Speculation: Dallas in the market for a bottom-pairing LHD

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd laugh if Dallas targeted Alzner, considering he was just on waivers. Wouldn't be the first time, though.....see Carrick, Connor.

Not claiming him on waivers then trading for him would be to lower his cap. MTL can retain on a trade.

Also Sean Shapiro, Dallas beat writer, is saying he has no knowledge of Dallas being in any D let alone Alzner

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Detroit should not be retaining right now, they're in a rebuild and can just ride his contract out.

But it does empty up a roster spot for a Griffins prospect

Detroit being in a rebuild is exactly why they should eat 1 season of Ericsson @ 50% to maximize their potential return

Cap space is meaningless if you're not competitive

Reactions: Adityase

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Zucc+Smith (50%)
For
Hanzal+1st (lottery protected)+Tufte

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Given that the Pens have now acquired an 8th D (9 when Schultz comes off IR), and 6 of them are LHD, there should be a deal to be made here.

On the trade block for the Pens:
Major Assets
Brassard
Maatta
Rust
Jack Johnson

Minor Pieces
Simon
Sheahan
Aston- Reese
Oleksiak
Ruhwedel
Pettersson

We are looking for RHD (Honka), a top 9 LW (Nuke?), 3C to replace Brassard (Shore?). Lets make a deal.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Given that the Pens have now acquired an 8th D (9 when Schultz comes off IR), and 6 of them are LHD, there should be a deal to be made here.

On the trade block for the Pens:
Major Assets
Brassard
Maatta
Rust
Jack Johnson

Minor Pieces
Simon
Sheahan
Aston- Reese
Oleksiak
Ruhwedel
Pettersson

We are looking for RHD (Honka), a top 9 LW (Nuke?), 3C to replace Brassard (Shore?). Lets make a deal.

I have this really bad feeling they'd both (Val and Honka) turn their careers around and be amazing in Pittsburgh lol. Shore I doubt is available though. He's having a good year for us and is definitely one of our better depth options

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Done, all the way. Gives the Pens what they need (an injection of youth, and a puck mover on the backend) and could give Dallas the horses to get them deep in the playoffs (size in Big Rig and a ton of experience in Brass), plus Sprong to boot losing some of that youth.

Would you be looking to slot Brass in at 2C?

Of course. I would hoping Pittsburgh would throw in a 3rd or 2nd or something else, perhaps conditional on whatever the Stars expect out of trading for Brassard. Especially considering he's a UFA and we're giving up 3 RFAs.

Because that's a bad deal for the Penguins :laugh:

If we're talking Maatta, I'd want to be talking Shore, not Nichushkin.

Honestly I'd rather move Dickinson before Shore if we're talking Maatta, but this is how negotiations are done. I don't think the Stars need or want Maatta for ice time competition. If the Pens are super down on Maatta, then sure but he's playing more the Oleksiak.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I liked his play in Syracuse, but he has not shown the same style in Tampa. With the progress of Cernak, Koekkoek is expendable and looking for a new jersey to get a fresh start. Should be able to come in to Dallas as a 5-7, just dont expect him to set the world on fire until he gets his confidence and "wind" back through ice time during games. Young and talented enough to make a trade offer that benefits both organizations.

Koekkoek is by no means untouchable and at this point I think he likely needs a fresh start with a new organization to reach his potential. But at the same time he represents cheap defensive depth which will be our greatest need next season, and his value at the moment is such that I’m not sure what another team would realistically offer us that would be of more use to us than having Koekkoek around next season to compete for the 3LD spot or to serve as our 7D. Cernak may have passed Koekkoek by but Masin has done nothing to show that he’s ready to do the same, we don’t know if we’ll be able to bring Coburn back or an outside LD in on a cheap one-year deal, and even if one of those two things happens we’ll still need someone on as cheap a deal as possible to sit in the pressbox until needed. So unless we’re trading Koekkoek for a similar defensive reclamation project on a similarly cheap deal, I’m not sure why we’d look to move him.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
We don't want any of your garbage defenseman. Pagnotta is a joke and the new Eklund. Stars' insider say they know nothing of us trading for a D.

Close it up.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
This can’t be true. I find it hard to believe Jim Nill is this stupid. It’s called scoring. Defense is to my surprise not the problem. How about you go out and get some one who can score. Not a trash bottom pairing Dman.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I have this really bad feeling they'd both (Val and Honka) turn their careers around and be amazing in Pittsburgh lol. Shore I doubt is available though. He's having a good year for us and is definitely one of our better depth options

Honka, perhaps.
Val, no way. If you can't shoot nor think the game well enough, you'll not succeed as a top-six forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: