Daly: Hope to have World Cup of Hockey 2020

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I clicked on the link and read as far as Team KHL. good grief. No thanks. I hated the gimmicks the last time, but that's even a downgrade on the gimmicks. At least Team NA Young Guns were entertaining. I hope no Canadian city gets saddled with that sad excuse of a hockey tournament. A better option would be to put it in China as a prelude to NHL Olympics.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I clicked on the link and read as far as Team KHL. good grief. No thanks. I hated the gimmicks the last time, but that's even a downgrade on the gimmicks. At least Team NA Young Guns were entertaining. I hope no Canadian city gets saddled with that sad excuse of a hockey tournament. A better option would be to put it in China as a prelude to NHL Olympics.
that isn't an idea from Daly, just the author and his suggestions...which are terrible. also a 1 and done final is not more entertaining, if it was more entertaining all playoffs would not be 7 game series, his suggestions are stupid, but to hear Daly say 2020 is a positive sign and something that we should start talking about and looking at potential rosters for the nations we know will be involved.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Is it really this hard to fill out a tournament with the following:

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland

that is a legit top 7 nations that could hold their own against each other -

for the final spot, why not do what baseball does and have a wild card game, but make it a best of 3 between the next two countries say Slovakia and Norway or Germany perhaps?? Whoever wins this is now in the final 8... I think that would create some excitement here, and you can rotate countries in the bottom 2 or whatever needed to keep it fresh.

this doesn't seem like it needs to be a gimmick or a complicated process, there are a legit 7 teams for me, you can make a case for 4-5 other nations to be that #8...just get it f***ing done guys!

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland

for the final spot, why not do what baseball does and have a wild card game, but make it a best of 3 between the next two countries say Slovakia and Norway or Germany perhaps?? Whoever wins this is now in the final 8... I think that would create some excitement here, and you can rotate countries in the bottom 2 or whatever needed to keep it fresh.

this doesn't seem like it needs to be a gimmick or a complicated process, there are a legit 7 teams for me, you can make a case for 4-5 other nations to be that #8...just get it ****ing done guys!

denmark is better than slovakia, norway and germany.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I don't have high hopes... neither that it is happening or it is happening in the proper way. I doubt they've learned enough from the response to the 2016 joke teams. The time is getting short for any qualifying tournament and if there's any potential for a lockout then it is not happening.

Lack of time for a qualification was used to partially justify the joke teams. I guess soon they can use that excuse again.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland

this doesn't seem like it needs to be a gimmick or a complicated process, there are a legit 7 teams for me, you can make a case for 4-5 other nations to be that #8...just get it ****ing done guys!
It is easy to make up the top 7, but the 8th spot is a toss-up between at least Germany, Slovakia, Norway and Denmark, maybe even Latvia. In any case, more than two of the countries in this group are equal enough that doing this properly means you can't pick just two of them for a best of 3/whatever qualification.

If NHL needs an 8th team of course the easy and quick solution is to just pull it out of a hat, which means it will be Germany. Germany might be arguably the 8th best team and it might happen to be 8th best in IIHF rankings when the pick is made, but the real reason for the pick would be Germany's market size.

Last edited:
Reactions: VP and Tomas W

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland

Why should it even be 8 teams? It would be so much better having 6 teams in 1 group playing each other once. That is more entertaining, more games, a higher quality and a better indicator on the best team.

Germany, Norway or any other minnow team don't even have a chance anyway and should have their go at the Olympics. World Cup should return it's basics and only invite the big 6.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why should it even be 8 teams? It would be so much better having 6 teams in 1 group playing each other once. That is more entertaining, more games, a higher quality and a better indicator on the best team.

Germany, Norway or any other minnow team don't even have a chance anyway and should have their go at the Olympics. World Cup should return it's basics and only invite the big 6.
if we call it the World Cup and only bring in 6 teams, just change it to kind of World Cup...sort of...

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It is easy to make up the top 7, but the 8th spot is a toss between at least Germany, Slovakia, Norway and Denmark, maybe even Latvia. In any case, more than two of the countries in this group are equal enough that doing this properly means you can't pick just two of them for a best of 3/whatever qualification.

If NHL needs an 8th team of course the easy and quick solution is to just pull it out of a hat, which means it will be Germany. Germany might be arguably the 8th best team and it might happen to be 8th best in IIHF rankings when the pick is made, but the real reason for the pick would be Germany's market size.

Yeah. Germany is at least good enough to make a case as a qualifier candidate, so they would be #8 if the NHL doesnt want qualification rounds.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
There needs to be a format implemented where it gives a World Cup every four years some legitimacy. Promotions, relegations, play ins, rotating venues/host countries, etc.

If it's another pointless money making tournament like 2016, then it'll be hot garbage.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
If they want this thing to be anything more than a modest money grab, this would require some bold vision. Meaning involvement of the IIHF and qualifiers to give this thing some structure and legitimacy. Right now, its just a meaningless preseason invitational tournament.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
if we call it the World Cup and only bring in 6 teams, just change it to kind of World Cup...sort of...
And it suddenly stops being "kind of World Cup" by having 8 teams instead of 6 teams? That doesn't make sense.

There needs to be a format implemented where it gives a World Cup every four years some legitimacy. Promotions, relegations, play ins, rotating venues/host countries, etc.

If it's another pointless money making tournament like 2016, then it'll be hot garbage.
Was the tournaments held in 1996 and 2004 not any money making tournament. That kind of criticism sounds a bit dull. Was it a meaningless pre-season tournament as Canada Cup too? Did it become meaningless only because of the "gimmick teams"?

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Was the tournaments held in 1996 and 2004 not any money making tournament. That kind of criticism sounds a bit dull. Was it a meaningless pre-season tournament as Canada Cup to? Did it become meaningless only because of the "gimmick teams"?
(I'm not OP) The gimmick teams are one difference obviously, but the 2004 tournament was in addition to Olympic participation, so maybe it didn't pretend so hard to be a true alternative to Olympics, and hence never caused similar ire. The were still same other issues: the pre-season timing and the way the groups were formed.

I'm too young to remember anything about Canada Cup but obviously it was a differrent era and even excluding that USSR effect, NHL @ Olympics wasn't going to be a thing in the foreseable future back then, and NHL players did not even participate in the IIHF Worlds either, so there was no alternative. Also the tournament format even if still "invitational" was better with the simple 6-team round robin + finals.

Last edited:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Was the tournaments held in 1996 and 2004 not any money making tournament. That kind of criticism sounds a bit dull. Was it a meaningless pre-season tournament as Canada Cup too? Did it become meaningless only because of the "gimmick teams"?

No.

The 1996 tournament actually felt like a true international event in which it invoked pride and patriotism. I'd say it was the closest feeling as that of the Olympic tournament in recent years. I can still remember the score of that final game and Richter being lights out in that entire tournament and just how involved everyone I knew was into that tournament.

I'd say the same about 2004, but the 8-year gap between the previous tournament made it feel more like a money-making endeavour.

2016. Forget it. 12 years in between. Gimmick teams. Played in only one city and venue (some "World" Cup that is). No guarantee there'd even be a tournament 4 years from then. Did more than a handful of people in Canada really give a crap that they were "World" champions? It was cheesy.

Lay out a 20- to 40-year plan where you know the format for the next 5 to 10 tournaments -- how to qualify, potential host countries, etc. -- and maybe you can build off of that. To go out on a whim less than two years out "hoping" for another World Cup...seriously, who cares about some random tournament. And I'd say the same thing as if it were branded as the Canada Cup again, or whatever. Until this "World" Cup invokes the same passion amongst the countries like it did decades ago (again, similar to an Olympics), I'll always hold my reservations on the benefits and intentions of this tournament besides $$$.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
No.

The 1996 tournament actually felt like a true international event in which it invoked pride and patriotism. I'd say it was the closest feeling as that of the Olympic tournament in recent years. I can still remember the score of that final game and Richter being lights out in that entire tournament and just how involved everyone I knew was into that tournament.

I'd say the same about 2004, but the 8-year gap between the previous tournament made it feel more like a money-making endeavour.

2016. Forget it. 12 years in between. Gimmick teams. Played in only one city and venue (some "World" Cup that is). No guarantee there'd even be a tournament 4 years from then. Did more than a handful of people in Canada really give a crap that they were "World" champions? It was cheesy.

Lay out a 20- to 40-year plan where you know the format for the next 5 to 10 tournaments -- how to qualify, potential host countries, etc. -- and maybe you can build off of that. To go out on a whim less than two years out "hoping" for another World Cup...seriously, who cares about some random tournament. And I'd say the same thing as if it were branded as the Canada Cup again, or whatever. Until this "World" Cup invokes the same passion amongst the countries like it did decades ago (again, similar to an Olympics), I'll always hold my reservations on the benefits and intentions of this tournament besides $$$.

Like it or not but the 2016 World Cup of Hockey featured the very best teams of the major hockey playing countries Russia, USA, Canada, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland iced their best possible rosters. It was very much a best vs best tournament and it will be remembered that way. The only people who won't remember it that way are just bitter and try to downplay it because their country didn't win. If anything it was more of a true representation of the true champion because teams like North America and Europe are easily better teams than anything the Slovakians, Swiss/Germans would have iced. So in terms of quality hockey teams, 2016 WCOH was a premier best vs best event.

Does anyone in their right mind hold the 2018 Olympic final between OAR - Germany as a better representation of who is the best hockey team in the world? give me a break.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Like it or not but the 2016 World Cup of Hockey featured the very best teams of the major hockey playing countries Russia, USA, Canada, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland iced their best possible rosters. It was very much a best vs best tournament and it will be remembered that way. The only people who won't remember it that way are just bitter and try to downplay it because their country didn't win. If anything it was more of a true representation of the true champion because teams like North America and Europe are easily better teams than anything the Slovakians, Swiss/Germans would have iced. So in terms of quality hockey teams, 2016 WCOH was a premier best vs best event.

Does anyone in their right mind hold the 2018 Olympic final between OAR - Germany as a better representation of who is the best hockey team in the world? give me a break.
come on....the US team was gutted of its young talent. the u23 team absolutely hurt the Americans with as many as 4-5 guys that would have made team USA.

you had a Euro collective of players that had nothing to play for but getting in game shape.

already mentioned the u23 team, that had a lot of talent but had to play against their own countries?? wtf????

2016 was a joke, and this comes from one of the biggest World Cup fans there is.

this was not best vs the best, 2 teams didn't even belong to any nation which is the entire point of why we do this!

Reactions: Ippenator

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

That the 2018 Olympics was far from a best on best tournament does not make the 2016 World up, which featured gimmick teams and limited the ability of two countries to select all of their best players, a best on best. Neither tournament was. When the rules of a tournament essentially stipulate that one or more teams cannot have access to all of its best healthy players then it obviously cannot be best on best.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I'm not even debating if it was a best vs best tournament. It was. (Although I don't agree this is the most talented tournament ever, otherwise there'd be a Canada2 in the tournament).

Bitter? I don't see it. This tournament was far from memorable. And my country won.

True representation? When I think of "World" Cup, I think of countries. Not mish-mash teams. U23? So McDavid and Matthews don't get to pull on the jersey of their own countries? That's a joke in and of itself.

No, no one in their right minds holds the 2018 Olympic final as a better representation. Especially since we were spoiled since 1998 with all the best NHLers representing their country.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
No.

The 96 tournament felt like a true international even, you say. The 2004 edition was more or less the same thing on forehand when it comes to organization. Why it was more buzz in 96 was probably since hockey was more in fashion back then and USA happened to have their best team ever and reached the final that became a classic.
Several more good players didn't play in 96 compared to 2004 but I can't see why those two tournaments were any more or less money making.

In hockey terms the 2016 edition was much more entertaining than 2004 and not to mention the dreadful 2014 Olympics. I can't see why it was negative to play the tournament in just one city. That is a good thing as a tourist or a hockey lover to see every game in less than two weeks. World Cup is still kind of searching to find it's right format and why not try make it in one place and see how it will work out?
I say the same thing about Team Europe that actually did contribute to the tournament much more than Germany or even Slovakia did before. Team NA on the other hand was entertaining but had some players that should have been on their right teams. That is why Team NA was wrong.

So many people was too negative about the 2016 edition and should try being more progressive and open to new ideas instead of just complaining and repeating what everyone else says. I was happy that we actually got the chance to see a World Cup at last. It annoys me so much more that they didn't play in 2000, 2008 and 2012 as it should have been done.
Just is it annoys me that the last Olympics was another nonsense tournament. Or even the thought that it might take TEN YEARS until we finally have another best-on-best tournament again. That is such a bigger problem than having a mixed team in a World Cup once.

Yes it does because 6 teams isn't even enough to have a group stage of 3 games.
My point is that World Cup must return to a round-robin format where every team gets to play each other once. Top 4 reaches the SF, just like the Canada Cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad