Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
There is a trend here of young skilled players coming into the team, playing extremely well for a few weeks, and then fading away into the background. Letestu, Jeffrey, Caputi, Tangradi, Vitale, Bennett.. lately Megna and probably Gibbons.

Its strange.. i can't tell if its just the players poor conditioning, losing the ethusiasm and energy after the first few games, or the coaching having some sort of detrimental effect. It is turning into "a thing" now though.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Combination of complicated system (that veterans can't even execute properly apparently), zero patients for young players, being benched for even the most basic rookie mistakes causing them to over think everything they do, and asking these players to be something they are not while ignoring what they actually do well.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
There is a trend here of young skilled players coming into the team, playing extremely well for a few weeks, and then fading away into the background. Letestu, Jeffrey, Caputi, Tangradi, Vitale, Bennett.. lately Megna and probably Gibbons.

Its strange.. i can't tell if its just the players poor conditioning, losing the ethusiasm and energy after the first few games, or the coaching having some sort of detrimental effect. It is turning into "a thing" now though.

And the fact that some of those players aren't that good. I have no idea why Vitale gets benched though, he very similar to Adams but better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Combination of complicated system (that veterans can't even execute properly apparently), zero patients for young players, being benched for even the most basic rookie mistakes causing them to over think everything they do, and asking these players to be something they are not while ignoring what they actually do well.

Damn that medical staff of the Pens'. First Crosby's concussion, now this!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Don't recall Caputi or Tangradi ever playing "extremely well" as Penguins. And Vitale's always been the same. You don't have enough examples for this to be considered a "thing" IMO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
And the fact that some of those players aren't that good. I have no idea why Vitale gets benched though, he very similar to Adams but better.

I honestly think an NHL team needs ONLY ONE of Glass, Adams, Vitale and Sill. One of these guys, with one enforcer and one younger kid on the way up (Megna?) would make for an interesting fourth line for this team.

But I'm resigned to the idea of Glass and Adams being around for several more years. :shakehead

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

At some point it's no longer a coincidence or all on the players, especially when most go on to be productive on other teams.

It's a bit scarey that this management has only developed a ~2 legit NHLers. One was a 2nd overall pick the other was a 4th liner (JV).

I'd say that it's too early for BB, Bort and Olli, but they're on their way. Hopefully they don't get Bylsmaed.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Jeffrey hasn't played particularly well consistently since coming back from a knee injury; Neither Caputi nor Tangradi ever played extremely well for very long. Vitale has been pretty consistent, and I don't think Bennett has faded away into the background, notwithstanding last night's relatively low TOI. Letestu is really the only one whose play just kind of "faded away" over time, and IIRC, he started at something like a goal/game pace for a few games that no one could keep up.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Letestu didn't really fade away he just slid down the depth chart, he's done well for the Jackets but he'd never get the ice time he gets there with the Pens.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I honestly think an NHL team needs ONLY ONE of Glass, Adams, Vitale and Sill. One of these guys, with one enforcer and one younger kid on the way up (Megna?) would make for an interesting fourth line for this team.

But I'm resigned to the idea of Glass and Adams being around for several more years. :shakehead

Megna/Sill - Vitale - Engo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At best, Tangradi had a game where he looked good with Malkin for the shifts he had with him, in typical Bylsma-esque fashion, he was then demoted to the 4th line and that was the end of his time as a Penguin. That was it, for him ever showing anything good and then being punished for it, lol.

Not even a little mad, he wasn't all that good, but it was some crappy treatment of a rookie.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

In the case of Caputi and Tangradi, it's just that they weren't really very good.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
At best, Tangradi had a game where he looked good with Malkin for the shifts he had with him, in typical Bylsma-esque fashion, he was then demoted to the 4th line and that was the end of his time as a Penguin. That was it, for him ever showing anything good and then being punished for it, lol.

Not even a little mad, he wasn't all that good, but it was some crappy treatment of a rookie.

I still think if he was treated properly, he would have been a good bottom 6 player. Plus he's big which is something just about every other bottom 6 player we currently have doesn't possess. He also was a decent passer, which Sutter desperately needs because he's a shooter (and that's about it for him offensively).

I never really liked him with Malkin (or Crosby for that matter), and never thought he was going to be a top 6 player anyway (even though I may have thought that way in the beginning). I also think management wanted him to become a power forward that planted his ass in front of net and scored dirty goals, when that was never his game to begin with. He was always more of a "playmaker" as far as making good passes in tight behind the net and along the boards. People want to point to the fact that he never produced with Malkin or never scored goals as the definitive evidence that he sucked or was never good to begin with, which is all *********. He had good games and he had bad games just like every single other young player ever that wasn't a generational talent. Then he had Bylsma to deal with, where he'd get benched for random reasons which caused him to over think the game waaaaay too much, which only made him look slower than he already was. Everybody hates on Bylsma for being unfair to young players, yet they never want to attribute that fact to Tangradi, which is hilarious.

That's enough talking about Tangradi though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, if Caputi and Tangradi were so good, shouldn't they be panning out elsewhere? Caputi has 4 goals in Sweden's 2nd division... and Tangradi isn't even an every day player for Winnipeg. Or do you actually think that the Penguins developmental system is so bad it ruined them as players? In which case I'll probably just block you.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I mean, if Caputi and Tangradi were so good, shouldn't they be panning out elsewhere? Caputi has 4 goals in Sweden's 2nd division... and Tangradi isn't even an every day player for Winnipeg. Or do you actually think that the Penguins developmental system is so bad it ruined them as players? In which case I'll probably just block you.

Block me if you want, it's not like I give a **** if you read my posts, but I honestly think they ruined Tangradi by making him into something he's not. Caputi sucked from the get go, and that was painfully obvious. I've already said what I think Tangradi could've been multiple times, so it's not like I thought he'd ever be some world beater top 6 player anyway, which again is hilarious because people always want to think I thought of him as such. Just like you by claiming Tangradi was "so good" which I never said once.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Tangradi was awful along the boards and couldn't come up with the puck, what are the coaches supposed to do? Use him in a bottom six role where he kills the cycle?

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Tangradi was awful along the boards and couldn't come up with the puck, what are the coaches supposed to do? Use him in a bottom six role where he kills the cycle?

Except he wasn't awful. He wasn't stellar, which is why I didn't want him in the top 6, but please enlighten me on what bottom 6 wingers we currently have that are good along the boards and don't cough up the puck every single time a defenseman gets on them killing the cycle? Because all I see is dump in's with zero zone time for pretty much any time the bottom 2 lines are on the ice, except for may be a shift here or there.

Look I know I'm fighting an uphill battle because he was traded, and it's the cool thing to do to **** on players Shero gets rid of.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Except he wasn't awful. He wasn't stellar, which is why I didn't want him in the top 6, but please enlighten me on what bottom 6 wingers we currently have that are good along the boards and don't cough up the puck every single time a defenseman gets on them killing the cycle? Because all I see is dump in's with zero zone time for pretty much any time the bottom 2 lines are on the ice, except for may be a shift here or there.

Look I know I'm fighting an uphill battle because he was traded, and it's the cool thing to do to **** on players Shero gets rid of.

Tanner Glass and Craig Adams don't "cough up the puck every single time a defenseman gets on them." I know I'm breaking cardinal rules saying they can do something.

Tanner Glass played a handful of shifts with Malkin last year and could actually win battles along the boards, he just couldn't do anything after that but give it away. If Tangradi could use his size effectively he'd be a great third wheel in the bottom six, but he couldn't. It has nothing to do with crapping on ex Penguins, he just wasn't a good player.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Tanner Glass and Craig Adams don't "cough up the puck every single time a defenseman gets on them." I know I'm breaking cardinal rules saying they can do something.

Tanner Glass played a handful of shifts with Malkin last year and could actually win battles along the boards, he just couldn't do anything after that but give it away. If Tangradi could use his size effectively he'd be a great third wheel in the bottom six, but he couldn't. It has nothing to do with crapping on ex Penguins, he just wasn't a good player.

That's just flat out wrong. Knocking somebody over after you dump a puck in or when a defenseman moves the puck isn't the same thing as "winning a board battle."

Fire Shero*

Can we please never mention Caputi and Tangradi around these parts.

All of these players mentioned are ******. It's not like the pens are developing good nhl players who just can't play well here. They can't draft and most of the young forwards until have been pathetic. It has nothin to do with developing. You can't develop ****** players into good players. This is all
Shero's fault. Disco can't develop untaleted hacks.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
That's just flat out wrong. Knocking somebody over after you dump a puck in or when a defenseman moves the puck isn't the same thing as "winning a board battle."

Which is why I said nothing about either. We have a garbage 4th line who never gains possession, when someone like Glass who is part of that, can actually win board battles with talented players who gain possession you have something Tangradi wasn't capable of.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Which is why I said nothing about either. We have a garbage 4th line who never gains possession, when someone like Glass who is part of that, can actually win board battles with talented players who gain possession you have something Tangradi wasn't capable of.

Except Glass doesn't do that either. Which is why you're wrong.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
lolwut

"#FireEveryone"

o ok

I don't think this is a rational response to what I posted.

What part of my post did you disagree with, and why, if I could ask?

I just don't believe D. Jeffrey is a good hockey player. This waiving might be indicative of a poor organizational mindset regarding young players, but I believe the move (viewed in a vacuum) is not, objectively speaking, a poor one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad