympics. So, no best on best tournaments, just a semi-interesting World Championships in May and our beloved World Juniors. With no best on best tournaments in the offing, my hope is Hockey Canada's approach to the WHC is to win the tournament in front of you and not some hypothetical future best on best tournament so all these "future national team players" need to get in their reps. enough of that crap. but of course I doubt there'll be much of an attitude adjustment by Canadian players. Sorry, Hockey Canada, can't play your tournament in May as I have a friend's wedding to attend in August. check me out next year.

shills

Jul 17, 2018
Pittsburgh
Really a shame. Was hoping for the World Cup, though I felt all along that this was going to be the answer. I wont be holding out any hope for the Olympics.

I guess it's time to dust off the old Canada Cup DVDs again.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
If the Olympics won't happen then we have quite an international and spreading (even if slowly) sport not having a best on best tournament. Pathetic. I just think it is both sad and stupid. And of course I - like so many Finnish fans - have dreamt of seeing finally a truly stellar Finland of our younger generation on ice. Not having that would be so bitter... I think when it comes to the business side and the owners that the NHL is pure garbage. Really, just money grabbing trash.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I was a proponent of a legit world cup (last one didn't count, imo). But, only if it is going to be a regular tourney. Whether it is every 4 years, every 3 years, whatever. I don't want it to be something where every now and then they hold it and the format is something whacky.

I am starting to think that if we are ever going to have a best-on-best International tourney and the NHL is not going to shut down for the Olympics, then it is going to have to be the IIHF that gets the ball rolling. It is not going to be the World Championships. I know it is popular in Europe, but you can't have a legit best on best tourney when players are still playing in the play-offs. It would have to be 3 years of the World Championship when it currently is played and the 4th year move it to early September as the World Cup. We can argue about it until we are blue in the face, but the NHL is not changing their calendar to suit the IIHF's World Championship and it doesn't seem as if they are interested in shutting down for the Olympics. The arguments for and against shutting down for the Olympics have been beaten to death on here, so no real need to bring it up again.

Bottom line, if you are reading this forum, you likely want a best-on-best international tourney. To get that, I think it is going to have to be the IIHF that takes the wheel here.

Reactions: snipes

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I was a proponent of a legit world cup (last one didn't count, imo). But, only if it is going to be a regular tourney. Whether it is every 4 years, every 3 years, whatever. I don't want it to be something where every now and then they hold it and the format is something whacky.

I am starting to think that if we are ever going to have a best-on-best International tourney and the NHL is not going to shut down for the Olympics, then it is going to have to be the IIHF that gets the ball rolling. It is not going to be the World Championships. I know it is popular in Europe, but you can't have a legit best on best tourney when players are still playing in the play-offs. It would have to be 3 years of the World Championship when it currently is played and the 4th year move it to early September as the World Cup. We can argue about it until we are blue in the face, but the NHL is not changing their calendar to suit the IIHF's World Championship and it doesn't seem as if they are interested in shutting down for the Olympics. The arguments for and against shutting down for the Olympics have been beaten to death on here, so no real need to bring it up again.

Bottom line, if you are reading this forum, you likely want a best-on-best international tourney. To get that, I think it is going to have to be the IIHF that takes the wheel here.
The KHL proposed a very interesting international schedule a few years ago.

The principle was to held the Olympics in Year 1, the IIHF Worlds in Year 2, the NHL World Cup in Year 3 and A world club series (NHL v Europe/KHL) in Year 4. All held in February.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Great news. After the debacle in 2016 I don't want to see the NHL staging any best-on-best event ever again.

So now it's all about the Olympics and whether or not best-0n-best is a thing of the past.

Reactions: mattihp and Jablkon

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Well, that was that. A genuine international top tournament needs consistency and tradition. Instead vwe get, well, nothing.

This is exactly it. The last World Cup was a joke, but if the tournament kept consistency every four years, it'd gain more credence. Now the league will be back to cherry picking when to do the tournament. If it's 2024/26/28, that'll be too long of a gap in between. Not surprised this happened, nor am I surprised the PA didn't agree to do another one. The league needs to go back to the drawing board if it wants to legitimize its World Cup for many decades and generations of fans to come.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

The principle was to held the Olympics in Year 1, the IIHF Worlds in Year 2, the NHL World Cup in Year 3 and A world club series (NHL v Europe/KHL) in Year 4. All held in February.
If the NHL complains about shutting down once every four years for the Olympics, they would never agree to shut down every year.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I can see the Chinese government going all out to lure the NHL on board for 2022. They'll probably offer to pay the insurances, travel cost for family, and might even pay NHL teams. Simply because they can afford it.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The biggest tv audience and sponsors are all in Europe so accommodating those are IIHF's priority. And when the tournament is going on, most of the best player in the league have already been knocked out of playoffs. This year the tournament start is the latest ever and only 4 teams might be playing then in the NHL. If Vegas or some other surprise team is playing then, there should be plenty of the world's best players available.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The biggest tv audience and sponsors are all in Europe so accommodating those are IIHF's priority. And when the tournament is going on, most of the best player in the league have already been knocked out of playoffs. This year the tournament start is the latest ever and only 4 teams might be playing then in the NHL. If Vegas or some other surprise team is playing then, there should be plenty of the world's best players available.
I do not even think the tourney is televised in the US, so I am not surprised about the tv audiences or ratings. The IIHF can do what it wants, and if their bread and butter is Europe then so be it. Just saying if we want a real best-on-best, it is going to have to be the IIHF that gets the ball rolling. Hoping the best Canadian and US players get eliminated in the first 2 rounds of the play-offs AND they want to play in this tourney is not a good strategy to make it best on best, imo.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I can see the Chinese government going all out to lure the NHL on board for 2022. They'll probably offer to pay the insurances, travel cost for family, and might even pay NHL teams. Simply because they can afford it.
Why would the Chinese government care?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I am skeptical that the NHL would ever do anything to promote the World Championships, because even if they start late, the WC's conflict with the NHL's most heavily invested marketing venture, the Stanley Cup, and touting the WC as a real World Championship detracts from the premise that the Stanley Cup is a real World Championship. It can't be both.

The 2022 OG in Beijing are out, but it is conceivable that the NHL could play in the 2026 Games if they were held in the USA or Canada. Beyond that, the WC and WJC is all there is!

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland

Then the NHL/owners would complain how it disrupts the pre-season and we're back to square one, assuming you mean IIHF tournament where NHL has no profit-sharing role. And sharing profits doesn't sound likely as that heavily depends on where the tournament is held.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Why would the Chinese government care?
Why wouldn't they care? They know NHL wants to play more games in China. Does that really happen without the Chinese government (at least business officials/authorities) in some level OK'ing it? Perhaps they want something in return.

I don't actually believe NHL benefits much at all from the Olympics alone, but this is the the difference: NHL has interest in China (as in NHL @ China way), that wasn't the case with South Korea and thus South Korea also lacked the political power.

Last edited:

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Maybe if they hold it in 2024, they can still claim to hold it on a sort-of-consistent basis?
1996, 2004, 2016, and then 2024, 2036, 2044, 2056 and so on? The NHL can claim that their tournament is a such a big deal that they only dare to hold it once a decade...yeah, that's it. All part of the grand plan.
(Please bring back Olympic hockey)

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I perceive Bettman to be a smart man, but he is an absolute fool if he thinks he has any shot breaking into the chinese market while also spiting a project the chinese government will spend billions on.

Yeah, going to the Olympics would really give the NHL a great chance to break into the Chinese market. I remember listening to similar talk before Nagano. Now, 20 years later, hockey is really big in Japan like Alphaville.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Yeah, going to the Olympics would really give the NHL a great chance to break into the Chinese market. I remember listening to similar talk before Nagano. Now, 20 years later, hockey is really big in Japan like Alphaville.
I said it in some other thread. If Bettman decides "we're not going for China, period. Risk is too high, likelihood of it paying off is low." I respect that.

If he wants to go, he will go to the Olympics. The Chinese government runs the show in China. You may be skeptical that going will increase the popularity of the NHL in China, I guarantee you not going will kill any chance of that for good.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

The IIHF would never agree to this. Holding a yearly world championship is vital for Fasel as it is the federation’s biggest cash cow. Funds accumulated from the WC are used to fund the division 2 and 3 tournaments as well as to promote the game at lower levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad