Dallas opens season after COVID delay, lets fans in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I was in no way acting like it a noble pursuit. I know firsthand there are plenty of people doing shopping that is hardly essential, not social distancing, not wearing masks properly, but realistically how do you determine what is truly essential to a household and what can wait?

Whereas at a hockey game none of it is essential.
obviously i'm not going to change your mind on this but i don't care about arbitrary essential or nonessential classification if precautions are taken(spacing out/limited access) and PPE is required

that's the standard for operation everywhere else, i don't feel it should be any different here

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
what does one have to do with the other?

Well people are saying, fans shouldn't be allowed in the rink because of the potential spread of COVID? No?

So if that is your argument, then you should also believe that the NHL shouldn't be operating because of the potential spread of COVID?

NHL Players traveling around the country, going on planes with flight attendants, going on planes with pilots, going to hotels with hotel staff, going into arenas with workers, having refs travel around, having NHL stats guys go into work..

Seems like a lot of potential for spread of COVID?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Well people are saying, fans shouldn't be allowed in the rink because of the potential spread of COVID? No?

So if that is your argument, then you should also believe that the NHL shouldn't be operating because of the potential spread of COVID?

NHL Players traveling around the country, going on planes with flight attendants, going on planes with pilots, going to hotels with hotel staff, going into arenas with workers, having refs travel around, having NHL stats guys go into work..

and strict precautionary measures are being taken every step of the way to limit the risk. the league isn't operating as it was pre-pandemic and we all know that

not to mention players and team staff are being tested daily as well as contact tracing

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
and strict precautionary measures are being taken every step of the way to limit the risk. the league isn't operating as it was pre-pandemic and we all know that

not to mention players and team staff are being tested daily as well as contact tracing

And strict and precautionary measures are being taken every step of the way for fans in the stands.

You can read about them here:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
And strict and precautionary measures are being taken every step of the way for fans in the stands.

i posted above that the issue isn't watching the game. when fans are spaced out far enough and arena staff is actually enforcing the mask rules, it's not really a problem

the problem arises when people are exiting the arena and bottleneck occurs. if a solution has been put forward to keep that from happening, then there really isn't much risk in going to an arena where strict capacity limits, mask wearing, and social distancing are being enforced

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

In one scenario - league operating - people at risk are those who get a paycheck out of it and the pool is far smaller, in the other the pool widens significantly and people at risk are there for the entertainment. Not that hard to tell the difference.

Reactions: Miro Heineken

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
i posted above that the issue isn't watching the game. when fans are spaced out far enough and arena staff is actually enforcing the mask rules, it's not really a problem

the problem arises when people are exiting the arena and bottleneck occurs. if a solution has been put forward to keep that from happening, then there really isn't much risk in going to an arena where strict capacity limits, mask wearing, and social distancing are being enforced
Yeah, don’t be a chucklehead and join a bottlenecked area. Perhaps they are able to figure out to hang back and stay spaced out from others. Don’t get on escalator until people in front of you have already moved away a “safe” distance. Plenty of room in a 20k seat arena for 5k to stay distanced.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I dunno. Dallas had 17 players in COVID protocol and every game of theirs was postponed until tonight. Does it seem a little strange and look bad for them (of all teams) to be letting fans in the building when other teams still aren't? Are they not taking it seriously or is there nothing to see here? What say you?

NSHDAL.jpg
Nope. Good on them for allowing some socially distanced fans in. All teams should be.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I didn't mean it like that (transmission between fans and players). I just meant it in an optics way and how seriously Dallas management is taking the pandemic. For example, could taking it less seriously than many other teams possibly be why the team had the major problem that it did? I also know that other teams are going to be letting fans into buildings soon, too, but it just seems strange that Dallas is the first (that I know of), considering.

I think you're seeing things that aren't really there. It's a massive stadium with barely any fans. It's fine.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As a Stars season ticket holder, I opted out of going to games this year. Turns out, 92% of Stars fans opted in. For the lower deck, that was too many, so those who wanted the full season only got 14 games. There are far fewer upper deck STH, so they got all 27 games.

They also relieved the congestion somewhat by offering discounted suites (about $30K for 28 games for offensive end suites) to STH with long standing. A friend of mine took that deal, and asked me to go to his suite. First one free, LOL, then I have to pay the going rate for 2 of his 8 seats, which turns out to be $260 at the discounted suite rate.

There was little social distancing in the line to get in, which was slowed down by security procedures (as my wife found out when they said no handbags for ladies, they meant it....more than one woman had to run back to their cars in the parking lot.

There was little social distancing at the Platinum Level bar and long lines.

At 7-0, we left early and there were no bottlenecks leaving, at least this game.

Even in the suites, only the left half of the aisle could be occupied, so there was some lateral spacing between each suite. That left me only to trust who I was in the suite with, and we were actually the only couple to go down to the seats to watch, the rest stayed up in the group area, eating and drinking, so contact was, ah..., limited.

Overall, I felt safe, but not totally safe, so I probably won't go to too many more, even if offered those seats for free again.

Lastly, and I haven't checked this out, I was told I was an idiot for not opting in, since the demand for Stars tickets on Stub Hub drove prices up, especially for Hawks, Wings, etc. I could (they said) have paid for this season and next by simply keeping my seats and selling them off. I did look, and the seats just above mine were occupied, so one of them or me would probably have had to move.

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
There are now over 420,000 dead from covid in the US in a single year.

People need groceries, home supplies, etc. They do not need to gather to watch entertainment like hockey games.

Comparing attending a hockey game to going to costco is false equivalency. It's all about mitigating risk.

I mean people don’t really need a lot of the home supplies at Home Depot. Nor do they need a lot of what is at Costco. If those places closed off shopping on anything non-essential then your point might have more weight.

At the end of the day, people want some entertainment to stay mentally healthy. What that is differs from person to person. If someone wants to shop at Costco for a new large screen TV or go to Home Depot from gardening supplies then go for it. It’s your call. If you choose to go to a hockey game then it’s also your call. I don’t think any person should dictate what another person should do. If you want to mitigate your risk then that’s fine but I don’t think the OP’s point is too far out there.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
What would make you totally safe? You're probably no more safer going to a grocery story.

My take on life isn't black and white like so much online or political debate. More gray. To me, most decisions are about percentages of something good or bad happening.

So, I understand it's pretty random to catch it, and don't avoid all activity. That may reduce but not eliminate my chances when I go to the gym (picked the furthest corner cycle this morning, and the one guy who doesn't mask takes the closest one, etc.) And, probably someone who is sick, but really needs groceries and can't afford delivery, etc. is probably more likely to be in a store than at a hockey game.

And, the direct answer to your question would be if the AAC took everyone's temperature, which raises the 1% odds to (guessing) 0.1% odds of catching it.

But a lot of factors go into any one decision, not the least of which is paying over $500 for two seats to a completely voluntary event here in Texas, where the anti maskers seem to be in higher proportion than other places. I'll save the money and stay home, watching on my HD large screen TV.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Let's mitigate the risk and cancel the season then.

It's funny how people are so angry about fans in the arena, but have no issue with the league operating.

Mitigate the risk and keep the refs at home, keep the NHL staff at home, stop the interaction between all arena workers and ice crew. Right?

I'm cool with canceling the season.

I was against them having the playoffs last season.

So now what?

Reactions: Miro Heineken

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
It shouldn’t be happening but covid is spreading so much in the US it’s hard to act like social distanced hockey games would make a meaningful contribution if they stopped.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
We’ve had 2,000 or so fans spread out (18,000+ arena) in our first two games. No worse than going out to your local grocery/convenient/fast food store.

Did you see how packed the AFC game was yesterday?

Reactions: HugginThePost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad