Post-Game Talk: Dallas 6, Canucks 3. Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's mind boggling a relatively recent Predsident Trophy winning D can look so scrambled...
I hope it tightens up a little sooner than later.

There were a few positives to take away...

At least we aren't sitting on this game for 6 days before the next one.

losing Salo and Erhoff (and not replacing them) destroyed our defense in so many ways it hurts to think about.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
When you're down 5-0 two minutes into the 2nd period, people are going to lose their poop.

Don't understand the response. Doesn't matter really.

Panic? This was pretty much expected on my end. At least they don't give up like they did on Torts last year.

I thought you were referring to yourself losing your poop? Panic, don't panic, it's all the same.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Does anyone have the ice time distribution from last night? I am guessing that Henrik's was right up there just like last season. In Gallagher's article this morning I think he said Vey got something like 75% of his zone starts in the offensive zone and only won 33% of his face-offs. He looks good when he has the puck on his stuck but those numbers are pretty troubling. I really don't understand why Ducks fans liked Bonino so much. He seems so slow and invisible out there and not in a good way. He's good in the offensive zone, similar to Vey, but isn't instilling much confidence anywhere else on the ice.

arsmaster*

An "I told you so" 5 games into the season :laugh: I wouldn't expect any better from you.

Well, things playing out to how one predicted is a bit of an I told you so, so sure you got him there.

Why make excuses though? New players, new coach, new system....same team, players playing roles they aren't suited to.

I'm not going to sit here and excuse this team for playing the way they did. They were running around, giving up time and space all over the rink last night.

We lost to a good team, just as we did on Saturday.

You had to have known the "blind optimism" of a team that beat two Alberta teams and got to sit on an unbeaten record for a week was not realistically what we had in this team.

The tests are starting, and the team isn't up to the task. Reminds me of winning 9 in a row last december and then looking at the schedule after, we crumbled then when we were tasked with playing good teams.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I believe I read that we are currently 29th in FO% for the season; it certainly doesn't help when the other team is starting with the puck on the majority of the plays, regardless of the zone. We need a center capable of taking - and winning - a lot of faceoffs. I don't know if that's Horvat, or someone else.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Well, things playing out to how one predicted is a bit of an I told you so, so sure you got him there.

Why make excuses though? New players, new coach, new system....same team, players playing roles they aren't suited to.

I'm not going to sit here and excuse this team for playing the way they did. They were running around, giving up time and space all over the rink last night.

We lost to a good team, just as we did on Saturday.

You had to have known the "blind optimism" of a team that beat two Alberta teams and got to sit on an unbeaten record for a week was not realistically what we had in this team.

The tests are starting, and the team isn't up to the task. Reminds me of winning 9 in a row last december and then looking at the schedule after, we crumbled then when we were tasked with playing good teams.

You already decided what we had before the season started and you're using the first 5 games to confirm it. I wanted to see the team play before I decided... and I didn't mean 5 games.

I don't think I am making excuses for them. We're 5 games into the season and Bieksa and Hamhuis have largely been a disaster, especially the last two games. I don't expect the team to be able to overcome their best two defensemen playing like their worst. I don't expect it to continue, either.

I'll go on the record as liking what I see from Vey and Bonino. You can call it blind optimism if you want. Lets re-visit it every 10 games and see how they're making out.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Hey guys, I'm a Panthers fan. The Canucks have been my Western Conference team ever since Lu was originally traded to you guys. I don't think this game is as big as some here think. I thought there was a lot of bad puck luck. While there was clearly some issues with the goal tending and defense, I wouldn't freak out over one game. No need to be calling for McDavid. Some goalies just have off nights. Lu let in 6 goals in our home opener, and he's been playing fantastically ever since. I think you guys have a pretty good shot at the playoffs with this roster. Just my two cents.

arsmaster*

You already decided what we had before the season started and you're using the first 5 games to confirm it. I wanted to see the team play before I decided... and I didn't mean 5 games.

I don't think I am making excuses for them. We're 5 games into the season and Bieksa and Hamhuis have largely been a disaster, especially the last two games. I don't expect the team to be able to overcome their best two defensemen playing like their worst. I don't expect it to continue, either.

I'll go on the record as liking what I see from Vey and Bonino. You can call it blind optimism if you want. Lets re-visit it every 10 games and see how they're making out.

Let's do that. I did decide what we had prior to the season. It's playing out basically how I expected. A little flashier offensively, a little more "skill", but losing 6-2 and 4-2 is the same outcome as 2-1 and 3-2.

I too have liked Vey on the PP, I didn't bother to watch the game after 6-1 as I had previous commitments, but he apparently looked ok 5 on 5 last night.

I haven't been impressed with Bonino at all. Is exactly what I expected, a decently skilled C, with slow feet, that can make nice plays in the O-zone but gets eaten up 5 on 5. I had hopes he'd be the best player on his line, and for all the flack Burrows got last night, Bonino is still the weak link on that unit IMO.

Lundface*

I believe I read that we are currently 29th in FO% for the season; it certainly doesn't help when the other team is starting with the puck on the majority of the plays, regardless of the zone. We need a center capable of taking - and winning - a lot of faceoffs. I don't know if that's Horvat, or someone else.

It truly was a smart move to let Santorelli walk. Players that work hard every shift, win draws, score clutch goals, drive possession and can play on both ends of the rink are not useful to this team.

Having Santorelli in the 3c instead of Vey would alleviate a lot of the issues this team will encounter this season. The Sedin line will either get run down again being the only useful line on the team, or they will risk sending Vey out in his own end to get slaughtered by opposing teams.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Vey did look good at EV last night. The 4th line was humming along. So was the 3rd for that matter (which was which though?).

Shame that our best players let us down the last 2 games.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Hey guys, I'm a Panthers fan. The Canucks have been my Western Conference team ever since Lu was originally traded to you guys. I don't think this game is as big as some here think. I thought there was a lot of bad puck luck. While there was clearly some issues with the goal tending and defense, I wouldn't freak out over one game. No need to be calling for McDavid. Some goalies just have off nights. Lu let in 6 goals in our home opener, and he's been playing fantastically ever since. I think you guys have a pretty good shot at the playoffs with this roster. Just my two cents.

I agree. Saw some good things from the third and fourth lines. First line still looking good. Second line had some tough breaks. Hopefully a big bounce back game coming in St. Louis. Five games in I am not quite ready to dump on any one player or any one line. I am thinking though Kassian for the time being is right where he belongs. I like the speed and size of him and Matthias together.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Vey did look good at EV last night. The 4th line was humming along. So was the 3rd for that matter (which was which though?).

Shame that our best players let us down the last 2 games.

If you're referring to the top line letting us down that's laughable

The first line was 17-0 in shots yesterday

John Bender*

It truly was a smart move to let Santorelli walk. Players that work hard every shift, win draws, score clutch goals, drive possession and can play on both ends of the rink are not useful to this team.

Having Santorelli in the 3c instead of Vey would alleviate a lot of the issues this team will encounter this season. The Sedin line will either get run down again being the only useful line on the team, or they will risk sending Vey out in his own end to get slaughtered by opposing teams.

Mike Santorelli. The savior that the team let go.

No seriously, if Benning could have peddled Hansen for anything......just to get rid of his cap hit, Santorelli would look good in a bottom 6 role if he could play the wing. There are just too many Centre's on the team. Horvat, Vey, Bonino, Richardson, Matthias.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Let's do that. I did decide what we had prior to the season. It's playing out basically how I expected. A little flashier offensively, a little more "skill", but losing 6-2 and 4-2 is the same outcome as 2-1 and 3-2.

OK cool. I look forward to that.

I too have liked Vey on the PP, I didn't bother to watch the game after 6-1 as I had previous commitments, but he apparently looked ok 5 on 5 last night.

IMO Vey is going to be a good 5 on 5 player. He's committed defensively and he really supports the puck well. He's good at moving the play out of our zone when we get the puck back... he's not great at helping us get it back just yet.

I haven't been impressed with Bonino at all. Is exactly what I expected, a decently skilled C, with slow feet, that can make nice plays in the O-zone but gets eaten up 5 on 5. I had hopes he'd be the best player on his line, and for all the flack Burrows got last night, Bonino is still the weak link on that unit IMO.

Bonino doesn't skate well enough to be a great possession player at center. I don't think his nice plays are limited to the o-zone though. He's got a good stick defensively and makes the same kind of plays in traffic in our zone that he does in the o-zone. He's not a second line center on a contender but he's still a good player imo.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

We are.

Richardson: 53.7%
Sedin: 51.8% (110)
Bonino: 42.7% (89)
Matthias: 40.6% (32)
Vey: 36.1% (36)

Team: 45.7%

Vey absolutely needs to be pulled off center. He is abysmal, though Bonino is another problem. If Horvat shows early promise, I would honestly like to try him on the second line because we need to start winning draws. Additionally, I'd move Higgins to center just to see if he could adapt better than Vey or Matthias.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Bonino - Horvat - Burrows
Vey - Higgins - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen
Dorsett

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Mike Santorelli. The savior that the team let go.

No seriously, if Benning could have peddled Hansen for anything......just to get rid of his cap hit, Santorelli would look good in a bottom 6 role if he could play the wing. There are just too many Centre's on the team. Horvat, Vey, Bonino, Richardson, Matthias.

Too many centers doesn't matter if they aren't doing their jobs...

arsmaster*

We are.

Richardson: 53.7%
Sedin: 51.8% (110)
Bonino: 42.7% (89)
Matthias: 40.6% (32)
Vey: 36.1% (36)

Team: 45.7%

Vey absolutely needs to be pulled off center. He is abysmal, though Bonino is another problem. If Horvat shows early promise, I would honestly like to try him on the second line because we need to start winning draws. Additionally, I'd move Higgins to center just to see if he could adapt better than Vey or Matthias.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Bonino - Horvat - Burrows
Vey - Higgins - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen
Dorsett
I want to see Horvat with Higgins and Kassian.
Bonino-Vey-Burrows provides Bonino with a little more speed at his disposal and Burrows/Higgins can provide two way play and leadership to their younger more offensively slanted linemates.

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen is a solid 4th line.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I don't care if they don't like it, but Matthias and Vey should be playing on the wing. When you're that bad at faceoffs you shouldn't be playing center (unless maybe you have 1st line skills). If Vey wants to be an NHL center he needs to seriously improve at the draw, no good team would have him playing center.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I want to see Horvat with Higgins and Kassian.
Bonino-Vey-Burrows provides Bonino with a little more speed at his disposal and Burrows/Higgins can provide two way play and leadership to their younger more offensively slanted linemates.

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen is a solid 4th line.

Vey cannot play center. He's getting destroyed in the bottom six. Moving him up against the likes of Spezza, Kesler, Couture and Carter - we may as well just give those teams the puck to start any shift. I would like to see Horvat with Higgins and Kassian as well, but unless Bonino/Vey improve substantially at winning draws. It's just not a good idea.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't care if they don't like it, but Matthias and Vey should be playing on the wing. When you're that bad at faceoffs you shouldn't be playing center (unless maybe you have 1st line skills). If Vey wants to be an NHL center he needs to seriously improve at the draw, no good team would have him playing center.

Yahtzee.

It's unbelievable how far we've tumbled in faceoffs. The days of Henrik, Kesler, Malhotra and Lapierre all being +50% and being amongst the top teams in that category seem so long ago.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
losing Salo and Erhoff (and not replacing them) destroyed our defense in so many ways it hurts to think about.

we did replace them. with two guys who were holding down top pair minutes on florida. in retrospect (and maybe a lot of us knew it all the time too) not the best well to be tapping but one of those two guys was looking pretty good until torts came along. both, obviously, were in the end given away for nothing or less than nothing.

arsmaster*

Vey cannot play center. He's getting destroyed in the bottom six. Moving him up against the likes of Spezza, Kesler, Couture and Carter - we may as well just give those teams the puck to start any shift. I would like to see Horvat with Higgins and Kassian as well, but unless Bonino/Vey improve substantially at winning draws. It's just not a good idea.

Maybe I'm just hopeful that if Bonino and Vey play together they'll only have to take draws on their strong sides and maybe, just maybe their numbers will come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille