Speculation: Dallas in the market for a bottom-pairing LHD

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I would assume this means Methot and Johns are unlikely to be regulars again this year.

That leaves us with, when healthy: Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell, and Polak. I would hope Bayreuther has cemented a spot on the team. If we add a bottom pairing LHD, then our top 6 is set. Methot or Johns returning is just gravy. Carrick likely stays as the 7D all season.

My issue is neither of those names seem like big improvements on Carrick, if at all. They better be very cheap asset-wise if we’re gonna make a move.

I'm really not 100% sure what to make of this news.

Reactions: Crocoduck

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Slater Koekkoek?

How has he panned out recently? I remember him being a surprise pick at the draft, then getting a lot of hype, but that seems to have died down in the past couple of years.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I would hazard a guess that Dallas wants a stronger penalty killer defenseman going forward. Anyone trying to get rid of one of those?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As a somewhat weird suggestion, would you want Oleksiak back? Oleksiak has played well since getting a full time spot, but it's redundant to have both Oleksiak and Johnson on the same team and the Penguins really need some help with puck moving on defense. They need to move one of their current defensemen to have a spot for that, though. It's either Johnson (probably can't trade), Maatta (shouldn't trade) or Oleksiak, and it's really easy for which one they should move of those 3.

I was thinking about an Oleksiak and Sprong for Honka and Nichushkin deal, since I saw that Nuke wasn't doing too well this year, but I dismissed that idea because I wouldn't think Dallas would want Oleksiak back. If they're looking for a bottom pair LD, they may actually be open to reacquiring him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like a bottom pairing LHD would be just about the easiest type of player to find?

Reactions: dats81

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
As a somewhat weird suggestion, would you want Oleksiak back? Oleksiak has played well since getting a full time spot, but it's redundant to have both Oleksiak and Johnson on the same team and the Penguins really need some help with puck moving on defense. They need to move one of their current defensemen to have a spot for that, though. It's either Johnson (probably can't trade), Maatta (shouldn't trade) or Oleksiak, and it's really easy for which one they should move of those 3.

I was thinking about an Oleksiak and Sprong for Honka and Nichushkin deal, since I saw that Nuke wasn't doing too well this year, but I dismissed that idea because I wouldn't think Dallas would want Oleksiak back. If they're looking for a bottom pair LD, they may actually be open to reacquiring him.

I like it. How about we got a step further and say, Oleksiak, Sprong, Brassard and some sprinkles for Honka, Nichushkin and Janmark?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Boston has auditioned all of theirs for your perusal.

Like all of them. Including several I believe from their ball hockey program

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I would assume this means Methot and Johns are unlikely to be regulars again this year.

That leaves us with, when healthy: Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell, and Polak. I would hope Bayreuther has cemented a spot on the team. If we add a bottom pairing LHD, then our top 6 is set. Methot or Johns returning is just gravy. Carrick likely stays as the 7D all season.

My issue is neither of those names seem like big improvements on Carrick, if at all. They better be very cheap asset-wise if we’re gonna make a move.

I'm really not 100% sure what to make of this news.

Is Honka a total nonfactor at this point?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
How has he panned out recently? I remember him being a surprise pick at the draft, then getting a lot of hype, but that seems to have died down in the past couple of years.

I liked his play in Syracuse, but he has not shown the same style in Tampa. With the progress of Cernak, Koekkoek is expendable and looking for a new jersey to get a fresh start. Should be able to come in to Dallas as a 5-7, just dont expect him to set the world on fire until he gets his confidence and "wind" back through ice time during games. Young and talented enough to make a trade offer that benefits both organizations.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like it. How about we got a step further and say, Oleksiak, Sprong, Brassard and some sprinkles for Honka, Nichushkin and Janmark?

The Penguins would need a center coming back if they're trading Brassard, so I don't think expanding it to include Brassard and Janmark would work. If Janmark can play center, that may change things, but it was my understanding that he was primarily a winger. It's the same with Shore, but if either of those two can play center regularly, I think that changes things.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
The Penguins would need a center coming back if they're trading Brassard, so I don't think expanding it to include Brassard and Janmark would work. If Janmark can play center, that may change things, but it was my understanding that he was primarily a winger. It's the same with Shore, but if either of those two can play center regularly, I think that changes things.

Well he's listed on capfriendly as a center, can I am pretty sure he can and has played center, but I'd say that is FO prowess is lacking. Shore is definitely a center sent to the wings because we have too many, and Shore's off the table unless you're giving us something valuable. I was looking as the Brassard rumor thread and went, oh this would be a good move for Dallas because they have umpteen billion guys who can play 3c.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008

I can't see Nill taking Oleksiak back, especially since he gave him away for a lost pick.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Hes been fine when hes playing. We are just too deep on the left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00