Dallas Stars 2014 Prospect Development Camp: July 7th - 13th

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I didn't get a roster until the session was half over so other than Honka and Gemel Smith I didn't know who anybody was.

Honka is pretty agile out there and he gets up to speed pretty quick. I was impressed with Makela. He seemed to make some nice moves and just looked really natural out there.

Nobody really stuck out to me in any noticeable way but the makeup of the group as a whole is solid.

i have to agree that collectively, the group seems pretty darn good. i didn't notice any players that really didn't belong.

regarding not knowing who was who, it is a good experiment to simply observe a group of players like this and see who ends up standing out. with the anonymity of just numbers on the backs of jerseys, are hyped up guys like dickinson and honka that much more noticeable than the local dfw kids? the noticeable guy for me was #42...

... i was pleasantly surprised that indeed was vance. his skating is miles better than what i remembered last time. he showed consistently aggressive and efficient strides, received and dished out passes with a sense of purpose, and generally seemed like a leader out there. he, along with other prospect camp "veterans" (e.g. molin and smith) looked the most comfortable to me.

#50 niklas hansson has this crazy quick shot (can't really classify it as a wrister or a snapper) that just happens in the middle of a stickhandle. he tried it a couple of times.

#59 emil molin continues to be my personal favorite. he again showcased his ability slow the game down, buy time, and create space.

#40 julius honka came as advertised. couldn't tell much difference in his shot or passing, but his hands and skating are at a different level.

#64 jacob fallon showed some nice hands in tight around the net a couple of times.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
regarding not knowing who was who, it is a good experiment to simply observe a group of players like this and see who ends up standing out. with the anonymity of just numbers on the backs of jerseys, are hyped up guys like dickinson and honka that much more noticeable than the local dfw kids? the noticeable guy for me was #42...

I know what you mean. When I came in and didn't see a roster anywhere (it was all season ticket stuff) I didn't bother with it and just watched the group.

You mentioned Hansson. I liked what I saw from him too. A few of the guys had good shots and he was one of them.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
What times would there be an actual scrimmage? Today at 1:30? Sat at 3?

Don't know what "skills session" means and will go if I know when the scrimmage is.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Niklas Hansson continues to impress me as does Remi Elie.

Top 5 most notable skaters according to me:

Honka
Dickinson
Hansson
Elie
Shore

Creamy

Jul 10, 2014
How has Mäkelä (#51) been doing? Had tough last season because of the unfortunate injury last fall. He played well in spring 2013 against men in FEL and I waited 13-14 season to be a breakthrough year for him. Just wondering could this be the year for him with Ilves.

MetalGodAOD*

...I want to say she was going to say "Hockey East" or hockey in the NCAA but who knows.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Is there a roster with numbers available online, I keep finding the one without the numbers

BsHbdz8CcAAKq4H.jpg

Here ya go. Thank my insomnia.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Glove,

Vance starts the year in Cedar Park or goes to the ECHL?

Also what's your impression of Ully?

I'm no expert by any stretch but my guess is Vance starts the year in the ECHL unless CP is short on D (which I don't think is going to be the case). He was always going to be a project but if they start him down low in the minors and let him get as many minutes as possible that would be better than getting token minutes or rotating as a healthy scratch in the AHL.

Ully has looked alright when I've made it a point to look at him. He hasn't stood out much to me when I've just sort of stopped looking for numbers and letting players stand out by their play. By comparison, Remi Elie has been way more noticeable to me.

How has Mäkelä (#51) been doing? Had tough last season because of the unfortunate injury last fall. He played well in spring 2013 against men in FEL and I waited 13-14 season to be a breakthrough year for him. Just wondering could this be the year for him with Ilves.

I mentioned it yesterday but I've liked what I've seen from him. At least in the drills and stuff he seems to have some pretty good puck skills and a good shot.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Shore has a receding hairline before he's legal to drink haha. Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to our very own future Ryan Getzlaf. :)

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
For those who have gone, if I go tomorrow, what is the better time to see the scrimmage type activities in the videos?

On Ice session at noon?
Or skills competition at 3.30?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
For those who have gone, if I go tomorrow, what is the better time to see the scrimmage type activities in the videos?

On Ice session at noon?
Or skills competition at 3.30?

Do you mean the on ice session from 11-noon?

I would be surprised if the scrimmage isn't during the later afternoon session. The lunchtime session is probably going to be more drills and stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad