Dallas opens season after COVID delay, lets fans in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
We’ve had 2,000 or so fans spread out (18,000+ arena) in our first two games. No worse than going out to your local grocery/convenient/fast food store.

Did you see how packed the AFC game was yesterday?
I have never seen 2,000 people at one time at my local grocery store, convenient store or fast food locations. Capacity right now at the Stars games are around 4k per game not 2k.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Just a reminder that this is a thread about Dallas having fans at its games.

For general discussions about Covid, please use the appropriate subforum or go in your board Covid thread as appropriate.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I have never seen 2,000 people at one time at my local grocery store, convenient store or fast food locations. Capacity right now at the Stars games are around 4k per game not 2k.
Well I’m sure those stores aren’t as big as a sports arena. 4K is still under 25% capacity so I don’t see any foul. NHL also needs the small amount it’s getting from some fans attending as well.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Well I’m sure those stores aren’t as big as a sports arena. 4K is still under 25% capacity so I don’t see any foul. NHL also needs the small amount it’s getting from some fans attending as well.
4k is fine based off the full capacity of the arena. I am not planning on going to any games until we have a better handle on COVID simply for the fact is i don't trust the cleaning crews to be efficient in their jobs. Then you have to trust the fans to not sneeze or rub their funk on something i would touch. It is just to much of a cesspool right now to be going to organized sporting events that are inside. I mean people can do what they want but this is what im doing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
For the record, I don't care that Dallas had fans in the building. I started the thread only because it seemed curious to me in light of their COVID issues and I wanted to hear what others thought. I'm not "outraged" by it as a few people have suggested, though I did wonder if others might be. It just seemed like it might be an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
4k is fine based off the full capacity of the arena. I am not planning on going to any games until we have a better handle on COVID simply for the fact is i don't trust the cleaning crews to be efficient in their jobs. Then you have to trust the fans to not sneeze or rub their funk on something i would touch. It is just to much of a cesspool right now to be going to organized sporting events that are inside. I mean people can do what they want but this is what im doing.

i wish more people had this perspective. i'm in the same place, but sure can't wait to get back to a stars game!

Reactions: BeastMode

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
Did you not see how spread out the fans were? All we’re wearing masks as well. More likely to catch COVID while making a trip to the grocery store lmao

Reactions: Mr Positive

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Did you not see how spread out the fans were? All we’re wearing masks as well. More likely to catch COVID while making a trip to the grocery store lmao
Spread out in the seats does not equate to spread out in the common areas, gift shops or bars. My brother went last night and he stated the exact same thing.

Reactions: Miro Heineken

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There are countless instances of limited crowds being allowed at events of all types pretty much worldwide (with some obvious exceptions) for quite a long time now. It's time for people to stop kidding themselves and worrying about "optics".
That would be a perfect argument if our hospitals weren't overwhelmed -- pretty much across the nation.

We've done a shitty job dealing with this pandemic. Sometimes optics matter -- because they show others that the same rules apply to everyone and everyone is pitching in to do their part.

Reactions: Miro Heineken

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Then you aren't getting out as much.

Hundreds of people are going in and out of stores, not socially distancing because they think they're socks on their face is more effective than staying away from each other
And for whatever reason you think going to a game spread out is worse?

Common sense on this virus has gone out the window big time.

If you're going to complain about the game, complain about everything else that's going on too

Probably get mad people out for hikes with a out a mask on

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I mean people don’t really need a lot of the home supplies at Home Depot. Nor do they need a lot of what is at Costco. If those places closed off shopping on anything non-essential then your point might have more weight.

At the end of the day, people want some entertainment to stay mentally healthy. What that is differs from person to person. If someone wants to shop at Costco for a new large screen TV or go to Home Depot from gardening supplies then go for it. It’s your call. If you choose to go to a hockey game then it’s also your call. I don’t think any person should dictate what another person should do. If you want to mitigate your risk then that’s fine but I don’t think the OP’s point is too far out there.

Are you that involved in rugged individualism where you wouldn’t want the common good for everyone? Like, i don’t know, maybe not allow fans to attend a hockey game, when you can easily watch at home? Proper mental health practices can be experienced in smart ways, something I’d say this lacks. We’re in a pandemic for god sakes. This is partly why over 400.000 of your people have passed. Let me remind you that’s around 20% of the world’s coronadeaths.

edit: do what you want as Americans, but 450,000 people dying is the result of these poor decisions after poor decisions, something the country will have to live with

Last edited:

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Are you that involved in rugged individualism where you wouldn’t want the common good for everyone? Like, i don’t know, maybe not allow fans to attend a hockey game, when you can easily watch at home? We’re in a pandemic for god sakes. This is partly why over 400.000 of your people have passed.

Well firstly, I’m not American. Secondly, I never stated if I would go to a hockey game. Thirdly, my reply was regarding the notion that going to Home Depot or Costco is vastly different than going to a hockey game. It’s naive to think that individualism isn’t a major factor in the spread of COVID, I’m simply being realistic that people should take calculated risks using their own criteria. My point is that everyone is allowed to make their own choices. If you don’t want to go to Costco because there’s too many people; use instacart. If you don’t want to go a hockey game then stay at home. If you’re scared to go anywhere and do anything and you’re mentally fine with it more power to you.

You seem to be on a soapbox and dictating what you deem acceptable during a pandemic. Just stay home and watch hockey on TV. It’s a non-issue.

edit: criticizing my notion of individualism yet stating “your” people. Some mental gymnastics going on.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
As long as our infection, hospitalization, and death rates continue to soar I’ll stand by my view that allowing fans to attend a hockey game is the true definition of ignorance.

Dallas has played 1 game this season, while most NHL teams have played 6 or 7. We know why that is, right?

Having fans attend the very first game Dallas has managed to be eligible to play this season is simply tone deaf. With a capital T and D.

None of what you just said excuses you insinuating that you'd like to see good people suffer and die just because you have prejudice towards them. Talk about tone deaf.

It's fine that you disagree with Dallas having fans at the game. The fact that you feel that you can freely, openly, and without consequence dehumanize and wish something terrible on people who did nothing to deserve it is indicative of your own hate and bias as well the complicit nature of the mods who allow it. We'll only continue to see warnings every time the people being baselessly insulted stand up for themselves.

I'll stand by my view that such hateful and divisive statements are only made by ignorant trash.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Well firstly, I’m not American. Secondly, I never stated if I would go to a hockey game. Thirdly, my reply was regarding the notion that going to Home Depot or Costco is vastly different than going to a hockey game. It’s naive to think that individualism isn’t a major factor in the spread of COVID, I’m simply being realistic that people should take calculated risks using their own criteria. My point is that everyone is allowed to make their own choices. If you don’t want to go to Costco because there’s too many people; use instacart. If you don’t want to go a hockey game then stay at home. If you’re scared to go anywhere and do anything and you’re mentally fine with it more power to you.

You seem to be on a soapbox and dictating what you deem acceptable during a pandemic. Just stay home and watch hockey on TV. It’s a non-issue.

Well, it’s not just me dictating. Most of the world has determined shutting down is an effective way of handling the virus. Well, except a few countries, and the numbers haven’t fared well. Ignorance is not bliss.

Either way, shouldn’t have assumed you were American. My apologies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
None of what you just said excuses you insinuating that you'd like to see good people suffer and die just because you have prejudice towards them. Talk about tone deaf.

It's fine that you disagree with Dallas having fans at the game. The fact that you feel that you can freely, openly, and without consequence dehumanize and wish something terrible on people who did nothing to deserve it is indicative of your own hate and bias as well the complicit nature of the mods who allow it. We'll only continue to see warnings every time the people being baselessly insulted stand up for themselves.

I'll stand by my view that such hateful and divisive statements are only made by ignorant trash.
I never dehumanized or wished something terrible on anyone and you know it. I’m also not espousing hate, either. How ridiculous.

We need leadership and sacrifice from every citizen. Every citizen.

Decisions regarding everyone’s safety (masks, social distancing, and avoiding unnecessary public gatherings) is needed from all. Not some.

If one healthcare professional has to treat (and be exposed to) person because someone wants to attend a hockey game in the short term it’s one too many. Let alone a hospital bed being taken as a result of a personal choice — as opposed to being used by someone who needed it because they had no choice in the matter.

Lousy decisions being made by leadership ALL over this country. A tiny fraction of the global population, yet 20% of deaths.

Perhaps you’ve not had a loved one lost due to this pandemic. If so, good for you.....may it continue. A sincere wish.

In the meantime ease up on the outrage, and encourage EVERYONE to do the right thing so we ALL can get out of this alive.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Well, it’s not just me dictating. Most of the world has determined shutting down is an effective way of handling the virus. Well, except a few countries, and the numbers haven’t fared well.

Look, I agree with you. I live in Atlantic Canada and they’ve basically said to everyone else to “stay out” and for us to “stay home”. And I’m happy they did it. But the fact of the matter is that the certain teams have allowed fans into the games. I’m not going to criticize someone for going to a hockey game when it’s perhaps the only thing they really enjoy and don’t do much else.

Now should fans be allowed into the games at all? Maybe not. But then I would have to argue that anything non-essential should be off limits and economically speaking that doesn’t seem feasible. I personally believe in implementing strict restrictions and guidelines for these things to make it as safe as possible for those who wish to attend.

All I was trying to say was a poster commented on the idea of “essential”. Yes we may need home supplies and we definitely need food but these stores aren’t blocking off anything non-essential, and there’s ways around grocery shopping that isn’t heading into your local Costco. There’s other options than heading into these places.

To me, it’s unfair to say it’s okay to go into Home Depot to buy gardening tools because you enjoy gardening but in the same breath it’s not OK to go to a hockey game. Everyone chooses their own levels of comfort and, to me, that’s OK.

Last edited:

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
It's been said before, but this really has been a great thread for finding out who to use my ignore button on. :laugh:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Well, it’s not just me dictating. Most of the world has determined shutting down is an effective way of handling the virus. Well, except a few countries, and the numbers haven’t fared well. Ignorance is not bliss.

Either way, shouldn’t have assumed you were American. My apologies.

The best way to put millions of people into poverty you mean

If you care so much you should care about everyone, not just the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad