Daly: Hope to have World Cup of Hockey 2020

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well this part sort of implies that people/world would have known about camps or what was going on in Germany with the Nazis. The reality was actually this:

So using the Berlin games as some example of the IOC lacking morals fails heavily.

I am not drawing a parallel between the camps, as I already told you, I am drawing a parallel between abhorrent regimes. The evidence that Germany's regime was abhorrent was already very clear by 1936. I will concede your point that the Olympics were awarded before the Nazi regime formally came to power, but I am amused at the depths that defenders of the IOC will go to, in this case defending the IOC which willingly went through with holding Olympic games in a country that had been actively discriminating against millions for years prior to 1936, even in government policy since at least 1933.

I have to edit this because I really can't believe I'm reading a what is essentially an attempt to defend the IOC going to Germany in 1936. This is peak "blind defence of European institutions at all costs". In any event, the IOC going to a country with an abhorrent regime like China has already happened, as noted. Germany in 1936, China itself in 2008, USSR in the 1980s. It is what it is. I also forgot the country that the IOC gave the Olympics for 1940 - Japan. Of course that plan got changed... when Japan gave the games back prior to the cancellation due to WW2.

Of course we can't let the IOC giving Olympic games to and holding Olympic games in countries featuring brutal dictatorship and regimes blight the organization's sterling moral tradition - that would be absurd.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Does it matter when:

(2017) NBC was ecstatic to announce average viewership of five million for Monday’s Game 1 of the Cup final between Nashville and Pittsburgh, a 22 per cent increase over Pittsburgh-San Jose last year.

But those numbers pale in comparison to the regular audience in China: 22 million.

Stanley Cup fever translates well in China | The Star

That's pretty nice number for a country that doesn't play hockey. Now imagine if they did play, at least a little bit.

44 million eyeballs isn't the point. The point is selling advertising. So it is a question of whether Chinese companies that sell goods and services to Chinese consumers are going to be willing to spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to advertise their product on Chinese TV that is broadcasting a game between the Jersey Devils and the Buffalo Sabres? In my opinion, they would first have to open an international airport for flying pigs! The market value of 22 million Chinese consumers, based on income and spending, is probably equivalent to less than 2.2 million Canadians or Americans.

Last edited:

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
If the NHL complains about shutting down once every four years for the Olympics, they would never agree to shut down every year.

Put cash in GBs pockets he will find you a way it's all about the money always was since Bettmans first day, that is his job and it's a very narrow NHL only focus for his owners interests only.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am not drawing a parallel between the camps, as I already told you, I am drawing a parallel between abhorrent regimes. The evidence that Germany's regime was abhorrent was already very clear by 1936. I will concede your point that the Olympics were awarded before the Nazi regime formally came to power, but I am amused at the depths that defenders of the IOC will go to, in this case defending the IOC which willingly went through with holding Olympic games in a country that had been actively discriminating against millions for years prior to 1936, even in government policy since at least 1933.

I have to edit this because I really can't believe I'm reading a what is essentially an attempt to defend the IOC going to Germany in 1936. This is peak "blind defence of European institutions at all costs". In any event, the IOC going to a country with an abhorrent regime like China has already happened, as noted. Germany in 1936, China itself in 2008, USSR in the 1980s. It is what it is. I also forgot the country that the IOC gave the Olympics for 1940 - Japan. Of course that plan got changed... when Japan gave the games back prior to the cancellation due to WW2.

Of course we can't let the IOC giving Olympic games to and holding Olympic games in countries featuring brutal dictatorship and regimes blight the organization's sterling moral tradition - that would be absurd.

Here the thing your missing, all the atrocities and policies of the Nazis were not as widely known throughout the world. I know you like to pick on IOC and there's certainly plenty of things to pick on them but I don't think this is one of them. Or are you going to pick on Finland allying Germany before the Continuation War next?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Here the thing your missing, all the atrocities and policies of the Nazis were not as widely known throughout the world. I know you like to pick on IOC and there's certainly plenty of things to pick on them but I don't think this is one of them. Or are you going to pick on Finland allying Germany before the Continuation War next?

Who cares if what Germany was doing was widely known throughout the world when we are talking about the IOC specifically? Anyone who followed the situation could see what was happening. This is especially true when you are talking about people like IOC members who were in elite circles and inevitably knew about what was going on given the exodus of high status Jews from Germany. Media in different countries were aware of the situation in Germany with regard to racism/discrimination and made people aware of it. There is no way that the IOC members were not largely aware of horrible things happening in Germany.

This Finland analogy is embarrassing. In Finland's case, Finland's choices were basically Germany or USSR. Both terrible sides. The IOC's choice was Germany or plenty of other developed countries that don't feature horrible regimes. It's fairly obvious that these are different things.

This is the height of absurdity. I find it hard to believe that the desperation to defend such an otherwise odious cartel as the IOC can drive a person to defend the IOC's decision to take the Olympics to Nazi Germany. Again though, even this and China 2022 are not outliers given the IOC's history of taking the Olympics to countries under abhorrent regimes like Japan 1940 (again, it was Japan that had the sense to cancel this opposed to the IOC) or USSR 1980 or China 2008. I would almost consider these ridiculous attempts to defend the IOC a parody of the straws that posters in this section will grasp at, but even posters here typically don't resort to defending an instance of a group working with the literal nazi government when it had other options.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Who cares if what Germany was doing was widely known throughout the world when we are talking about the IOC specifically? Anyone who followed the situation could see what was happening. This is especially true when you are talking about people like IOC members who were in elite circles and inevitably knew about what was going on given the exodus of high status Jews from Germany. Media in different countries were aware of the situation in Germany with regard to racism/discrimination and made people aware of it. There is no way that the IOC members were not largely aware of horrible things happening in Germany.

This Finland analogy is embarrassing. In Finland's case, Finland's choices were basically Germany or USSR. Both terrible sides. The IOC's choice was Germany or plenty of other developed countries that don't feature horrible regimes. It's fairly obvious that these are different things.

This is the height of absurdity. I find it hard to believe that the desperation to defend such an otherwise odious cartel as the IOC can drive a person to defend the IOC's decision to take the Olympics to Nazi Germany. Again though, even this and China 2022 are not outliers given the IOC's history of taking the Olympics to countries under abhorrent regimes like Japan 1940 (again, it was Japan that had the sense to cancel this opposed to the IOC) or USSR 1980 or China 2008. I would almost consider these ridiculous attempts to defend the IOC a parody of the straws that posters in this section will grasp at, but even posters here typically don't resort to defending an instance of a group working with the literal nazi government when it had other options.

After the Nazis took control and began instituting anti-Semitic policies, the IOC held private discussions among its delegates about changing the decision to hold the Games in Berlin. However, Hitler's regime gave assurances that Jewish athletes would be allowed to compete on a German Olympic team.

You may think that people are defending the IOC but us Finns just love to nitpick details.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also it should be remembered that the IOC is to an extent the sum of its members, so characters like Hayley Wickenheiser and Saku Koivu are in part responsible for the outcome.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Basketball has been a thing in China since the mid-1990s and really got going only in the 2000s, the growth has been exceptional and it quickly became a multi-billion dollar business for the NBA. It would be weird if the NHL would not be interested.

The NHL is only interested in growing the game below the Mason-Dixon line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->