Speculation: Dallas in the market for a bottom-pairing LHD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leaving aside the question about Janmark fitting the bill, I think the trouble is the Pens have gotta move on Brassard sooner rather than later. Another 2 months of him playing well below his standards is going to kill any value for him.

Ideally this goes down like Perron for Hagelin. Rutherford admitted his mistake there and traded a more talented guy for a less talented role player that was just a better fit. And both teams benefited.

Yeah I agree entirely with this, but I'm not sure if Dallas has the pieces I'd want. A problem that the Penguins have is that they just have a lot of NHL bodies, when they need to get better players. I doubt they'd waive their dead weight and bring in the upgrades needed, that's my concern.

The interesting thing is that the Stars are deep at center and the Penguins are deep at LD, so I could see a match here. I think the problem is the only defensemen that the Stars would want is probably Maatta (since they traded Oleksiak and Johnson has a bad contract), and the center the Penguins would want for Maatta is Faksa, which I imagine is an immediate no from Dallas. You can expand it to Maatta and Brassard for Faksa+, but then you're running into some cap problems from Maatta and Brassard costing $7 million. I'm also not sure what Dallas could add on top of Faksa that would get me to bite on a Maatta and Brassard package.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Jonathan Ericsson (4.25M) + BUF 5th for Gemel Smith (0.72M) and Marc Methot (4.9M).

Detroit saves a year of Ericsson plus reunites Smith with his brother, Methot might not play for a while. Dallas gets a dependable #5 or #6 D and a pick.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Despite dressing half the defensive lineup AHL guys we're a top5 defense. I don't think we're throwing away assets to get someone. Klingberg and Carrick will come back soon enough , Bayreuther looks like he belongs in the NHL anyway and somehow Polak has been solid enough for ~20 ish minutes a night. A bit unsure whats up with Methot and Johns and if they return at all.

Defense has not been a problem.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Jonathan Ericsson (4.25M) + BUF 5th for Gemel Smith (0.72M) and Marc Methot (4.9M).

Detroit saves a year of Ericsson plus reunites Smith with his brother, Methot might not play for a while. Dallas gets a dependable #5 or #6 D and a pick.

I don't think Gemel and Brendan are brothers. :laugh:

You're thinking of Reilly.

EDIT: Nvm, didn't realize Gemel actually has a brother in the Wings system. Small world, eh?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

EDIT: Nvm, didn't realize Gemel actually has a brother in the Wings system. Small world, eh?

No worries, almost nobody knows about Givani Smith yet, he's going to be a pest (in the AHL, for now anyways).

Reactions: Adityase

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Our defense and goaltending is top 10 in the league. Top 5 in certain aspects. No need to make a trade.

Despite dressing half the defensive lineup AHL guys we're a top5 defense. I don't think we're throwing away assets to get someone. Klingberg and Carrick will come back soon enough , Bayreuther looks like he belongs in the NHL anyway and somehow Polak has been solid enough for ~20 ish minutes a night. A bit unsure whats up with Methot and Johns and if they return at all.

Defense has not been a problem.

And their scoring has been bipolar and one sided all season. We complained about not having a top 6 winger, but the real problem is the forwards having to constantly bail out the defense so they can make a play to get up ice. I get the whole team work thing is good, but the defense has been giving away pucks like mad.

Carrick won't be more than a 7D most likely, and Honka seems to be on the outs with yet another coaching staff. I like Bayreuther but he still needs some work in the defensive end.

I still like the idea of picking up Oleksiak or Maatta or finding another team willing to take Honka+forward body who isn't working for their slightly older, signed, maybe more expensive bottom pair LHD.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

You realize Brenden Smith isnt in Detroit anymore right?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Also can we just close this up? Defence is the last of our worries right now. The numbers are outstanding considering the players we are icing and our D will get better when players get healthy. The last thing we need to do is trade someone like Methot for an extra year of a bad contract in exchange for a mid round pick

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
speaking of Brendan Smith ... Smith with some retained for Ritchie and Nyberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad